[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muh Heritage: The Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13
File: 37478.jpg (134 KB, 977x629) Image search: [Google]
37478.jpg
134 KB, 977x629
ITT we discuss the origin of one or more of our ancestral groups and/or the cultural heritage of our people's history whether that be one group or dozens.
>>
File: Proposed Slavic Homelands.jpg (2 MB, 2921x2290) Image search: [Google]
Proposed Slavic Homelands.jpg
2 MB, 2921x2290
>>554955
I'm a Slovene. I can't really say I know the origins since we don't have any written records from a certain point; there are several theories, though.
What I do know is that my ancestors settled here sometime between the sixth and seventh century.
>>
>>554955
I'll start. The muh heritage group I seem most interested in at the moment are the Malagasy.

They are believed to be the descendants of basically slaves/subordinates from Borneo most likely the Dayak a forest people with Papuan-like roots aboard Malay trading ships shortly after the Indic cultural infusion of SEA.

The Malay are believed to have had longstanding trade and contact with Africans along the Indian Ocean Littoral forming the linguistic and genetic basis of the Malagasy before they even migrated to Madagascar. These first extensive contacts are believed to have diffused the Banana into Africa.

On settling the island proto-malagasy encountered Vazimba a small, dark skinned population speaking a non-austronesian language, hunters and horticulturalists who later incorporated class stratification and royal rule into Malagasy culture.

Swahili "Arabs" and African herders introduced cattle as a prestige animal among other crops and eventually absorbed the Malagasy of the western coast giving rise to the Sakalava who for quite some time dominated oceanic trade, surrounding island colonization and island politics before the slave trade with the Dutch, Spanish, French and English left them decimated.

The Merina are a wet-rice farming population of the central plateau that incorporated the hierarchical traditions of Vazimba forming familiar royal houses we know today.
>>
>>554955
you sound autistic

have you taken your autism pills tonight?
>>
>>554990
>What I do know is that my ancestors settled here sometime between the sixth and seventh century.
Do you have that confirmed by a DNA test?
>>
>>557452
Not autistic, I like history and am on a history board.
>>
I don't give a fuuuuck

I'm an american muuuutt

Heinz 57
>>
>>557454
I haven't done one on myself, no. I'd have to find somewhere to go do it and they're probably not cheap. Who knows, maybe my ancestors weren't all Slovenes. I know that my ancestors lived in the same areas for the last three hundred years and I'm sure they didn't just pop up at one point, but there's always the posibility of a random German. There's a couple of Germans and Czechs in my extended family tree.

When it comes to our ancestors and their arrival, there are several theories.
The mainstream theory is that they arrived from across the Carpathians sometime in the 6th or 7th century. One group came from Moravia and another from across the Pannonian basin. The main basis of this theory is the fact that Slavs only start getting mentioned in the area around that time.
Another theory suggests that we are autochtonous here. Some even go so far to suggest that our ancestors were the Veneti (they call them Sloveneti). This theory is mostly based on linguistics.
>>
Mutt here. Ancestry from fucking everywhere in western Europe (England, Scotland, Ireland, Potgual, Italy, Holland, Spain), the Indian subcontinent (by way of indentured servants brought to the Carribean and South America), Africa (by way of slaves).

Can only really track my ancestry about 150 years back on my moms side, about 250 on my dads.
>>
>>558254
You know there's a pretty massive leap from "I speak a Slavic language" to "I know my who my ancestors from 1500 years ago were"

Either you have it confirmed by DNA testing, or your family somehow managed to keep records for more than a thousand years. Otherwise, it's a shit claim.
>>
North-African here.

