[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has the better end in regards to the remains of their colonial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: France-Constituent-Lands.png (382 KB, 3337x3300) Image search: [Google]
France-Constituent-Lands.png
382 KB, 3337x3300
Who has the better end in regards to the remains of their colonial empires, France or UK?
>>
File: UK.png (1 MB, 3188x1964) Image search: [Google]
UK.png
1 MB, 3188x1964
>>433775
>>
>>433775
France also has a bunch of independent* countries in Africa.

*not at all
>>
>>433790
True, but then UK also has the commonwealth. Lets leave this out for the sake of discussion. Lets just talk about the turf they officially hold.
>>
>>433775
If we'd kept Hong Kong I'd say The UK.

Having Cyprus and Gibraltar is pretty neat though.
>>
File: timz.jpg (775 KB, 936x2648) Image search: [Google]
timz.jpg
775 KB, 936x2648
>>433775
France has the most extended "empire" (pic related)
They also have a "non-island" territory in South-America proper
>>
>>433775
France I'd say. They still have an attitude that allows for it.

Now in Britain we're deathly afraid of anything resembling colonialism and there are people that literally think the Falklands shouldn't be ours because we invaded and kicked out the native Argentinians.
>>
>>433775
France, French Guyana and New Caledonia actually are worth something, plus they got better holiday resorts in the Pacific and Indian oceans.
>>
>>433952
New Caledonia rightfully belongs to the British desu.
>>
File: WHYNIGGAWHY.jpg (19 KB, 261x247) Image search: [Google]
WHYNIGGAWHY.jpg
19 KB, 261x247
>>433956
>>
>>433961
Belongs to old Caledonia lad.
>>
>>433969
>Belongs to old Caledonia lad.
I guess you then also claim New York as rightfully British?
>>
>>433973
It was for a time.

Wouldn't mind getting it back desu but I guess the rights to it were lost when it wasn't defended well enough.
>>
File: Malien-pro-Hollande_pics_390.jpg (80 KB, 390x249) Image search: [Google]
Malien-pro-Hollande_pics_390.jpg
80 KB, 390x249
Hello Friends.
>>
>>433827

Why didn't you?
>>
>>433991
China STRONG
>>
>>433991
Most of it was on a 99 year lease and it was coming to an end.

Defending it would have been an issue too. Feel sorry for Hong Kong though because I know for a fat they don't want to be tied to the mainland.
>>
>>434001

not really though

they're a paper dragon, and most of their equipment is gutted, their officer corp is corrupt as shit, they have massive demographics issues, and I'm not even sure if they have a navy.

Was this back when the Soviet Union was still a thing?
>>
>>433775
>>433776
Any other Euros with overseas territories?
>>
>>434011
The Dutch I think. Possibly the Belgians.
>>
>>434006
Maybe if your comparing them to the US or talking about their power projection sure. But when you attacking an isolated city on your border nobody could mount a proper defense against their numbers. Especially when they could just turn off the city's water and watch all the citizens die of thirst. Britain had no choice but to give it up.
>>
>>434006
>they're a paper dragon, and most of their equipment is gutted, their officer corp is corrupt as shit, they have massive demographics issues, and I'm not even sure if they have a navy.
Funnily enough, this was the Chinese army c.a. 70's-early 90's. That's going gone now, so Britain eternally blew its chances in getting HK back.

Also
>Postwar European Militaries.
I mean, sure they're fine for scrapping with Third world cunts, but no idea if they can dish it out with Second Worlders
>>
>>434048
France's military is breddy gud.
>>
>>434021
>>434011
>The Dutch
We have the ABC Islands aswel as the SSS Islands.

We could've had West Papua aswel if not for the Americans.

And Suriname, but they put it to a vote and the population didn't care enough about it to do anything to stop it. Besides, most of Suriname is here already, lmao.
>>
>>434112
What about the Antilles?
>>
>>434048
>no idea if they can dish it out with Second Worlders
Number wise, not really. Focus nowadays is on smaller but more professional armies.
>>
>>434118
>the Antilles
I'm going to assume you're referring to the the Dutch Lesser Antilles? Because the Antilles themselves cover almost all of the Caribbean.

Aruba and CuraƧao are both 'countries' within the Kingdom (much like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are countries within the U.K.), with Bonaire being a Special Muncipality.

The SSS islands are a leftover of our bit of the Lesser Antilles. Sint Maarten is a seperate country within in aswel (and is our landborder with France funnily enough - Damn you Belgium!). Saba and Sint Eustasius (spelling?) are also both Special Muncipalities.

Basically, since some of these islands decided to be countries within the Kingdom the term stopped being applicable to their situation. Though a lot of their decendants within the Netherlands are referred to as "Antillianen".

Furthermore Belgium doesn't have any overseas territories, because Belgium is shit. Though you should give them a hand for trying to get colonies.
>>
File: PLA_ballistic_missiles_range.jpg (571 KB, 1420x873) Image search: [Google]
PLA_ballistic_missiles_range.jpg
571 KB, 1420x873
>>434048
>Funnily enough, this was the Chinese army c.a. 70's-early 90's. That's going gone now, so Britain eternally blew its chances in getting HK back.

Nukes, bruv. Nukes.
>>
FALKLAAAAAAANDS!*

*Aircraft carrier sold separately
>>
>>433776
>Isle of Man
>Channel Islands
Not really overseas territories, just administrative anomalies.
>>
>>434011
Canarias, Ceuta and Melilla (Spain) as well as Madeira (Portugal) are basically in Africa, but I think they're not considered overseas territory.
>>
>>434011
Spain got Ceuta and Melila, Portugal has Azoes and Madeira and Denmark is the proud owner of the Faroes and all of Greenland.
>>
>>434277
>Canarias, Ceuta and Melilla (Spain) as well as Madeira (Portugal) are basically in Africa, but I think they're not considered overseas territory.
Still nice places to make some holidays.
>>
>>433775
UK had more people, more land, more trade, more sea, better colonies which have ended up better
>>
>>433926
>Now in Britain we're deathly afraid of anything resembling colonialism and there are people that literally think the Falklands shouldn't be ours because we invaded and kicked out the native Argentinians.

Bristol? London? Manchester?
>>
>>434006
The handover happened in the 1990s, so no. It was probably more of an issue of the UK wanting to be seen as not backing out on their deals. Nevermind the fact that HK would much rather be under British rule than under the thumb of the CCP.
>>
>>433991
Not a chance they could have held off China taking HK.
>>
>>435040
>Nevermind the fact that HK would much rather be under British rule than under the thumb of the CCP.
Wasn't the case in 1990's. HK wanted to be independent actually. Singapore style.

There have been resistance against British rule since the 40's and if you watch almost ALL KUNG FU MOVIES set in HK courtesy of the Shaw Brothers, Whitey was always the final bad guy behind the Chinese criminal.

This is largely due to the fact that the Chinese weren't listed as British subjects like most overseas territories were.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.