[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Before pic related, what was considered the ultimate historical evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13
File: sw.jpg (69 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
sw.jpg
69 KB, 900x720
Before pic related, what was considered the ultimate historical evil?
>>
>>433422
The Mongols.
>>
>>433422
Firstly, history doesn't consider evils.

Secondly fuckwits thinking about the past normally considered Napoleon to be the ultimate historical evil, promoted by English protestants and reactionary Catholics.
>>
In early modern Britain it was Papal regimes, especially Spain. Then it was Napoleon. Then during the Great War it was probably the evil Huns.

In France I would assume it was Germany, especially after 1870.

And then of course Bolshevism was seen as an immediate threat to western civilization, especially after 1918 but also during the Second Internationale by many people.
>>
For Republican Rome it was the Gauls who sacked Rome or Hannibal.
>>
Attila
Mongols
Napoleon
Jews
>>
>>433470
>considered
>perceived by plebs
Keep up.
>>
>>433422

in eastern europe it was either ottomans or russians depending who you asked
>>
>>433422

communism
>>
Did other Western states crack down on Communism as hard as Germany did under Hitler? I'm not talking in Cold War times, but during the early years after the Whites and their allies in Russia were defeated.
>>
>>434229

they werent as destabilised, fascism and nacism were literaly 'reactionary movements', schoolbook example, to a letter

the west even supposretd them in the begining as a 'third way' alternative to revolution, which was the biggest no no of pre-war time
>>
>>433422
Probably Gommunism after the October Revolution.

Anything before that would likely vary widely between nations.
>>
>>433422
Byzantium
>>
>>434234
Like Franco, Pinochet and co.?
>>
Depends on when and where.
Contenders could be: Gengis Khan, Napoleon, Marx, the French Revolution, differing religions (Judaism and Islam in particular), Carthage, the barbarians, the list can go on and on and on.
>>
>>433576
Ignore and report you fucking moron
>>
File: 1447868195004.jpg (96 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
1447868195004.jpg
96 KB, 816x816
>>433422
>>
>>434253

yep, pretty much, better to have a bunch 'pro western' butchers stabilise the country than to allow a commie revolution and loose investments
>>
>>434239
Good one
>>
>>434285
The Ottomans were the laughing stock of Europe for like 150 years and then died 20 or so years before Papa Adolf was even a thing.
>>
>>434295
Where are those people now?

>muh democracy
>muh arab spring
>muh moderate rebels
>>
>>433431
>Firstly, history doesn't consider evils.

Yes it does. I know you're trying to talk about muh academics but most people most of the time apply morality all over historical discourse. You might say "Historians shouldn't" but saying "History doesn't" is silly.
>>
>>433431

I thought it had to do with the fact that he had a bunch of dudes with guns shooting at the British, Germans and Russians, but maybe that's just me
>>
>>434239
What did Byzantium do of value in terms of the global scale? Maybe their fall was important but it's entire history was just a slow death
>>
>>433449
>Then during the Great War it was probably the evil Hun
what did Hungary even do bck then?
>>
As a French it felt pretty weird discovering Napoleon is hated almost everywhere when he is/was glorified here
>>
>>434308
This. After the XVII century no one cared about the Ottoman, since your neighbor country was probably more of a threat than them.
>>
The Papacy.

The Roman Catholic church has murdered over 50 million Christians for simply reading the Bible.
>>
>>433422
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genrikh_Yagoda

>Nazi Germany
>the worst
sure if you're relying on a public education without having spent you're own time investigating.
>>
>>436294
>reading comprehension
>>
File: euphoric.gif (2 MB, 230x172) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.gif
2 MB, 230x172
>>436277
>>
>>436260
Cared about them enough when it came to stopping Russia from feasting on their corpse.
Same dealeeo with Persia's imploding.
>>
>>436319
Well still, the Cheka, and the Bolsheviks in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheka

"Plausible evidence reveals that the actual numbers . . . vastly exceeded the official figures."[25]Chamberlin provides the "reasonable and probably moderate" estimate of 50,000,[24]while others provide estimates ranging up to 500,000.[26][27]Several scholars put the number of executions at about 250,000.[28][29]Some believe it is possible more people were murdered by the Cheka than died in battle.[30]

Lenin himself seemed unfazed by the killings. On 12 January 1920, while addressing trade union leaders, he said: "We did not hesitate to shoot thousands of people, and we shall not hesitate, and we shall save thecountry."[31]. On 14 May 1921, thePolitburo, chaired by Lenin, passed a motion "broadening the rights of the [Cheka] in relation to the use of the [death penalty]."[32]
>>
>>434308
>>436260
They were good for 350 years before that though, so I'd say they had a good run.
>>
Hulagu Borjigin

Remember 1258

#AbbasidLivesMatter
>>
>>433422
The Eternal Anglo
>>
>>433422
Depends, but Judas and Brutus were both pretty hated.
>>
>>433422

Lots and lots of people hated the Turks, and Islam in general I guess.

The Mongols and the Huns really shouldn't ever get a good rap.

