[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How fast does time flow?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
File: Time-1024x861.jpg (130 KB, 1024x861) Image search: [Google]
Time-1024x861.jpg
130 KB, 1024x861
How fast does time flow?
>>
File: 1450266648876.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450266648876.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
At the rate of sixty seconds a minute, sixty minutes an hour and twenty four hours in one day.
>>
>>434871
1 second per second
>>
>>434871

It doesn't.

We experience time as a series of singular moments, when in fact all those moments exist as a singular simultaneous occurrence.

If you think of time as just a 4th spatial dimension, and consider our position in the 3d dimension as relative to the 4th as our shadows (2nd dimension) are to us, you can see clearly that we are limited in the scope of our vision.
>>
>>434914
>block universe
But does that mean subjective, tensed time is an illusion?
>>
>>434871
c
>>
>>434990
Is 0 less than 1? You don't need to be traveling through a continuum of points from 0 to 1 for 0 to be less than 1.
>>
>>434910
what if you are 1 meter from the event horizon of the supermassive blackhole at the center of the galaxy
>>
>>434891
This is the closest thing to an answer tbhfam.
>>
>>435004
Then 1 will be equal to 2
>>
>>435004
>reading Brian Greene
>>
>>434871
either more or less than you want it to flow. maybe at points, it flows at a rate you would feel comfortable with, but that would pass through your sensory filters as sand through a fishing net. meaning, you wouldn't think of time at a point like that.
>>
>>434871
It depends
>>
That we rationalize time in the scientific terms of minutes and seconds is irrelevant to time perception and consciousness.

Perceptual time is pretty fascinating, especially on how it is affected by psychedelics. I had an infinity moment on acid, where time literally stood still or slowed where every second felt like an eternity. Then on alcohol, an hour can fly by in the span of minutes, explaining how you managed to burn mac and cheese because you didn't think to check on it.

Do animals percieve time too? Or is the perception of passed time unique to sentient beings?
>>
>>435004
It's still 1 second per second, relative to yourself.
>>
>>436214
All mammals have a circadian rhythm, so they must be "aware" of time in some sense at least.
>>
>>434871
relatively..
>>
>physics says all times exist
>past, present, and future depends on the observer
>temporal flow is an illusion
Consciousness is more fundamental, I guess
>>
>>434871
Time flows as fast as events happen.
>>
>>436309
But what actually causes them to happen in sequence?

What moves?
>>
>>436328
The answer is time
>>
That's like asking us to describe the color red to a blind person (or a better example would be being asked to describe the 3rd dimension to a 2nd dimension observer)
>>
>>434871
24 hrs 6 minutes / day
>>
>>436339
What moves time?
>>
>>436429
time is the name we use to describe the process of rising entropy. "Time" does not "move".
>>
File: 1388305183756.jpg (35 KB, 479x591) Image search: [Google]
1388305183756.jpg
35 KB, 479x591
I've never really bought into the whole "time doesn't real" thing as outlined in >>436300

Part of me is skeptical because science always has had a habit of saying "This doesn't real, that doesn't real, nothing is real, herp derp" espeically seeing as how "block time" is literally a per-einstenian concept developed using 1800's understanding of physics. Beyond that, I've got quite a lot of questions - chief among which how would anything even be possible?

Time is asymmetric. All of known physics, from conventional to quantuum physics, requires time to be asymmetric. That is to say, events occur in a particular "direction", among which they cannot flow backwards. You can ring a bell, but you can't un-ring a bell. Gravity causes objects to fall towards each other, rather than repel each other. Hell, the entire field of thermodynamics is built on the asymmetry of time.

Beyond that, how would even the most basic of things be possible if time were not asymmetric? Things like causality, consciousness, movement, anything at all? Saying "time is an illusion, all events are happening simeltaneously" to me kind of seems like saying "space is just an illusion, all objects exist within the same area/ have the same mass", its kind of absurd.
>>
>>436524
It is "just" matter organizing or disorganizing, depending on how you look at it, in a process that lowers capacities of exchange/interaction until, theoretically, a point of no more possible exchange/interaction between all and any existing agents. A point where "time" stands still. In other words, again, "time" is the word we use to describe the exchange/interaction of energy as well as the flow or rate of that exchange/interaction.
This might also hint to the perceived temporal differences between macro and micro levels of the cosmos.
>>
>>434871
depends on where you are, and your relative speed m8
>>
>>436524
>>436617
I like this explanation
>>
>>436584

If we look at time as the 'fourth dimension' this is where the idea of past, present, and future occurring at once comes from. Try giving Flatland a read, I think it ended up partly inspiring Einstein to come up with relativity. The whole book can be seen as a metaphor for third dimensional beings attempting to understand the fourth dimension, time.
>>
>>436684

Are you sure this isn't just a fundamental misunderstanding of determinism?
>>
>>434871
it flows at the rate of one magma
>>
>>436684
Looks like the onus is on you guys for explaining how consciousness perceives time flowing in this block

>hard mode: don't explain it using 'entropy'
>>
>>436214
>on alcohol, an hour can fly by in the span of minutes

I've actually experienced the reverse, time appearing to slow down significantly as I reach a specific level of drunk.
>>
>>436584
>kind of seems like saying "space is just an illusion, all objects exist within the same area/ have the same mass"

in an ultimate sense this is true.

