[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does anyone else just love this nigga? he was right about pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6
File: arthur_schopenhauer_33.jpg (170 KB, 1344x1344) Image search: [Google]
arthur_schopenhauer_33.jpg
170 KB, 1344x1344
does anyone else just love this nigga? he was right about pretty much everything. he really understood the nature of suffering and want. you can see it right in his eyes. kinda just wanna give schopy a big old hug
>>
>>431730
>le angry manlet
he was just bitter because Hegel fucked a young girl he was trying to get at before him.
>>
>>431940
He literally fucked anything he wanted.
>>431730
He was right about life, women, and suffering.
So yeah, pretty much everything.
>>
>>431970
No he didn't. The hedgehog dilemma was something he came up with on the spot trying to get into a blonde's undergarments, and she rejected his manlet ass.
>>
>>431979
Literally fucked bitches.
All day, every day.
>>
>>432005
Prostitutes don't count.
>>
>>432009
Proofs?
>>
>>432009
They did for the last 10,000 years
>>
>>432016
Can't remember much the name of the book, I think it's "philosophers behaving naughty" or something like that, but ever since he was young he and a friend would try to score with some chicks at some school and if they failed they would get a prostitue. This habit was carried on till his late years where he would have his servants lie in bed with him. It was extremely unusual for a woman to sleep with him without payment from his part, except during the time when he had a semi-open relationship with that opera singer, there he would fuck whores or acquaintances.
>>
>While in Berlin, Schopenhauer was named as a defendant in a lawsuit initiated by a woman named Caroline Marquet.[21] She asked for damages, alleging that Schopenhauer had pushed her. According to Schopenhauer's court testimony, she deliberately annoyed him by raising her voice while standing right outside his door.[22] Marquet alleged that the philosopher had assaulted and battered her after she refused to leave his doorway. Her companion testified that she saw Marquet prostrate outside his apartment. Because Marquet won the lawsuit, Schopenhauer made payments to her for the next twenty years.[23] When she died, he wrote on a copy of her death certificate, Obit anus, abit onus ("The old woman dies, the burden is lifted").

top kek. you can almost hear the reeeee issuing out of the mists of time

the more I imagine Schopenhauer as this flustered but incredibly wise and articulate beta the more I like him
>>
>>432009
Sex is sex.
>>
>>432029
This is not adequate proofs.
Regardless, still fucked bitches every day.
>>
>>432067
The book is "philosophers behaving badly".
I think its section on Ludwig Wittgenstein is the most interesting; the guy beat up every person he came up close to, including toddlers.
>>
His essays are excellent too.
>>
>>432074
Ah nah, nevermind I'm exaggerating, it wasn't toddlers, but children fit for elementary schooling.
>>
Schopenhauer was a cancerous meme, just like Nietzsche
>>
>His daily life, living alone with a succession of pet French poodles (named Atma and Butz), was defined by a deliberate routine: Schopenhauer would awake, wash, read and study during the morning hours, play his flute, lunch at the Englisher Hof — an inn at the city center near the Hauptwache — rest afterwards, read, take an afternoon walk, check the world events as reported in The London Times, sometimes attend concerts in the evenings, and frequently read inspirational texts such as the Upanishads before going to sleep.

livin' the NEET life
>>
>>432083
>if his worldview is pessimistic he must be a meme!!!

>>>reddit
>>
>>432087
>if he hates women then his worldview must be true!

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>432052
>the more I imagine Schopenhauer as this flustered but incredibly wise and articulate beta the more I like him

Most philosophers are wise and articulate betas. Give me an example of a philosopher who has had a stable marriage, or that even likes females in general if you can.
>>
>>432088
>if he "hates" women his world view must be false!

>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>432088
>implying I'm basing my respect for Schopenhauer on his views on women and not his dead-accurate metaphysics which agrees with the conclusions of the Buddha and hundreds if not thousands of Indian yogis and saints

Also his aesthetic philosophy is god-tier and puts music on top of the art pyramid where it rightfully beongs
>>
>>432095

>if he disagrees with the women bashing, he must be from tumblr!!

