[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can you tell me about the Celtic religion?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg (522 KB, 1181x979) Image search: [Google]
Gundestrup_Cernunnos.jpg
522 KB, 1181x979
What can you tell me about the Celtic religion?
>>
>>434616
Animist/Pagan with druid wizardry
>>
>>434725
Also Cernunnos isn't important at all, unless you're a Wiccan
>>
It wasn't really much of a religion. Every bumfuck hamlet had a completely different pantheon and there was no codified list of deities or method of worship. It was just kind of a theistic animism.

Which are just some of the reasons why Celtic Neopaganism and Wicca are baloney.
>>
>>434616
Not much since not a lot of practises, beliefs and gods survived, they did believed in reincarnation though
>>
>>435955
Celts do not has pantheon. In the woods hierarchy not exist.
>>
Celts weren't unified. Irish mythology differs to Brittanic.
>>
What if we limit the scope to the most relevant celts? What can you tell me about the Gaulish religion? Who the fuck is Tutatis?

(I'm not OP though)
>>
The Druids did their religion a great disservice, when they were introduced to writing they refused to write it down because they believed the knowledge was too sacred, now its lost
>>
I've never been entirely clear, are shit like banshees and cait sith Celtic?
>>
>>434616
They fucked horses ritually.
>>
>>436540
Not that weird. Zoroastrians needed several centuries if not more than a millennium (the date for the composition of the oldest parts of the avesta is disputed) to decide themselves and write their sacred texts.
>>
>>436376
'Gauls', like all Celtic groups, are only a very vague group of delated tribes that spoke dialects of a common language.

Few deities were worshipped across the tribal cultures and instead local patron deities were the norm. One such example of an inter-tribal deity is Toutatis (Teutates, Tutatis etc.) who existed in a trinity of gods together with Taranis and Esus, Teutatis being literally translated as "god of the tribe" and appears to have been a deity of royalty and war, Taranis being the typical sky/thundergod and Esus being usually associated with Merkur from the Roman pantheon, becoming a mercantile and messenger deity.

Sources and archrological finds indicate that deities were closely associated with rivers, moors and healing springs, as well as certain mountains. We must assume that each locally important natural landmark was therefore considered a sacred thing which mus be appeasex through sacrifice.
>>
File: 1394586545919.jpg (98 KB, 550x365) Image search: [Google]
1394586545919.jpg
98 KB, 550x365
>>436592
ancient bronies when will they learn
>>
They likely believed in the common sort of Indo-European belief-systems that they were also a part of. Many cognates between 'em. A male sky god, a female motherly fertility/moon god, a hot-headed war god, a younger goddess of beauty/wisdom, various elemental spirits, etc...

>>436540
>Druids
>Celtic
derp
>>
Cuckoldry: the religion
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.