Think about the 3rd dimension as it exists in this moment, in it's totality. It is a unified essence.
>>
>>436706
>explaining how consciousness perceives time flowing

You normally read left to right, correct?

This is a shitty metaphor, but it gives you a picture.
>>
>>436688

This idea of the fourth dimension doesn't advocate for an already determined 'future' that is unavoidable. The fourth dimension can be viewed as the bending of spacetime relative to the speed of light, considering this, the flow of time is vastly different depending on gravity and whether or not you are traveling near the speed of light. With this in mind, it can be said that there really is no past/present/future because time is merely how the universe reacts to keeping the speed of light constant.

>>436706

Just the way our consciousness was developed based on the fact we aren't traveling near light speeds or living on the rim of a super massive black hole.
>>
>>436706
Maybe consciousness follows the arrow of time
>>
>>436718

>in an ultimate sense this is true.

No. Not really.
For me to actually punch you in your mouth I'd actually have to find you and punch you in the mouth. If what you are saying is true my fist would already be within the same area as your mouth and thus I'd be punching you in the mouth right now.
>>
>>434871
Relative to what bud
>>
Imagine a universe that only contains a single, static and unchanging object.
How would you define time in this universe?
Would it even exist?
>>
60 FPS.
>>
I feel like this is going to come off as edgy, but time doesn't really exist, there's just varying rates of growth and entropy. As in, you're born, you grow up, you get older, you die
>>
>>434871
As fast as you want it to be. As long as the following measurements are relative.
>>
>>434871
>implying time is even real
>>
it doesn't. time is an abstract category that humans need to organize their existence but is has no substance/existence beyond that
>>
>>434871
well if you do some shrooms 6 hours will feel like a day and a half
>>
>>436636
well, you could say it is a decent one.
The thing is it opens up another maybe
bigger question: what is energy.
>>
>>436617
3/3
What's more, this also helps in understanding how "past" events affect the "present" or "future".
They, these "events" that are not to be seen in isolation, are energy exchanges/interactions of
lower flow rates.
One short hand example of that might be observed in the practice of architecture. Architecture (there is
no distinction here between false categories of high and low. I'm talking about all surviving structures)
is about energy hubs with the potential to burn out slowly. These energy hubs impose the organizing of energy
on their own terms while new modes of energy organizing emerges (new architecture). The deference between past and new
modes of energy organizing, or modes of living and imagining, is the surplus or side-effect that lays the bases for the
"imaginary" or nominal world of history. [I haven't thought this over as much as I would have liked to, but as a working
structure it ads up decently well I think]
But this applies to every "constructed" object, man-made or not.
From the above, namely the interaction with an object from the past, an object that signifies a certain concentration
of energy in a particular way, lays the foundations for the historical question proper: what was this/that made for?
And thus this vague mixture of actual and imaginary radical otherness emerges that we designate as this distant place,
the Past (as well as the future).
>>
As a perception, the more time you have experienced, the faster it flows. That's why the more you grow (as in you experience more and more time), the more it flies fast. It's just a matter of proportion : when you're 5 years old, 1 years is 1/5 of your life, so it looks very long, while when you're 50, it's 1/50 of your life so you don't feel as it is an as long time as when your younger.

After that, there is the physical time variable, with an arbitrary numerical scale to measure time, but there again, it's a matter of scale : 0.1ms in atomic scale can be considered a very long scale while 10.000 years light is very short on an astronomical scale.
>>
Time, being the only item that is individually limited, and also an unknown quantity per the individual, is therefore the only true currency of man.
>>
>>434871
How rich is the dollar?
>>
88 MPH
>>
time has no speed, it is the measure of speed
>>
The only reliable thing with which to measure time is light. Time flows at a rate of one second per 300 million metres travelled by light.
>>
>>434871
It flows based on the rate we come up with for how fast time travels in relation to space.
>Oh shit, that is speed.
Time is an incremental measurement of the rotation of the earth split onto the actual size of the earth.
>fuck my head
Time is whatever we want it to be. If we started pouring water at a steady rate into a bowl, and hen timed it from sunup to noon, the bowel would be that full of water. We then can take the fluid in the bowl and measure it, then divide the water in the bowl by the rate...
>fuck fuck fuck i'm a historian for a reason
Time flows however we fast we decide to count it. So time is an illusion we come up with to count how many days we have based on the season int he year unless you live on the equater and then you base it on a seasonal event like an annual flood (see: Ancient Egypt) the time inbetween the floods can then be measured on the rate crops grow so that we can determine the best time to harvest or if there even was a harvest inbetween the flows
>Fuck you op, I hate you so much right now
The measurement of time and how quickly it flows is based on your perception of the world around you. Take it from the point of when you are reading a totally engrossing book. You get so into it it only feels like it's been 5 mins, when it's really been 5 hours.
>FUCK FUCKING SHIT, OP, YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!
Time flows only as fast as we are willing to count it. It is then set in motherfucking stone for all to see and live by so that everything runs on time. It is a set standard made by math geeks.

For fucks sake op, leave my brain alone.
>>
Let's put this to rest once and for all:
(1 -1 -1 -1) or (-1 1 1 1)?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.