[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inevitability
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13
File: 1446096493041.png (20 KB, 176x158) Image search: [Google]
1446096493041.png
20 KB, 176x158
>Longevity probably wont be discovered in our lifetime.
>Our species will probably kill itself before the sun explodes.
>Our galaxy will burn itself out eventual.
>Our universe is plagued by an eventual mortality.
>Alt Universes,The Big Crunch, and anything else even remotely suggesting universal survival are now science fiction crackpot theories made and supported by optimists.
>Its all pointless and will end inevitably with us having little-to-no mark on our own little crevasse in the universe, let alone eternity, and even if we somehow did no one will be able to see it after it all ends.
So how do you cope?
Just ignore it and let the days go by? 'cause that's what I do.
>>
File: AREIZOO V.gif (35 KB, 296x289) Image search: [Google]
AREIZOO V.gif
35 KB, 296x289
>>561614
>>Longevity probably wont be discovered in our lifetime.

1. LONGEVITY IS RELATIVE; "LONGEVITY" LITERALLY MEANS "LONG LIFE"; DO NOT USE WORDS THE MEANING OF WHICH YOU IGNORE.

2. LONGEVITY IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS DISCOVERED, BUT DEFINED.

>>Our species will probably kill itself before the sun explodes.

1. THAT IS OVERLY IMPROBABLE.

2. WHY WOULD THE SUN "EXPLODE"? WHY DO YOU PRESUPPOSE THAT?

>>Our galaxy will burn itself out eventual.

1. OUR BEING IN A GALAXY IS AN UNCONFIRMED THEORY; WE, HUMANS, CURRENTLY IGNORE WHAT THERE IS BEYOND EARTH.

2. SUPPOSING THAT WE INDEED EXIST IN A GALAXY, WHY WOULD THE GALAXY "BURN ITSELF UP"? WHY DO YOU PRESUPPOSE THAT?

>>Our universe is plagued by an eventual mortality.

BY CONTINUOUS VITALITY ALSO; THE PHENOMENAL ZONE FUNCTIONS ON THE BASIS OF MUTUALLY OPPOSED MOTIONS; A SELFRECURSIVE FLUX FLUCTUATING IN MUTUALLY OPPOSED AND COMPLEMENTARY DIRECTIONS, WITH EQUALLY MUTUALLY OPPOSED AND COMPLEMENTARY CHARGES.

>>Alt Universes,The Big Crunch, and anything else even remotely suggesting universal survival are now science fiction crackpot theories made and supported by optimists.
>>Its all pointless and will end inevitably with us having little-to-no mark on our own little crevasse in the universe, let alone eternity, and even if we somehow did no one will be able to see it after it all ends.

THIS IS JUST CONVOLUTED DRIVEL DERIVED FROM CORRUPT NOTIONS, AND CONFUSED SENTIMENTS.

>So how do you cope?

WITH WHAT?

>Just ignore it and let the days go by?

IGNORE WHAT?
>>
>>561649
Why even post
>>
File: 209495538.jpg (40 KB, 727x373) Image search: [Google]
209495538.jpg
40 KB, 727x373
>>561649
>WHY WOULD THE SUN "EXPLODE"? WHY DO YOU PRESUPPOSE THAT?

pic related

Just take the antipsychotics man, first the phantom time hypothesis now this.
>>
>>561668

THAT IS UNCONFIRMED THEORY; THE FACT THAT IT IS LOGICALLY CONSISTENT DOES NOT ENTAIL THAT THAT IS ACTUAL REALITY, OR TRUTHFUL.

ATTEMPT TO USE YOUR OWN RATIONALITY TO THINK, RATHER THAN DOGMATICALLY ACCEPTING EMPIRICAL DERIVATIVE KNOWLEDGE AS ABSOLUTE TRUTH.
>>
>>561649
The term "explode" is used in a variety of contexts, but is generally used to mean "a sudden non-productive release of energy." While intelligent enough to support thought may exist within our solar system but beyond earth, only those within our solar system are relevant
>>
File: 1431773462327.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1431773462327.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>561614

Heat and light and therefore life are an extreme anomaly in the cold dark expanse of the universe. It will continue to expand while it will grows ever dimmer and ever colder until its a dark frozen void.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>561692
I CAN ALSO TYPE IN CAPS, UTILISE YOUR LOGICAL BRAIN-THINK TO DISCERN ALTERNATE BEING-STATES
>>
>>561614
Genuinely cannot relate to any of your fears.