>>>/pol/
>>
>>432099
>After the elderly Schopenhauer sat for a sculpture portrait by Elisabet Ney, he told Richard Wagner's friend Malwida von Meysenbug, "I have not yet spoken my last word about women. I believe that if a woman succeeds in withdrawing from the mass, or rather raising herself above the mass, she grows ceaselessly and more than a man."[63]

Can you stop posting now
>>
>>432099
>if I bring up a topic and tell people to go to some place that contain boogiemen I shouldn't expect the same!

>>>/out/
>>
>>432096

1. Schopenhauer didn't make up his metaphysics through the intellect; he ripped off from the buddhists.

2. Schopenhauer's conception of the Will is flawed if one takes into consideration that Schopenhauer considered genius (a lot of intellect, according to him, in his parerga he mentions genius to be of a quantitative, not qualitative nature) to be antithetical to the Will, but never bothers explaining how this difference arose because he knows that his bullshit metaphysics crumbles at this point.
>>
File: Hayek-e1410112990391.jpg (563 KB, 2685x2000) Image search: [Google]
Hayek-e1410112990391.jpg
563 KB, 2685x2000
>>432120
>I spew memes that are autistic and irrelevant
>>>/4chan/
>>
>>432127
*raises paw*
I'm already on 4chan, are you sure you meant to redirect me here?
>>
>"Consider the Koran... this wretched book was sufficient to start a world-religion, to satisfy the metaphysical need of countless millions for twelve hundred years, to become the basis of their morality and of a remarkable contempt for death, and also to inspire them to bloody wars and the most extensive conquests. In this book we find the saddest and poorest form of theism. Much may be lost in translation, but I have not been able to discover in it one single idea of value. "

Schopenhauer is based.
>>
>>432131
>paw
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>432139
>meme arrows
>>>[s4s]
>>
>>432117

>The argument that Buddhism affected Schopenhauer’s philosophy more than any other Dharmic faith loses more credence when viewed in light of the fact that Schopenhauer did not begin a serious study of Buddhism until after the publication of The World as Will and Representation in 1818.

2. because genius more readily enables the state of will-less knowing. more sensitive to the transcendent Idea* -> better able to perceive it -> better able to transcend the malignant, individuated will through aesthetic contemplation

*I'd go as far to say as the will itself isn't the problem, but the principle of individuation, which is the true source of suffering. in manifold bodies and intellects, the will-to-exist is a horrible thing, but when you're able to rise above your status as a discrete body through aesthetic contemplation, the will - which necessarily encapsulates the Idea if the will is to be as ontologically foundational as Schopenhauer proposes - is suddenly beautiful, peaceful, and joyous. remember, it's by seeing THROUGH the individuation of, say, a tree that the genius can apprehend the Idea of the tree - the will uncorrupted by the dilemma of bodies
>>
>>432139
actually chuckled at this lol
>>
File: hegel is a bagel.jpg (69 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
hegel is a bagel.jpg
69 KB, 1000x1000
>>432150
1. Schopenhauer accessed his Akashic Records and remembered parts of his past life he had in Asia, thus ripping off from the buddhists.

Your 2 is pure deflection. I said, Schopenhauer considers genius to be opposite and even enemies to the Will, but he never says how genius arose from the Will to be an enemy to the Will, since he knows he doesnt have a leg to stand on from this arguing.
>>
>>432144
>meme arrows
>meme
>not may may
>>>/reddirt/
>>
>>432159
Genius, the Idea, everything that is antithetical to the will we must assume is a part of the will also since Schopenhauer never really makes a clear distinction (he goes from doom and gloom to suddenly talking about Platonic forms and shit, so we have to assume they are related in degree).

That granted, we can assume then that the will - the will to exist, the movement of life towards something as opposed to the dumb stasis of matter - is only malignant when it is expressed in individual bodies in a reality where those bodies must secure resources for their survival.

