[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historically was the horn of africa more involved with Arabia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: king-ezana-stele-aksum.jpg (81 KB, 550x733) Image search: [Google]
king-ezana-stele-aksum.jpg
81 KB, 550x733
Historically was the horn of africa more involved with Arabia or the rest of Africa?
>>
File: 1450284585972.png (1 MB, 1280x903) Image search: [Google]
1450284585972.png
1 MB, 1280x903
The Horn was always an important middleman between India and the Mediterranean as well as traders all along the African coast.
>>
>>558038
[desire to know more intensifies]
>>
File: 1449738473772.jpg (103 KB, 947x768) Image search: [Google]
1449738473772.jpg
103 KB, 947x768
>>558043
Unfortunately pretty much nothing is known about pre-Islamic (aka Swahili) East Africa other than some Greek records saying "oh yeah sometimes we sail down there to trade stuff, here's a list of good cities to stop at".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azania

There's also "Cyeneum" mentioned which would be around South Sudan today, but I haven't been able to find much of anything at all about it, at least nothing that exists online.

The only real information on these places goes back to when Islam spread out there, but I don't know if it's genuinely because of lack of records, or just that very little of it exists online in English.
>>
>>558043
>>558058
Oh also more info on my first pic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periplus_of_the_Erythraean_Sea
>>
>>558061
You can read the whole thing in fifteen minutes, I spent a month special ordering the book at my library and it was Fucking flimsy, you can read it online

Also Azanians were assimilated by Bantu farmers, they got their asses handed to them though Azanians themselves are a part of the larger stone bowl culture that assimilated into San communities though they themselves seem to be related partially to the click speakers in Tanzania.
>>
>>558099
>You can read the whole thing in fifteen minutes, I spent a month special ordering the book at my library and it was Fucking flimsy, you can read it online
That's part of what I mean by there not being a lot of information on them, even from surviving primary sources.

>Also Azanians were assimilated by Bantu farmers, they got their asses handed to them though Azanians themselves are a part of the larger stone bowl culture that assimilated into San communities though they themselves seem to be related partially to the click speakers in Tanzania.
Where do you get this from?
>>
>>558108
Genetic reports and archeology
>>558007
I forgot to even answer your question.

So it's both regions but it's important to recognize southern Arabia is a literal extension on Africa in geology, ecosystem and in fact culture & genetics.

The migration of cushitics and nilo-saharans brought tamed camels and donkeys to the region some time before and they form the substratum of the Modern South Arabian languages still spoken by Mehri and Socotrans among others of the region.

I'm Ethiopian Jewish, our history is influenced by a multitude of peoples from both sides of the Red Sea.
>>
>>558150
Is there anywhere I could read more on the genetic reports?
>>
>>558007
>part of Africa that's closest to Arabia
>was this part of Africa involved with Arabia
what the fuck do you think the answer to your question is gonna be?
>>
>>558007
>Arabia or the rest of Africa?
Arabia, from pre-Egyptian times the donkey carried trade coming from Africa into Arabia and vice a versa.
>>
>>559004
perhaps he asked because he wishes to know more, and wants to see if anyone can elaborate on a shamefully lacking part of the collective world history?
>>
File: Yeha Tower (700 BC).jpg (265 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
Yeha Tower (700 BC).jpg
265 KB, 1024x681
Arabia.

Ethiopian civilization was basically imported from South Arabia in the 1st millennium BC (though there's no evidence that this involved colonization or invasions), and then in the early first millennium AD they united under the Aksumites and became a major power in Arabia itself. They were also heavily influenced by the Mediterranean world, and in many ways they were a part of the Greco-Roman world (the name Ethiopia itself was adopted by the Aksumites from the Greeks) and Aksumite rulers were familiar with Greek literature. Then the conversion to Christianity broke many of Ethiopia's cultural ties to Arabia and made it a more Byzantine-oriented civilization. In contrast, Ethiopia never had any significant relations with the interior of Africa. The lands surrounding Ethiopia are mostly deserts and wastelands, so there was no reason for expansion, and trade with the interior was pretty much non-existent.

Somalia too is much more influenced by Arabia than by the rest of Africa, though they did have contact with Bantus through coastal trade. Their lifestyles are fairly similar to those of Arab nomads and they've long been integrated into wider Islamic civilization, with their closest cultural contacts being with south Arabia.

Oromos were not heavily influenced by Arabian or any Eurasian civilization (until they entered Ethiopia and adopted both Islam and Christianity), but they weren't related to non-Cushitic Africans either, their closest relatives being Somalis.

Ethnically, Ethiopians are Semitic and came from Arabia (though genetically they're indigenous), and Somalis and Oromos are Cushitic. Cushitic, like Semitic, is part of Afro-Asiatic which may have originated around Sudan or the Levant depending on who you ask (I believe the latter personally).

The Horn of Africa should really be seen as an extension of Eurasia in the same way that North Africa is. Just because they're 'black' doesn't mean they have any cultural relation to other black Africans.
>>
>>558007
>more involved with Arabia or the rest of Africa?
East african coastal cities get their gold from inland area, including the one who built those stone ruins in Zimbabwe. So it goes both ways.
>>
>>558996
Sure, note the dark green with Nama and non-san Khoe affiliated groups

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article/figure?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004393.g002

Most google searches regarding the expansion of Sheep into Southern Africa also discuss this (there is a really great paper on apiculture in Bushmen communities and the migrating stone bowl culture sheep herders) as well as the linguistic relationship between Khoe language and Sandawe with Khoe's base being another click based linguistic family.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z8WcREsSfNMC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=khoe+sandawe&source=bl&ots=NLwWWpJSz8&sig=ivJBZ6vLZq8t2uvX_9ZVp8-RGmk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAxvT_-azKAhWHMGMKHWQUC-IQ6AEIMzAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

From there we have these Sandawe-Khoe-Bushmen peoples intermixing with Herero, Himba and Damara.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24901532

We (Ethiopians and Khoe) also share a very ancient haplogroup from Northern Central Africa A3b2.

>>559278
We are not "ethnically" Semitic, we are linguistically Ethiopian Semitic via South Arabian semitics who most likely arrived before the formation of Judea.

Their closest neighbors were Cushitics either ethnically or linguistically and Semitic speaking assimilated cushitics.

>>559278
Somalians were maritime and had sustained contact with the whole Western Indian Ocean littoral.

Ethiopian's most consistent contact was with fellow Africans in Kush and Somalia
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.