[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he get anything right? Also how does /his/ view psychology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg (876 KB, 1066x1500) Image search: [Google]
Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg
876 KB, 1066x1500
Did he get anything right?
Also how does /his/ view psychology in general and why?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>440963
well are you going to give a serious answer and explain your point of view or are you just going to leave me with a cheeky one word post?
>>
>>440951
The thing is, most of the stuff he got right is seen as so "obvious" now that it seems trivial.

Freud popularized the idea that childhood traumas can effect behavior later in life.
>>
>>440989
Pretty much this. You need to realize that a lot of the ideas we consider "common sense" were not even on the radar till Freud came up.

The very idea that there was an unconscious part of the mind that could control the conscious beyond without any way of 'escaping it' was radical. Freud completely changed the way we view human beings, before than we viewed ourself as entirely rational. He also introduced the idea that one's early life would shape your attitude and destiny for decades to come. He also showed us that sexuality, despite what the Victorians wanted to believe, was a natural and inescapable part of the human condition. Repressing it only makes it appear in more subtle forms, you cannot hide from your subconscious anymore than you can outrun your own shadow.
>>
>>440989
So what you're saying is that what he got right were things that with our wealth of knowledge, seemed trivial and inconsequential, but in his time they were important insights?
>>
>>441019
Exactly.
>>
>>441027
So would you say that he unfairly gets a bad wrap, or that people focus too much on his blunders and ignore his breakthroughs?
>>
>>441030
I would say it's unfair, because, like you said, "people focus too much on his blunders and ignore his breakthroughs".

Everyone overemphasizes the weird parts of Freud, but he's just like any old scientist. Most said alot of really weird and dumb things on top of their most valuable contributions.
>>
>>441042
Also I hear that he's a polarizing figure(I mean in the now, not in his time), is there truth in that or is that just a bunch of phooey?
>>
>>440951
>were you abused as a child or something?
this wasnt an insult/inquiry until freud came along
>>
>>441052
Probably, it's really hard for people to read any historical figure without having seizures because they weren't progressive liberals or whatever. It's also hard to accept that people are complicated and fucked up.
>>
>>441052
Pretty much nothing he did was based on facts or research

I've read about some of his earlier followers who wisened up to him, he was like a cult leader. Everything he shat out was supposed to be propagated by his students without any solid facts or data, and if you questioned it you were out of the group
>>
>>441064
>it's really hard for people to read any historical figure without having seizures because they weren't progressive liberals or whatever
Oh god that pisses me off whenever people superimpose our morality over ancient events. Why do people even do that? Do they honestly think morality of societies have never changed or that morality is an absolute or something?
>>
>>441071
That happens everywhere though. That's basically how cliques work.
>>
That all people are naturally born bisexual, but become heterosexual as they age due to changes in their brain and societial effects on them.
>>
>>440951
Freud basically threw shit at the wall all the time. When he was alive, people loved seeing him flinging shit against the wall.
After he was gone, some of that shit sticked, but most of it didnt.
>>
>>440951
Regardless he's astoundingly influential and should be looked into anyways.
Jung is infinitely more interesting though imo.
>>
He is the father of natural laws.

"Bitches are only good at sucking dick."
-the man himself
>>
he was right about me wanting to have sex with ur mum
>>
>>440951

Westermarck blew Freud the fuck out

All of Sigmund's good ideas were plagiarized from Schopenhauer and Nietzsche. All his original ideas were rubbish.

He transplanted the neuroses which he personally suffered from onto mankind. Like the hideous painter who learns proportions from doing self portraits.
>>
>>441018

He didn't do any of that. Schopenhauer did, and Freud ripped him off.
>>
I've been in Fruedian psychoanalysis for about a year and it always seems strange to me when people act like they just know everything related to Freud is nonsense. I'm not sure they actually know what they're talking about. Then again, I don't really know much about his theories either.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.