My fear is the immorality and needless suffering of the universe. The brutality that life can impose on beings. That is the scary stuff.

Things ending? Meh.
>>
>>561692
Right its the most convincing theory I know of.

If you got a better one, go on, tell me.
>>
>>561649
This is the autist who thought posting a computer generated image of the macro-scale structure of the universe literally meant you thought someone had taken a photograph of fucking galactic walls and shit irl fucking laffo
>>
>>562514
While life may be the only vector to feel suffering and pain, its also thr only place to feel love and joy. When you die however there is nothing. All of it turns off forever and can never come back.
I suppose it is a subjective fear, but I think death is worse then a bad life.
I will say a roko's basilisk might be worse than death, but we don't know that.
>>
we've been warned for millennia about the devil. the devil is among us, our species has embraced evil. we have embraced nihilism and capitalism, consumerism, vapid empty fucking. we only care about image status wealth sex drugs etc etc etc. all of these things lead to the effective rape of the planet, which will in turn annihilate our species, or be why we end up suiciding.

i think a species has an opportunity, through technology, to outlast their planet, perhaps create an AI that can outlast the universe, or some other redic thing like creating our own holographic universe or something or other that elicits consciousness and achieves man's apotheosis; but there are challenges along the way such as not emptying the planets resources or through technological advancement fucking the environment and thus the species and thus the technological advancement necessary for apotheosis.

the very same thing that drives advacement also drives the end of that advancement, and we as a species need to figure how to stop the latter while keeping the former.

the problem is 7 billion and growing.

the greeks got around the mortality problem with historical immortality. achillies for ex. the problem is, if we fuck the species, our history is gone and thus we are still mortal. contextual immortality is easily overcome, obj immortality is the effective goal of all consciousness and its has clearly already been achieved by whatever animated the great animator. the question is can we do it again, does it need to be done again, why do we want to do it again, etc etc etc.
>>
File: 1403483884146.jpg (373 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1403483884146.jpg
373 KB, 800x800
There's nothing you can do about it, so it's best to try not to worry. I just want to have a fun and fulfilling life.
>>
>>562440
And so you cope by watching people get their dick blown off.
>>
>>561614
Are people actually bothered by this stuff or is it just a meme?
>>
>>564079

>actually taking roko's basilisk seriously

>>>/less wrong/
>>
File: Pop...Pop....png (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pop...Pop....png
12 KB, 500x500
>>567019
Yeah people are bothered by it
w-why?
>>
File: memes.jpg (277 KB, 2048x1382) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
277 KB, 2048x1382
>>567056
If you are bothered about things being pointless, then you think that there is a point to there being a point, so you don't actually believe that things are pointless because you think that there is at least one point: the point of things not being pointless. The "life is meaningless" meme is people elevating their sadness from some mundane human emotion to a pretense of high-minded aesthetic angst.
>>
>>567080
But the thing is that I know that the universe is pointless, but I also think life IS NOT pointless.
I just say its ALL pointless because in the eyes of existence it pretty much is.
I KNOW I'M A GLORIFIED VIRUS, that is WHY I don't want myself or my lineage to be snuffed out.
I'm not trying to be angst-y, I just realize the reality of the situation and my personal hope are telling me thats a bad thing.
>>
>>567106
Why do you care what is true "in the eyes of existence"? Is existence a thing that has opinions you should care about? If something was true "in the eyes of existence", why should you care? Is existence going to show up at your next job interview and give you a bad reference?
>>
File: gondolaapocalypse.jpg (82 KB, 624x960) Image search: [Google]
gondolaapocalypse.jpg
82 KB, 624x960
>>561614
if nothing matters it does not matter if you fail
>>
>>567117
The fact that it doesn't care if the first place is what makes it bad tho.
If it did "care" then we wouldn't be cascading toward an eventual death.
Existence doesn't care because it can't care and because of that its all pointless and will inevitably end with nothing to show for it or anyone to remember it.
And thats bad, because I don't like it. plain and simple.
>>
>>567132
>Existence doesn't care therefore it's all pointless
Explain this inference.
>>
File: thefeelsbeneaththefacade.jpg (95 KB, 903x714) Image search: [Google]
thefeelsbeneaththefacade.jpg
95 KB, 903x714
>>567019
>>567056
Don't you like the idea of civilization continuing on and qts enjoying happy lives in futuristic utopias 1000s of years later?

