[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was most of history really boring for people? First a couple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: 1445436279803.jpg (304 KB, 764x1377) Image search: [Google]
1445436279803.jpg
304 KB, 764x1377
Was most of history really boring for people? First a couple hundred-thousand years of hunting and gathering, then just farming until like 100 years ago.
>>
>>440679
Yes, we are very really lucky.
>>
>>440679
A true saying it is, Desire hath no rest, is infinite in itself, endless, and as one calls it, a perpetual rack, or horse-mill.
>>
>>440686
Care to translate?
>>
>>440690
No.
As in the answer to your initial question.
>>
>>440694
Nice to see /his/ is keeping with the tradition of tripfags being shitposters.
>>
>>440679
it still is

and always will be

farming of some sort or another

learn to appreciate

its all we can do as humans

read this book.
>>
>>440700
What? "No." is the translation, my man.
>>
File: 1446727993867.png (306 KB, 407x415) Image search: [Google]
1446727993867.png
306 KB, 407x415
>>440704
Oh. S..sorry.
>>
File: tiuft7i.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
tiuft7i.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
>>440712
Ain't no thang.
>>
File: hyperventilate.jpg (23 KB, 292x320) Image search: [Google]
hyperventilate.jpg
23 KB, 292x320
>>440686
>>440694
>>440704
>>440712

holy crap this board is so bad
>>
>>440731
then go back to /jp/
>>
Most people spend their life gossiping, trying to get sex, and drinking. That hasn't changed in thousands of years.
>>
>>440739
how about vidyagames?
>>
File: 1450385761079.gif (2 MB, 369x310) Image search: [Google]
1450385761079.gif
2 MB, 369x310
>>440731
Nice contribution to the discussion, mandingo.
>>
>>440743
Normies don't spend more than like 1 hour tops playing vidya, nothing really different than people playing cards or kicking around a rock.
>>
>>440753
Social media? Movies? Reading? Most people through history couldn't read.
>>
>>440679
And then a century of screwing stuff on an assembly line, and then another century of sitting in a cubicle, how is that less boring than farming, honestly?
>>
>>440757
Just use the umbrella term 'escapism' already.
And people had plenty of stuff to do early on.
We're standing on their shoulders right now and there is yet much to be done.
>>
>>440766
Could you explain this post?
>>
>>440757
Social media is just an extension of the natural gossip people engage in. Movies is just people watching or listening to oral stories. Reading is a form of communication akin to listening to someone speak for an extended amount of time.
>>
>>440757
That didn't prevent them from having other distractions. A lot of rural festivities, a bit of poaching on the side, a bit of building houses, storytelling, agricultural fairs, maybe another job if you don't have enough land to make a living (such peasants working on the side were called "occupé d'industrie" in France), like making knives, or cloth.
Plenty of people don't read much, even today.
>>
>>440789
Oh, and I forgot: cooking.
Most of that classic high cuisine shit was first invented by peasants. Nobody is in a better position to know everything about cooking ducks than a guy who raises ducks for a living and eats some every day.
>>
>>440679
Relationships were more genuine and deeper due to people having to rely on each other for survival. Hunting, gathering, farming, all of it was engaging and at times enthralling and wonderful. Nothing like pulling in a large harvest that would ensure starvation wouldn't happen.
Us millenials are so disconnected from "real" work and living that we see everything from our narrow, highly entertained perspective. The problem is we cannot experience true work and labor and the satisfaction from it, so we view it from a perspective of a videogame or a movie.
>>
>>440679
Most people got drunk and fucked.

You'll never fail like common people/
You'll never watch your life slide out of view/
And dance and drink and screw/
Because they'res nothing else to dooooo/

Like a dog lying in the corner/
They'll bite you and never warn you/ look out/
We'll tear your insides out/
Because everyone hates a tourist/
>>
>>440777
You believe in the evolutionism myth which has been debunked years ago.
>>
>>440821
>myth

Just like how gravity isn't real?
>>
>>440821
>>440852
pls no
>>
>>440854
Okay, I won't swallow the b8 that >>440821 is posting. My apologies anon.
>>
>>440796
I doubt that a duck herder would be eating duck in a normal day let alone every day? How many ducks would he need to do that and still have enough ducks to sell them and continue raising them?
>>
>>440949
>sell
>>
>>440949
You're slow aren't you?
>>
>>440949
>duck herder
that's a funny way to put it
also, we are talking about a time before capitalism for the most part
>>
In a 100 years people will say this time seemed boring.
>>
>>442895
Well I wouldnt say times like the 20s were boring
>>
i think it was a different kind of boredom. we live in an age where through the media we are permanently being reminded of the awesome spectacles and adventures we could theoretically be having, so naturally people feel bored because they are conditioned to seek out new highs all the time

now if you were an illiterate peasant say in ancient egypt or the middle ages, of course your life was monotonous as fuck as you spent most of your days slaving away on your field or in a mine or construction site. but it was all you knew.
>>
>>440679
Stop being such an underaged nigger.

