[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk about the people who coined the phrase "Assas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: 1389766079.png.png (91 KB, 402x327) Image search: [Google]
1389766079.png.png
91 KB, 402x327
Lets talk about the people who coined the phrase "Assassin"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
>>
>>441118
What does that cat say?
>>
>>441131
meow
>>
>>441131
Consider, that is a magic animal. Typical jinnee.
His tail is so cute,
so not be with him rude.
>>
>>441162
But what does his text say?
>>
>>441168
Us need to call to a mullah,
with wisdom as part of an allah.
>>
Weren't Muslims great chroniclers and all that? How come there's so little factual info on a group so infamous besides " yeah, they killed that guy that one time "?
>>
>>441275
The thing about secret societies is that they're, well, secret.

It's like asking why there isn't more information about the Illuminati.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>441118
That cat is fucking fab.

And people say Muslims have no culture.
>>
>>441460
I've never heard anyone say Muslim don't have culture.
>>
>>441276
Illuminati is modern. Are you feel difference?
>>
>>441468
are you english?
>>
>>441460
I don't think anyone thinks arabs don't have culture. I think people don't like the ideology of islam.
>>
>>441168
It says a lot of things like in Allah willing, Omar, Mohammed
>>
>>441662
So it is basically an arabic / islamic blingee
>>
File: 1448320324085.png (215 KB, 475x315) Image search: [Google]
1448320324085.png
215 KB, 475x315
>>441118

>They had 'hash' in their name because people they were stoners

That's great. It's too bad the mongols wiped them out.
>>
>>441467
hows womb augments?
>>
>>441718
wat
>>
File: 1447870886155.png (365 KB, 964x936) Image search: [Google]
1447870886155.png
365 KB, 964x936
>>441481

People dislike the ideology of the salafists, the ones that are privy to being luddites and blowing shit up. Al-Qaeda and ISIS have worked hard to popularize that point of view.

>Saudia Arabia could have stopped Wahhabism and thus prevented Salafism from being born
>>
File: 1450650086302.jpg (419 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450650086302.jpg
419 KB, 1280x720
>>441738
>Saudia Arabia could have stopped Wahhabism and thus prevented Salafism from being born
FOR REAL?
>>
>>441748
Not really. The Wahhabists were the main reason the Sauds came to power at all.
>>
>>441738
>luddites
Learn who the luddites actually were. Try EP Thompson, Hammond & Hammond.
>>
File: 306.png (407 KB, 680x544) Image search: [Google]
306.png
407 KB, 680x544
>>441748
>>441755

Not necessarily. The Saudi monarchy originally endorsed Wahhabism but it started causing problems for the country with it's whole "No reform or western influences allowed xD" viewpoint sometime during the middle of the twentieth century. After the Grand Mosque seizure in '79, the government had the perfect opportunity to crack down on the increasingly troublesome movement, which would have likely involved defrocking the powerful Wahhabi clergy. Instead, the monarchy decided to go full throttle with the fundamentalism (giving more power to the clergy, enforcing arbitrary religious laws) to appease the Wahhabis.

They would have been completely justified in wiping them out, and no one would have missed them either. What a wasted opportunity. Too bad for Saudi Arabia, because they have to deal with Al-Qaeda and ISIS now as a result.
>>
>>441758

That's not that off-base of a comparison, is it? He was probably making a point of the fact that Salafists dislike new technology and new ideas. Not luddites exactly, but similar.
>>
>>441783
The luddites were okay with new technology. What they weren't okay with was shilling a day wage cuts, massive changes to rent and gleaning, and forced starvation.

Completely fucking different.
>>
File: hajj.jpg (84 KB, 672x448) Image search: [Google]
hajj.jpg
84 KB, 672x448
>>441779
>"No reform or western influences allowed xD" viewpoint
Sometimes I want to shout "but that's traditionalism not salafism!" but I would be accused of no true scotsman.

Ten years ago I still found a discourse wether photography halal or not. Today everyone take selfie on their hajj.
>>
>>441758
>Using a term that is commonly used to describe something a certain way
>Lel learn where it came from
When I talk about assassins I usually don't mean Persian bounty hunters m8
>>
>>441809
And here I thought we were required to have a high standard of discourse rather than shitting our pants in public, nope, the sticky hasn't changed.
>>
>>441131
>>441162
>>441176
>>441662
It's actually supposed to symbolise Ali ibn Abi Talib as being "Lion of God" (a homage to his piety and masterful fighting abilities).

Muhammad is said to have given him the nickname.

I can't make out the text, however.
>>
>>441118
They didn't coin it themselves.

"Hashashin" was used as a pejorative against them, because Hash was/is considered an intoxicant.

