[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about ninjas Are they a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: thing.jpg (113 KB, 521x700) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
113 KB, 521x700
Tell me about ninjas
Are they a meme?
>>
They were farmers. They would kill samurai by sneaking up on them when they didn't expect it. They'd also be useful informants cause they could see troop movements and report them to their lords.

The whole all black clad master swordsmans shit is all Hollywood and Japs selling bullshit to the west to make them look cool.
>>
They sprang from some edgy buddhist sect and were hired for political assasinations
>>
>>439539
Afaik there were also samurais who were ninjas. It's not either or strictly speaking.
>>
>>439539
Yeah black is a terrible color when trying to blend into darkness, it stands out, red and blue work better. It's really hard to see foxes at night cause of their red/orange coats.
>>
>>439590
>>439539
They weren't supposed to be black, they were a VERY dark shade of red
>>
>>439539
The black clad bit is from kabuki theatre. You didn't have extras or chorus in kabuki, so any disguised assassin would be immediately obvious to the audience simply by being on stage. However, stagehands dressed in black and sometimes with covered faces, were often on stage and were supposed to be ignored by the audience. A stagehand, someone just walking through the scene with no relevance to the action whatsoever, suddenly drawing a weapon and killing a major character, would be shocking.
>>
>>439599
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyn-wz5Mk_I

makes sense
>>
>>439539
>The whole all black clad master swordsmans shit is all Hollywood
It's not really hollywood, they've been viewed that way in Japan for ages.
>>
>>439496

Contrary to popular belief, they were not farmers or peasants. They were typically Samurai from certain specific areas of the country. I've also never seen any compelling evidence to show that they wore those black outfits or had all those special tools. It's probably an Edo period romanticization.
>>
>>439590

>Yeah black is a terrible color when trying to blend into darkness, it stands out, red and blue work better.

Explain
>>
>>439991

he means dark colors, like navy blue.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.