[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everything middle brow or higher has never been succeeded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1450529924465.jpg (64 KB, 563x520) Image search: [Google]
1450529924465.jpg
64 KB, 563x520
Why does everything middle brow or higher has never been succeeded in being funny?

picrelated is funnier than all novels and artistic works put together
>>
>>433888
Mel Brooks considers Ulysses to be the funniest novel of 20th century.
>>
Because the funniest things are the ones you didn't expect
>>
Because you're a pleb
>>
>>433888
I assume you've read Wool on the middle brow and are middlebrow.
>>
>>433900
>>
this >>433900
Not that I am particularly high brow but I can get into something like "yes minister" after a while.

It really is a matter of subjective tastes, you have to understand it to get it, if all you can understand is something simple like "lol le fedora tip meme" then the opposite is true and in fact your world is much greyer and your cultural life far smaller.
>>
>>433905
Woolf obv.
>>
Mark Twain is pretty hilarious sometimes, especially his scathing travel writings. He straddles a nice middle ground between middle and high brow.

And those bawdy and bizarre marginata of medieval manuscripts were funny before the internet turned them into memes desu senpai
>>
>>434026
Also, Shakespeare's comedies,and even tradgedies are often very low brow, lots of toilet humour and jokes about virgins and maidenheads and sexual innuendo and drunkards.

He often aimed for the lower classes, cos thats what filled seats.

If you read an edition with notes and translations, it becomes pretty bawdy. Taming of the shrew especially is fucking witty as fuck.
>>
L
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHb8tBh_VnU

OP here. I just saw this on /tv/ and this is easily funnnier than all the Pynchon, DFW, and Nabokov books I've read, plus many others but I mention these just to illustrate the failure of almost anything high brow to be humorous.
>>
>>434026
Mark Twain was a pedophile.
>>
Fuck yourself OP
Candide is fucking hilarious
>>
How do I know if what I find funny is low middle high or quadraphonic brow?
>>
>>433888
That just means you're pleb

Don Quixote made me laugh my ass off and that image barely made me kek internally.
>>
>>438586
i'm a pedophile
>>
File: 1449519700034.jpg (134 KB, 1366x728) Image search: [Google]
1449519700034.jpg
134 KB, 1366x728
>>439764
;)
>>
Humor comes from pain, making light of a horrible situation.

Lots of "safe humor" lacks this quality.

Toilet humor is stuff that children can understand to be funny, which is why its on the lower end of the humor spectrum.
>>
File: suck mah balls.jpg (25 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
suck mah balls.jpg
25 KB, 500x418
>>434026
They're still funny even now.
>>
>>439796
*tips fbi*
>>
>>433888
Comedy is subjective.

The funniest book ever written is Reflections on the Revolution in France. What's your funniest book, /his/?
>>
Are 4chan memes really low brow though? You have to know the culture to get them
>>
>>440143
Knowing the lingo doesn't change the fact that the jokes are about feces or jizz half the time
>>
>>440159
This particular one that the OP used is about neither though, it is about the futility of courtship and the pain it has brought all of us at some point.
>>
Jerome k Jerome was pretty funny and he was middle brow.
>>
>>440195
lol no. It is about making fun of that kid we all knew in school who thought being "classy" was the way to get laid.
>>
>>440159
You gotta know the context to laugh at OP though, you barbarian.
>>
>>433888
Have you ever read Azazel? It's fairly middle brow, but it's unexpectedly hilarious for someone like Asimov
>>
>>438066
damn, that is pretty funny. it kind of isn't low brow though
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>438066
Sorry you're so basic. Life is tough
>>
>>439796
>the open tabs
>>
>>434038
This. "Much Ado About Nothing" basically meant "It's all about Pussy"

If he were alive today, he would be a writer for the Scary Movie franchise.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.