People got drunk and fucked and had relationships like the previous posts.

But they also had their share of festivals, religious congregations, and even in the medieval era and beyond, your typical serf had more jobs to do creating more basic goods like milk and wool instead of just foodstuffs.

But there was quite a bit of variety in farming, and you had different seasons to do different things.

The middle class at that time (clergymen, tradesmen) used those basic materials to make wools, dyes, books, plows, and swords.

TL;DR: Most of history was only really boring for faggots like OP.
>>
>>440679
No.

We hold the perception that it was boring because the farther back you go, the less records we have.
>>
>>440679

good thing they had eating, shitting, pissing, menstruating, surviving disease and exposure and generaly staying alive, keeping others alive, fed and healthy, fucking, being pregnant, giving birth, fighting and killing each other to pass the time, eh OP ?

then in those inbetveen times they might have looked up at the stary sky with despair and scream a few curses at their condescending holier-than-thou sparkling asses eternaly spinning up there in the cold hartless firmamment and lo- religion!

wonder how much time pased before humans discovered other uses for the in-out orrifices of their alimentary tract
>>
>>440679
honestly, when you read into it a bit it seems like pre-modern people had a lot more fun than we do. Sure, they didn't have computer games and shit - but when you were at school who were the lucky ones? The ones with the latest Call Of Duty? Or the ones who went to parties, got drunk, and had sex? We still entertain ourselves in much the same way our ancestors did, except that they had better parties (where the whole village would get involved) and they had them more often (medieval Europeans had as much as half the year off for feast days). The only reason we think of the past as dull is because everything got a lot more ordered after the industrial revolution, when suddenly it mattered that you turn up to work at 9am and not 9:20am, and this reached its apex in the first half of the 20th century - i.e. when the oldest people still living in our societies today were born. Same with sexual mores, incidentally - in medieval literature like Chaucer there are open references to cunnilingus (among other things), but because that kind of thing would have got censored in the 1950s we think of the past as sexually repressed.
>>
>>447021

one of the few things im looking fovard to is witnessing the baby-boomers finaly dying out

it will be a happy day
>>
>>447042
Honestly, I'm not thinking of the baby-boomers. The baby boomers were the first generation after the apex - they came of age in the 1960s and started dominating culture in the 1980s. And you know what the result of liberalising social values was? A generation of irresponsible, selfish assholes who took the surplus built up by their fun-less predecessors and wasted it on pointless shit, leaving nothing for those who came after them. So although I will indeed celebrate their demise it won't be because they were kill-joys.

It always baffles me that people seem to think that old-fashioned attitudes to recreation (sex in particular) were just handed down by hateful people who wanted to spoil everyone else's fun. There were good reasons for all the restrictions. Pre-industrial people may have had more fun, but they were also extremely poor. I just hope that as a society we are able to find a balance between work and pleasure that don't result in us either becoming automatons or collapsing back to pre-industrial primitiveness.
>>
>>440679
>then just farming until like 100 years ago.

fuck off nigger
>>
You know I always wondered what people did in their spare time in let's say middle ages aside from drinking and fucking

life without vidya is not a life worth living
>>
>>447556

>implying the common folk had much spare time

The elite participated into nice games like fox tossing and such
>>
>>440679
>First a couple hundred-thousand years of hunting and gathering
people say this shit like it's a bad thing. You don't get more self suffienct than making every single tool you use for anything yourself, and getting and cooking your own food. Civilization is overrated.
>>
>>447609
>implying the common folk had much spare time
But they did, read the thread please.
>>
>>447615

I almost dropped the thread after the first posts.
>>
>>447074
They weren't poor in the modern sense, though, they just didn't have a lot of things. Which isn't terrible.
>>
>>447641
>being cancer
>>
>>447609
surprisingly pre industrial people actually worked less than us
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.