We can think of genius then as a glimpse of the pure, uncorrupted nature of the will. In Buddhism, reality as a whole is not evil, only when it must contend with itself in individuation. Nirvana and everyday reality are the same thing, it's only the degree to which the perceiver can overcome his attachments to the pleasures (and pains) individuated existence that determines its degree, or lack thereof, of malignance.

Remember that Schopenhauer says the more one identifies with his will and ONLY his will, the shittier he is as a person and the shittier he treats everyone else.
>>
>>432180
That would be dope and all, but aside from the small instances Schopenhauer permits people to be free from suffering (for instance, when people are entertained in something of objective character which corresponds greatly to the psychological concept of 'flow'; and through what he calls aesthetic contemplation) he claims that only death can ultimately free people from the clutches of the Will.

I'm just waiting for his works Senilia to be translated and published just to give closure to this racist, misogynist manlet and never bother myself with him again.
>>
>>432205
Well, death in the eastern sense is liberation. In the tibetan book of the dead, death is the return to our original nature, ie the unindividuated, uncorrupted will. I could go into more detail but I don't want to bog this post down. I'm just gonna say that for Schopenhauer and Hinduism/Buddhism, death is liberation, and not necessarily "welp, gg life"

>racist

you know he supported the abolitionist movement right?
>>
>>432236

He was a racist.

Also I found this:

>Schopenhauer was first introduced to the 1802 Latin Upanishad translation through Friedrich Majer. They met during the winter of 1813–1814 in Weimar at the home of Schopenhauer’s mother according to the biographer Sanfranski. Majer was a follower of Herder, and an early Indologist. Schopenhauer did not begin a serious study of the Indic texts, however, until the summer of 1814. Sansfranski maintains that between 1815 and 1817, Schopenhauer had another important cross-pollination with Indian Thought in Dresden. This was through his neighbor of two years, Karl Christian Friedrich Krause. Krause was then a minor and rather unorthodox philosopher who attempted to mix his own ideas with that of ancient Indian wisdom. Krause had also mastered Sanskrit, unlike Schopenhauer, and the two developed a professional relationship. It was from Krause that Schopenhauer learned meditation and received the closest thing to expert advice concerning Indian thought.[73]

>Most noticeable, in the case of Schopenhauer’s work, was the significance of the Chandogya Upanishad, whose Mahavakya, Tat Tvam Asi is mentioned throughout The World as Will and Representation.[74]

Didn't rip off from the buddhists/hindus my ass.
>>
>>432205
>he claims that only death can ultimately free people from the clutches of the Will.

How is this wrong?
>>
>>432250
Nothing, if you're an edgelord nihilist.
>>
>>432256

Great post, good job
>>
>>432247
you can see it less as a "rip-off" and more that it's pretty good evidence that these are universal truths - which they are.

even if schopenhauer sat down and no-shit decided to rip off the upanishads you still can't rag on him for publishing one of the first (very succinct and muscular) western formulations of eastern thought
>>
>>432247
>He was racist

is calling it like it is racist now?

>The highest civilization and culture, apart from the ancient Hindus and Egyptians, are found exclusively among the white races; and even with many dark peoples, the ruling caste or race is fairer in colour than the rest and has, therefore, evidently immigrated, for example, the Brahmans, the Incas, and the rulers of the South Sea Islands. All this is due to the fact that necessity is the mother of invention because those tribes that emigrated early to the north, and there gradually became white, had to develop all their intellectual powers and invent and perfect all the arts in their struggle with need, want and misery, which in their many forms were brought about by the climate. This they had to do in order to make up for the parsimony of nature and out of it all came their high civilization.

based schope
>>
>>432271
Tiny dicked manlet.

>>432267
Sure, as an introduction to eastern thought I can appreciate his work (if he didn't pollute it with his bitter manlet-tier ideas), but to say that he wasn't heavily influenced by eastern thought before writing his WaWaR is downright false.
>>
>>432284
you sound really fucking mad some dead guy doesn't subscribe to your faggy tumblr ideology. next time you wanna take potshots learn to argue the points presented than talking about the author's dick you little faggot baby
>>
>>432294
You speak like a cuck and your shits all retarded. I conceive that if Schopenhauer had his eugenics applied you (and I) wouldn't have been born.