Even if you are a sith lord who doesn't care about other sapient beings then you can at least take the time to experience the feels that come with impending death and mourn the fact we have not achieved biological immortality and other such things yet.
>>
>>561614
Trying to enjoy the ride.
>>
>>567141
I tried.
Existence isn't a person, its a concept.
If it doesn't hold itself up, existence itself is pointless.
If reality will inevitably just end with nothing else ever and no one to tell the tale, reality is pointless.
I'm not trying to plead for its forgiveness. The fact that there is no one to plead to is what terrifies me.
We will all just end an ungraceful end to never be remembered.
I guess this is why we have religion; to have someone to plead to.
>>
>>567145
I find the idea nice, but even that will end inevitably.
Reality dictates it.
and so its pointless and too will be forgotten.
>>
>>567145
If something is inevitable i won't get sad about it. There is an infinite number of situations which are inevitably impossible, there is no cause to mourn for all of them. I may just as well be happy for the infinite number of undesirable situations that are inevitably impossible.
>>
File: 1443555450027.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1443555450027.gif
371 KB, 500x375
Isn't the idea of learning how to conquer entropy considered the single greatest achievement that could ever be accomplished, period?
>>
File: 1427943995111.jpg (44 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1427943995111.jpg
44 KB, 250x250
>>567185
Yes.
Lets hope we get there someday.
>>
>>567161
"plead to", "forgiveness"

If I were a dirty continental, which I am not, I'd say it sounds like you got over the myth of the omniscient parent recently and are grasping for a final authority which is outside of yourself by which you can judge your worth, because you haven't yet gotten the confidence to judge your own worth, so every time you self reflect you are struck with doubt about your own worth and goodness.
>>
File: 1450807712948.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
1450807712948.gif
4 MB, 270x263
>>561614
>Our galaxy will burn itself out eventual.

I've recently researched about it so basically if
super symmetry is proven to be like it's speculated then
the universe has around 20 billion years until it "burns" itself out of existence at the speed of light.

If that's not the case then it could be 1 billion years when space will decay in a lower state of energy, not allowing our types of particles to exist anymore.

So people just live your fucking lives to the fullest potential, be nice to each other because it's all going to die and vanish.

If there is a spiritual realm, continuation after death and a Divinity, see there's another reason to behave nicely and be happy in your life, and give to others more than expect, but if there is nothing except this... you could also put a bullet inside your head it doesn't matter.
>>
>>567212
No, not even.
My instincts lead me to believe that life has some meaning, because I am myself alive, and am driven to make more lives.
Seeing that it probably wont happen or last bums me out.
This cognitive dissonance has me saying that there is hope when my mind is telling me its a mirage.
You seem happy with knowing it's pointless, I'm not.
I want to survive, or at least make my blood survive, its in my nature.
Its like making a sapient robot that is built to write books and telling it its ink will run out and never be replaced.
>>
>>567260
I don't think that abstract concepts like "meaning" and the perpetual propagation of one's descendents are human instinct. But if it bums you out that these things are impossible ok. That's my point though, you're just sad that a thing you want won't happen. Instead you might focus on the other things you want, like feeling superior to strangers on the internet.
>>
>>567323
>feeling superior to strangers on the internet.
that's what i do, i mean.
>>
>>561614
>Just ignore it and let the days go by? 'cause that's what I do.

This. In life, you are along for the ride. Why do people insist so much on making their mark on the universe and wanting to be remembered so fucking badly? It's all pointless in the long run.
>>
>>567234
Thats the thing isn't it?
the Holocene is just under 12 thousand year old, but even with that we feel that thats barely any time at all.
when you quantify something like time which we need to survive it will always feel like we don't have enough.
>>
File: 1450273261347.png (209 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1450273261347.png
209 KB, 510x346
>>562440
>dark souls is an analogy for the fate of the universe
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.