Like "they're out of their minds", and "impious".
>>
File: tmp_5444-Asabah2-702191167.jpg (38 KB, 265x332) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5444-Asabah2-702191167.jpg
38 KB, 265x332
Their method was to create the ultimate clandestine warrior. They would take men from birth, train them in foreign languages and customs, train them in the use of various weapons and poisons, all while brainwashing them during this time to believe that through their sacrifice they would be eternally rewarded. Because Persians have such diverse traits they could get men that looked very western, from brown to blonde to even red hair. These warriors, "assassins," however weren't often used as their leader found it was easier to bribe members of the target's inner circle and have them kill him. They used various methods to achieve this. They would stalk the target, learn what his interests were and therefore what to bribe him with. If he often visited brothels for example he would be bribed with sex.

My father (Persian btw, dad is from Iran and very into history) he once told me a tale about a king who the assassin leader wanted to manipulate. He sent an emissary who outright threatened the king in front of all of his personal guards, his innermost circle of protection. He said something along the lines of "You dare threaten me in front of my guards? Every single one of these men would give their lives for me! Men, draw your swords and point them at your enemy!" They all indeed drew their swords, and pointed them at him.

It was because of this constant fear that Hassan i-Sabbah was regarded as the most powerful man in the region, despite having a small sect that wasn't so vastly numerous as his enemies.

My dad has a lot of cool tales actually, I will probably post a thread later.
>>
>>441892
Oh and as far as their ideology goes, they're known as an Islamic sect. "Ismaili" is the name of it iirc. But their king was a very spiritual man, more of a monk or whatever they call those in Islam. He would often try to interpret "God" and what the divine's relationship with us really was. He once went into the mountains to meditate and pray and when he came back he coined the Assassin's motto: "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

I don't know what a holy man could've meant by this. It directly contradicts Islam. Perhaps he just used it as a means of manipulating his warriors.
>>
>>441275
Blame the mongols, they burned all their books
>>
File: 1444925927664.png (189 KB, 483x481) Image search: [Google]
1444925927664.png
189 KB, 483x481
>>441870
>"Lion of God"

Assad'ullah?
>>
>>442821
Khattab.
>>
>>442774
This, desu.
>>
Got to say, for being the Assassin "Imam of the Atomic Age" this guy doesn't do much supervillainy
>>
>>441903
>I don't know what a holy man could've meant by this.
I don't think anyone knows, given that it was made up by a Slovenian author for his fictional novel about the Assassins.
>>
>>443658
how was it? I [spoiler]stole[/spoiler] it but couldn't make it beyond the first page
>>
File: 2007-07-11-GJ-Ceremony-06.jpg (3 MB, 2700x1800) Image search: [Google]
2007-07-11-GJ-Ceremony-06.jpg
3 MB, 2700x1800
>>441118
They were a group who practiced political assassinations quite often, and who had the reputation of using hashish. Who knows if it's true, but created the habit of using the pejorative term "hashashin", something like "pothead".

By the way, the sect still exists. Since the Alamut fortress was swept by the Mongols, they lost their good reputation. Today the Imam (pic related) is supported by the tithes of millions of faithful, and has a life that Hassan II could ever imagine.

>>441779
Do you know that the House of Saud is descended (in part) from Abd al-Wahhab, and the main defender of Wahhabism since the eighteenth century, right?
>>
>>441738
>Saudia Arabia could have stopped Wahhabism
The House of Saud made a pact with Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Abd_al-Wahhab#Pact_with_Muhammad_bin_Saud
>>
File: AUG terrorists.jpg (18 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
AUG terrorists.jpg
18 KB, 640x360
>>441779
>because they have to deal with Al-Qaeda and ISIS now as a result
The Bin Laden family is a very, very close associate to the House of Saud.

Where do you think the Wahhabis in Syria get their AUG's from?
>>
>>441118
They assassinated two caliphs, did they not?
>>
>>441779
their country mgiht collapse within the decade
>>
>>441798
the thing that people are forgetting is that Islam is also modernizing, shit look at ISIS it's as modern as it can be with it's propaganda video's and what not.

i know a lot of Muslim people who know the quran, but don't really go to mosque and only participate on Ramada. and also qt Muslim girls in my class who wore jordans and some even wore slutty clothes like leggings in combination with a hijab.

desu most Muslim people i know are pretty urban, they love tupac.
and wear high brand clothing like Gucci.

some people from the Muslim community are saying the reason some youth get influenced be radicalized so easily is because they didn't get the right structure/basis at home about their religion and they are searching for it outside.

desu i see this happen to a lot in Christianity people suddenly joining Jehovah witness who weren't really raised that religious.

i also believe all the isis fighter that are coming from western europe is a reaction due to them not feeling they belong, basically the muslim version of fuck whitey.
>>
>>445033

They almost got Saladin, after which he became a good deal more accommodating toward them. The Old Man of the Mountain was not someone to mess with.
>>
>>441903
>"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."
>>443658
>lovenian author for his fictional novel about the Assassins
bartol toke the quote from nietzche and nietzche allegedly take it from hassan ibn sabbah at least that what he says in the genealogy
>>
Ass-Ass-In, sounded gay as fuck
>>
>>441118
>wikipedia thread

sage
>>
>>445033
they were khawarij , not the ismaeli sects. ismaelis are shia, they would have never touched ali.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.