Also did I touch a nerve? racists always seem to be dicklets for some reason.
>>
>>432306
keep flailing at passages written 150 years before you signed up on tumblr and "saw the light" faggot
>>
>>432267
>Schopenhauer said he was influenced by the Upanishads, Immanuel Kant and Plato. References to Eastern philosophy and religion appear frequently in Schopenhauer's writing. As noted above, he appreciated the teachings of the Buddha and even called himself a "Buddhist".[100] He said[101] that his philosophy could not have been conceived before these teachings were available.

>Concerning the Upanishads and Vedas, he writes in The World as Will and Representation:

>"If the reader has also received the benefit of the Vedas, the access to which by means of the Upanishads is in my eyes the greatest privilege which this still young century (1818) may claim before all previous centuries, if then the reader, I say, has received his initiation in primeval Indian wisdom, and received it with an open heart, he will be prepared in the very best way for hearing what I have to tell him. It will not sound to him strange, as to many others, much less disagreeable; for I might, if it did not sound conceited, contend that every one of the detached statements which constitute the Upanishads, may be deduced as a necessary result from the fundamental thoughts which I have to enunciate, though those deductions themselves are by no means to be found there.[102]
>>
>>432247
>He was a racist.

So was Hume, I guess this means the Problem of Induction doesn't exist.
>>
>>432365
No, it means that you shouldn't take every thing dead old white men say as if it were gospel.
>>
>>432370
Nigger go home.
Old dead white men are the reason you can shitpost about them on the internet like a dindu.
>>
>>432377
Pretty sure it's thanks to the works of a woman born to Lord Byron and a series of mathematicians and logicians until it culminated with a faggot creep during WWII.
>>
>>432370
So the Problem of Induction doesn't exist because Hume was white, got it
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>432383
Please. Keep posting.
>>
>>432386
Nigger, people can have practical/logical insights into epistemological and scientific works, but when it comes down to moralizing/biasing all reality is thrown out of the window and the author's opinion takes place.

It's why Nietzsche and Schopenhauer ranted against women and the cuck-train that was Bertrand Russel's morality system.
>>
>>432406
was written*

morality and psychology should be limited to sociologists and modern day psychologists.
>>
>>432406
>people can't have opinions
>implying this isn't all of philosophy
>people can't prefer western civilziation over pooinloo or mass dindus
Nigger go home.
>>432414
You're a joke
>>
>>432429
They have opinions not based on reality but a limited world view granted by being a dicklet and in Nietzsche's case a KHV.
>>
>>432438
You have a limited world view by being a nigger
>>
File: 1450362037794.jpg (31 KB, 343x362) Image search: [Google]
1450362037794.jpg
31 KB, 343x362
>>432532
At least I'm not a dicklet.
>>
>>432537
Dumb frog poster.
>Muh dick
>>
>>431730
>He was right about everything
>You can see it in his eyes
>>
Schopenhauer and Hume are the most based philosophers in the last 500 years IMO.
>>
>>432406
I agreed with you until you said >>432414 wtf dude. Why should shrinks have a monopoly on ethics?
>>
>>432009
they totally do
>>
>>431970
> He literally fucked anything he wanted.
He literally kept lectures in an empty room because Hegel's lectures the next door were more popular.

Imagine the feeling he had during those lectures, him trying act like he couldn't hear the applaud Hegel got at the end.
>>
>>432117

>loud farting noises
>>
>>433871
Because rather than pulling things out of their ass, they can closely study human beings on a large scale and try to determine what is more desirable (to what philosophers determine desirable; aristotles already established in in the nicomachean ethics anyways) in the best way possible. Sure, a lot of corruption can come into play here, but it has a greater semblance to reality than what philosophers do when writing on morality. Especially that piece of shit Russel, what a fucking cuck.

>>433902
This. He was vanity-cucked.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.