Napoleon doesn't deserve all the hate he gets, but he gets it anyways because the english are butthurt.
>>
>>434308

they really did get btfo at Lepanto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPLXaZzIwEw
>>
>>436326
i dont even understand th fedora mem anymore
>>
>>436249
>Come on, let me in; I just want to invade Portugal
>I'll even help you stabilize your country a bit, like you asked me to
>We're allies after all
>HAHAHA BACKSTAB
>Oh you didn't like that? Well fuck you, get shot
Napoleon was kind of a dick, you've got to admit that
>>
>>437652
>implying Napoleon personally ordered anything that happened in Spain
>>
>>433422

The Jews
>>
File: HimmlerLoyola.jpg (74 KB, 421x380) Image search: [Google]
HimmlerLoyola.jpg
74 KB, 421x380
>>433422
Jesuits
>>
>>437663
>Implying Hitler killed every jew himself
It's not Napoleon as a person that we hate, but what it represents to us.
That said, Spain has always had a hateboner for France
>>
>>433430
You faggot the mongols were Gods, the huns and Persians were faggots same with the ottomans and seljuks
>>
>>436277

Source ?
>>
>>436277
>believing protestant propaganda

The Spanish Inquisition that you heretics shit your pants over barely killed 2000 people in over 200 years.
>>
File: tombeau-de-napoleon-tombe.jpg (218 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
tombeau-de-napoleon-tombe.jpg
218 KB, 600x398
>>437652
>Napoleon was kind of a dick, you've got to admit that
I admit it, he just has a really good reputation over here
>>
File: zeller - der totale staat.jpg (44 KB, 500x410) Image search: [Google]
zeller - der totale staat.jpg
44 KB, 500x410
for the abrahamic religions, ancient egypt. it represents slavery and idolatry, and stood pars pro toto for the pagan world against which the jews defined themselves

and it has often been used to describe a state that was considered evil to really get the point across. it's the prototype of human vainglory and inhuman dictatorship
>>
>>437840
autism
>>
>>436443
This desu everyoen was afraid of the turk coming and fucking their shit up.
>>
File: germanimperialflag.png (13 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
germanimperialflag.png
13 KB, 2000x1333
>>433422
>what was considered the ultimate historical evil?

This.
>>
File: the-TURK.jpg (379 KB, 1455x1092) Image search: [Google]
the-TURK.jpg
379 KB, 1455x1092
>>433422
>Before pic related, what was considered the ultimate historical evil?

In Europe, the Turks and the Islam they were spreading. Turks were considered the arch-nemesis of Europe since their begining, even today in every european language the word "turk" is always meant as an insult or in a derogatory manner.

This is also coming back today.
>>
>>436249
>Napoleon is hated almost everywhere
He isnt

>when he is/was glorified here
He isnt either

Napoleon is only hated in Britain and maybe Spain/Russia
He's loved in Poland ans Slovenia
Everywhere else, he's neutraly seen as a great conqueror

And no, he's not worshipped in France
Self-hatred/guilt about history is very strong in the country
>>
>>437652
Spain wasn't an ally though, it was a subdued former enemy
What Napoleon did to Spain in 1808 is no different to what the Reich did to Vichy in 1942
>>
>>439519
What is the autism going on in the pic?
>>
>>439554
Teasing starving kids with bread
>>
File: turk.jpg (254 KB, 1298x1316) Image search: [Google]
turk.jpg
254 KB, 1298x1316
>>439554
>armenian genocide
>teasing starving armenian children with bread
turks acting turkish
>>
>>438744
Isn't hating Babylon more typical for those reasons?
>>
>>433422
For yurop, it was Islam and especially the turks - they were generally considered to pose an existential threat to Christendom.
>>
>>436237
It was a boogeyman only for the elite of Catholic and Protestant Europe, since they were the only ones who knew of it's existence. Mostly it was historians who hated them for the headaches they gave them.
>>
>>438749
Cmon, China was weak and pathetic and the mongols took out the seljuks anyways they were good guys. Even if they did kill people
>>
>>437840
>neo-mongols
kill yourself
>>
File: Neume_Huelgas.jpg (63 KB, 438x323) Image search: [Google]
Neume_Huelgas.jpg
63 KB, 438x323
>>436237
Lots of culture, especially pertaining to the church, was borrowed from the Byzantines and later expanded upon during the Renaissance, when Europe truly reached its "European" and "Western" form. Much like anything else medieval, their contributions got brutally overshadowed by the Renaissance.
>>
>>434308
They were greatly feared during the 15th-16th centuries. Mostly changed after Malta.
>>
>>441002
The mongols were the first to use biowarfare, they were fucking brutal
>>
Well, the major European Powers did some brutal shit to their foreign peoples, the French abused the slaves if they tried to eat the sugar cane, the French prevented this with face masks to prevent eating of their crop. The Spanish and Portuguese abused their slaves as well, and Britain caused manmade famines in India. So technically, the the Europeans in general, not just the Nazis, killed shitloads of people.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.