[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was it that the Poruguese managed to keep something as large
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 2015-12-20-07-51-42-1609180510.jpg (7 KB, 339x149) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-20-07-51-42-1609180510.jpg
7 KB, 339x149
How was it that the Poruguese managed to keep something as large as Brazil as a colony without Spain or the others taking it from them? They had a tiny population and certaintly had no military to successfully defend it.
>>
>>438920
Weren't they a devout ally of England for years? Pretty sure it was one of the longest alliances in history.
>>
>>438941
Yes, the English loved Port Wine.
>>
>>438920
Treaty of Tordesillas
>>
>>438920
Because the pope said so
>>
>>438920
Why would Spain engage in protracted warfare with Portugal when both were doing well in their expansion outward? It's not like war with Portugal ever worked out in the end for Spain.

You there would be no war in Iberia if one of the powers tried to take colonies from the other?
>>
>>438961
*you think
>>
They only had the harbors and islands on the coast. They would just bribe high class people to force them to trade with them. Other europeans were held off by the forts on the coasts.
But iff they didn't give enough money to the high placed people they would fight against them to.
>>
>>438961
Spanish ships frequently clashed with Portuguese once in the East Indies (Southeast Asia) until Ming Dynasty and the Dutch removed them/limited their presence in the Area.
>>
Because Portugal and Spain both agreed to share the new world, see the treaty of Tordesilhas for the details. Sure Portugal went over the decided borders but Spain had found so much gold and silver on the Andes and La Plata they simply didn't care.
>>
File: grandeatlasdeporradaENG.jpg (3 MB, 1279x6240) Image search: [Google]
grandeatlasdeporradaENG.jpg
3 MB, 1279x6240
There were frequent fights with castille and we generally managed to hold our own.

pardon the pic related memery but there are some relevant battles in there.
>>
>>439049
By 'didnt care' you mean they invaded and completely took them over including their colonies, right? Because thats what happened.
>>
>>439068
It wasn't intended and it wasn't a conquest. What happened is that our King decided to fuck off to Morocco, got himself killed as well with nearly all of the nobility and left no heirs. Next in line was the Queen of Spain, that's how the crowns merged.
>>
Because of the great Alberto Barbosa.
>>
>>439068
Do you even understand royal sucession? The Queen of Spain was the heir to the King of Portugal, who got himself killed like a moron, it wasn't an invasion, and afterwards Portugal broke free from Spain again and took their original colonies with them.
Spain didn't care to invade Brazil.
>>
>>439053
Portugal was also the only country to successfully put-down their colonial revolts after WWII. You'd still own Angola and Mozambique if it wasn't for your revolution.
>>
>>439053
>Thank you England, my greatest ally
>>
>>439095
But not Guinea.
>>
>>438941
Although the English were quite shitty at times.
>>
File: 1450465510960.jpg (180 KB, 596x500) Image search: [Google]
1450465510960.jpg
180 KB, 596x500
>>439053
t. alberto barbosa
>>
>>439155
Even owning one African country would be very valuable these days.

If climate change actually thaws the poles like people say it will, Denmark will laugh all the way to the bank with whatever they reap from the huge landmass they still control from their colonial days.
>>
>>439053
Three of the battles was post Wellington reforming and retraining the portagese army with british officers. Dont count as without Wellingtons brain france would have taken portagal. Wellington reformed and trained your army. wellington planned,oversaw and manned the lines of torres verde (spelling may not be right) basically 3 line of forts on the lisbon penisula blocking french accsess to lisbon without taking massive casualties. Wellington chased the french out of portugal and pursued them all the way to france. Your conrtibution was not all that.
>>
>>439053

And if i can pick out all those faults in those battles from the one piece i know about the rest of that is probably bullshit as well
>>
>>439196
>>439200

And yet the men fighting in the fields were portuguese. That's why the force is generally called the Anglo-Portuguese army. Both sides were vital.
The reason Wellington was needed was because Soult dissolved our army when he took the country in the first invasion. We didn't have officers, we didn't have uniforms, the cavalry didn't even have horses and the soldiers were living at the expense of the locals who gave them whatever food they could.

I told you the image was done to glorify and to serve as propaganda.
>>
>>439207
Hmm i dunno bout that. Ill have to check that out when i get home. I have a peer reviewed book on lord wellington. wikipedia says that porpotionally there was two englishmen for every portagese. But it is wikipedia. I know that wellington was surprised that the portagese werent completely useless at fighting the first time the newly trained portagese troops were deployed in battle.
>>
>>439230
Check, but I was under the impression there was only a small force of British ranging in the couple of thousands.

Portuguese wikipedia says the same so maybe I'm just wrong. Alright, I'll give you this one, the rest is safe unless you count 300 english longbowmen at Aljubarrota very decisive :^)
>>
>>439244
Wow, how civil this has turned out to be. Fair play man.
>>
Their biggest expansion in Brazil was when they were a kingdom of Spain, under the rule of Philip II. So the Treaty of Tordesillas was pretty useless.
>>
>>439387
True but they never bothered to reclaim it after Portugal gained its independence again.
>>
>>439193
But what land does Denmark still have? Greenland?
>>
>>438920
Pretty sure there was a Papal decree that divided the New World.

Also they are neighbors so why would they attack colonies if they went to war, when they could just take Portugal/Spain itself?
>>
>>439487
>Greenland

Yes, for the time being at least. They're on their way to gain independence.
>>
>>439495
Isn't Greenland just a massive amount of Ice though?
>>
>>439508
It is but underneath all that ice there's a shit ton of valuable minerals and possibly some gas and oil. If there wasn't they wouldn't be striving for independence.
>>
people don't give the credit, but we had top notch military and naval technology in the 15th century, that contributed to solidify our presence. Plus, we were never "bad" to the slaves so we never had to worry about revolts.

>>439095
thanks commies! we had a military victory, the war was over.
>>
>>440039
>we had a military victory, the war was over.
Bitch please. Guinea-Bissau was pretty much lost, it was a fucking meat-grinder for the Portuguese Army, in Angola and Mozambique there was no real safety outside the major cities.

You can blame the 'commies' for the shitty decolonization process but to say that Portugal had won the war in the colonies is either delusion or disingenuous revisionism.
>>
>>438920

By being c u c k s of England.
>>
>>438920
Spain as well had a tiny population. It just wasn't worth.
>>
>>440285
The war in Mozambique and Angola was pretty much won, the rebels were confined deep in the jungle.
Guinea was more difficult but general Spinola was doing well. However Guinea was knda useless at the time ( they were very important at the expansion of the empire), but just giving up on them would send a bad message on the other colonies.
>>
>>438920
portugese were autistically rich for a long time
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.