[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Mo Tzu underrated? >pretty much rejected everything Confucianism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: mo tsu.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
mo tsu.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Was Mo Tzu underrated?

>pretty much rejected everything Confucianism stood for, which included adhering to elaborate rituals/traditions and tribalism
>created the first system of consequentialism way back in 500 BC which emphasized that actions were to be made in the effort to better the state (i.e. providing resources and necessities among the people.)
>had a practical and pragmatic approach to religion; heaven was a godlike figure that punished wrongdoers and rewarded good folk and if people believed in this than order could be brought upon the land
>believed in universal love: the idea that everyone should love everyone unconditionally as if they were related and show compassion for each other. If this doctrine were followed, he believed there would be no wars or fighting amongst people.
>strongly was against wars, but was not a pacifist, as he wrote chapters dedicated to defensive strategies. Probably his most famous act was that he once convinced a larger state not to attack a smaller state simply by talking them out of it.
>>
Judging by the popularity of this thread, yes.
>>
File: Yin_and_Yang.png (25 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Yin_and_Yang.png
25 KB, 250x250
Speaking of Chinese religions/philosophies
Was Taoism ever a state religion or enforced offically or was it kind of just there influencing stuff passively?
>>
>pretty much rejected everything Confucianism stood for, which included adhering to elaborate rituals/traditions and tribalism

Into the trash.

>'Consequentialism' as masquerade for gibsmedat.

Trash

>Extensionless deism.

Trash

>believed in universal love

Trash

>strongly was against wars, but was not a pacifist

Yeah you and every other solipsistic goober says that too ('hurr im slow to make friends, but if I do I'll fight to the death for them!' 'Hurr I'm not thing, but I am thing in every situation where you would be thing!')

Entirely unsurprised by how the same garbage beliefs seem to always come in the same packages everywhere in the world.
>>
>>560510
No, he's a stupid commie retard that believed people could cooperate in spite of scarcity and desire. Probably one of the only known warring states philosophers whose ideas are completely inapplicable and unrealistic. Worse than political daoism.
>>
File: 1452879870075.jpg (4 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1452879870075.jpg
4 KB, 125x119
>>560543
>unconditional love
>trash

Nice arguments, next time just stay at reddit you tryhard
>>
>>560536
It was looked upon favorably by certain emperors in the song and tang but never state dogma. The thing about confucianism that made it so practical as state orthodoxy was that it wasn't a religion, just a guide as to how to rule and live. The dao de jing was interpreted in many othr ways. Confucianism was always the basis for entry into the bureaucracy for that reason.
>>
File: bagua-feng-shui-colors.gif (26 KB, 471x456) Image search: [Google]
bagua-feng-shui-colors.gif
26 KB, 471x456
>>560536
>Was Taoism ever a state religion or enforced offically or was it kind of just there influencing stuff passively?
Nope.

Among the literati, it was Metaphysical Philosophy. Since Confucianism isnt' big on Metaphysics as it doesnt give a shit towards it.

Among the Chinese folk, it was LE ESOTERIC MAGICKS and some few Gods and stuff.

That said, one of the worst rebellions in Chinese history was Taoist in origin: the Yellow Turban Rebellion.
>>
>>560576
The Japanese actually outlawed Taoism, though that did stop them from adopting large amounts of Taoist esoterica and practicing it under other names
>>
>>560564

'Unconditional love' is not love, its autism. You're just confusing a numbness to any strong feeling either way, with a *lack* of valuation, with the notion that its possible to value everyone equally; only the sociopath is truly egalitarian.
>>
>>560510
Vastly unappreciated, anticipated peace through the practical means of deterrence by thousands of years.
>>
>>560607
unconditional love is the antithesis of autism. A truly egalitarian outlook is also the antithesis of sociopathy.

Respecting humans just for being human, is a desirable social custom in a harmonious society.
>>
>>560510
OP, you seem pretty knowledgeable. I've been wanting to put together a reading list of Chinese/Eastern philosophy, with an emphasis on how the great works 'converse' with each other.

Figuring out how the works fit together is pretty important in Western Philosophy, and I find it's one of the reasons it's very hard to read Chinese philosophy for people.

Also, while I share Mo Tzu's doctrine of universal love, I do not understand how he can square that with consequentialism.
>>
>>560595
Source on this? I know some more mystical elements of Shinto have clear Taoist influence.
>>
>>560510
Univeral love is a laughable cucked concept like universal brotherhood in christianity and islam
>>
>>560510
he was a grade A ching chong
>>
>>560973

Lack of differentiation between different stimuli is literally the textbook indicator of psychopathy (http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2008/09/either_conservatives_are_cowar.html). You're just plain wrong, and also probably a terrible human being in all likelihood.

Show me a man who claims to have the whole world in his heart, and I'll show you a devil.
>>
>>560510
Did he love burger ?
>>
>>560510
Zhuang Zi was more based
>tfw we all only exist in the dream of a butterfly
>>
>>561842
Loving everyone is not the same as not reacting to different stimuli. A parent can love their multiple children (to use an example), and acknowledge that they're different entirely different entities with different needs.

That said, I think universal love is pointless, because you don't love the individual people in any substantial fashion; you love some sort of idea of them as "people," you love the classification they belong to.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.