[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Habr Process
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: haber process.gif (60 KB, 608x599) Image search: [Google]
haber process.gif
60 KB, 608x599
This is the Habr Process. It's an industrial process which cheaply makes Amonia. It was developed by Fritz Habr, a german jewish scientist specifically for the German munitions industry. Before this the nitrates used in gunpowder was either made out of manure and urine (which was expensive) or was harvested from bird and bat guano deposits (most notably deposits in South America). The german imperial government was concerned about this as if war happened the British and French could cut off the German Empire from saltpeter imports and soon they'd have to surrender to the British and french as they could supply bullets to their guns while the germans could not. The Habr process provided germany with all the amonia and by extension ammunition it needed. After the war, it's ability to produce amonia proved invaluable in fertilizer production and it currently keeps about a third of the world's population fed.
>>
neat.jpeg
>>
Haber also developed chemical weapons. His scientist wife said she couldn't stand them helping kill so many people and asked him to stop. He told her to shut up and get back in the kitchen. She shot herself that night. Within the next day or so Haber was off to help develop more chemical weapons and shit. When the war ended and Germany was defeated he promised to repay all of Germany's war debt himself by extracting gold from ocean water. When Hitler came to power he was forced to leave Germany just because he had Jews in his family despite not being a Jew himself.

Dude gave his soul up for Germany and got kicked in the teeth for his trouble.
>>
File: FN-2199.jpg (71 KB, 786x393) Image search: [Google]
FN-2199.jpg
71 KB, 786x393
>>557551
Serious loyalty
>>
>>557551
>Several members of Haber's extended family died in Nazi concentration camps, including his half-sister Frieda's daughter, Hilde Glücksmann, her husband, and their two children.:235 Ironically, they may have been poisoned with Zyklon B, which Haber's lab had developed.

Man that is Ferrum...I meany ironic.
>>
>>557551
Heartless bastard.
>>
>the habr process
>industrial process
The complete system, when used in an industrial scale, is called the Haber-Bosch process, because it was Bosch whom provided the resources and solutions for the process to be effectively used for industry.
The engineer was just as meaningful as the chemist
>>
File: Daryl.gif (108 KB, 245x170) Image search: [Google]
Daryl.gif
108 KB, 245x170
>>
>>557551
He didn't just help develop chemical weapons, he was head of the Chemistry Section of the Ministry of War and he insisted on visiting the front himself to personally oversee the first use of his weapons in the Second Battle of Ypres.

>>557588
>During peace time a scientist belongs to the World, but during war time he belongs to his country.
>>
>>560170
>During peace time a scientist belongs to the World, but during war time he belongs to his country.
What if the war is bullshit?
>>
>>557502
Pretty neat.

Today OP contributed something
>>
>>560177
That wasn't a conclusion people tended to come to before WW1.

The wave of pacifism and anti-militarism that hit after WW1 makes the post-Vietnam era look positively jingoistic.
>>
File: Robert_E_Lee_1838.jpg (934 KB, 1336x1600) Image search: [Google]
Robert_E_Lee_1838.jpg
934 KB, 1336x1600
>>560210
>That wasn't a conclusion people tended to come to before WW1.
indeed. General Lee thought the secession was bullshit, but "my State right or wrong"
>>
>>560447
>The wave of pacifism and anti-militarism that hit after WW1 makes the post-Vietnam era look positively jingoistic.
I was not aware. I knew war was glorified like crazy before WW1 and the modern view that war is hell was developed during the war, but I didn't know about any sort of pacifism movements that surpassed Vietnam protests. Do you have any examples or anything else to say about the matter?
>>
>>560520
The day Archduke Franz ferdinand was shot the main article in the French newspapers was that of a local Parisian court case in which a women was acquitted of murder because female temper was considered more fiery and rash.

A year or two before a book was released by a prominent English writer suggesting that war in Europe was not gonna happen anymore because the economies were too integrated.

Then WWI and WII happened.
>>
File: 1447033210264.png (153 KB, 333x254) Image search: [Google]
1447033210264.png
153 KB, 333x254
>>557502
Someone listens to radiolab, I see
>>
>>557551
>When the war ended and Germany was defeated he promised to repay all of Germany's war debt himself by extracting gold from ocean water

Assuming he'd succeeded, economically speaking, would this have worked? Or would it have simply made gold worthless? It's not like Germany had a monopoly on seawater.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.