Berber/Vandal/Phoenician heritage I guess.
>>
>>558861
I know who my ancestors from 500 years ago were, and that's good enough for me. I live in a valley that never saw many foreigner, anyway.
>>
File: feelsarmenian.jpg (413 KB, 1432x1146) Image search: [Google]
feelsarmenian.jpg
413 KB, 1432x1146
A R M E N I A
>>
>>558932
So you're saying your valley didn't experience any population changes between 600 AD and now?
>>
File: 1429153814242.png (61 KB, 705x590) Image search: [Google]
1429153814242.png
61 KB, 705x590
finland here. we lived in log huts and ate nothing but reindeer and mämmi until swedes came and civilized us.
>>
>>554955
I'm English so I pretty much don't know how as many different groups and cultures have settled and mixed in, I mean my mother has a welsh last name and I know she might have relatives who are from scotland far back, but on my paternal side, I have some distant relative from Ireland, and my last name might be celtic, but I don't really look celtic at all, and my maternal grandmother's name might be anglicised version of a German surname, also my maternal grandmother's name might be Jewish but i'm unsure. I don't know if you can even make guesses as to what ethnicity from what surnames were recently, I mean genetically my ancestors might have been Anglo saxons mixed with Celts, or maybe I've just got more of that ancestry than celtic, even proper germanic peoples like Norwegians and Austrians probably have some other mixture from Slavs or Latins.
>>
>>558939
Not many changes, that's for sure.
>>
>>554955

Both sides of my family are Italian, though my mother's cousin hired a genealogist a while back who traced her family back to some minor Spanish noble family. My mother was born in Naples so I guess that's not too far of a stretch given the Spanish holdings in Southern Italy. I'd like to do more research into the matter but don't know where to start.
>>
>>558939
He said he came from village full of inbred.
>>
File: 1415394252537.png (210 KB, 484x368) Image search: [Google]
1415394252537.png
210 KB, 484x368
>>559129
It doesn't count as incest if you're related more than a hundred years back.
>>
>>554955
Hungarian

>Dad's family supposedly originates from Poland, we got some actual heritage-researcher to research it a few decades back and he found that our family were impoverished nobles coming in after the mongol invasion of 1240, when foreigners were invited on great terms to replenish the lost population. Who knows, he might have just waited two weeks and come back with something he made up in minutes. Interesting though.
>Mom's paternal family supposedly originiates from Alsace, bunch of relatives in Italy though. Her family name is said to be the local name of some weird farming tool, but I found no source of that.
>Mother's maternal family were German-originating nobles from Transylvania, they used to own a village there from which the family name comes. This is proven by other stuff than the name.

So there you have it, that would be
>muh personal heritage
Btw Hungary is really on par with the USA in terms of mixedness of the white population.
>>
>>554955
My paternal grandfather doesn't talk about his family (he was abused as a child), but from my last name alone I can say that I'm descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages. My paternal grandmother (who is from Egland) can trace her line back to an orphanage in Yorkshire in 1820. My maternal grandfather is descended from James Madison's brother, and his great grandfather was a Confederate colonel who came back to his plantation to find his wife had cucked him and his slaves were freed, so he moved to Nebraska and set up farms. My maternal grandmother is from Bavaria and her grandmother was apparently a Wittelsbach, so I can trace my lineage from her back to Charlemagne.

t. autistic American
>>
>>558865
Aah, tounsi?
>>
My dad's dad's dad was a farmer from northern Pakistan. Guess that makes me 1/16th white, lol. He died the day after I was born.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 725x482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 725x482
Guatemalan here

Grandfather from mother's side was a commie

Father's side is the product of a bastard Mestizo child of some guy named Avendaño
>>
>>554955
Jew here. My family on my fathers side where from Poland, I think Warsaw, and were probably artisans. My mothers family came from a village that was in Austria, but then ended up in Poland, but is now currently part of Ukraine. So they probably were just farmers for a long time.
>>
>mfw no one cares about Malagasy people
>>
>>561296
Why should anyone care?
>>
File: 1449623374652.gif (63 KB, 700x414) Image search: [Google]
1449623374652.gif
63 KB, 700x414
>>561318
Not that anon, but the Austronesians expansion is pretty impressive. Hawaii to Easter Island to Madagascar
>>
File: 1410631799613.jpg (233 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
1410631799613.jpg
233 KB, 1600x960
100% German heritage
>>
>>554993
>>561296
I don't buy that they was slaves/subordinates of the malay. I'm more inclied to believe they're just sea nomad that splintered from their main tribe and keep going west until reach Madagaskar.

>Dayak a forest people with Papuan-like roots
The Dayak are closer to mainland SEA & do't have Papuan admixture m8.
>>
I am a descandant of Niall of the nine hostages and a norman lord that owns a chateu in northern France. It's named after my family.

I am Scottish. But my heritage would be norse-gael

here is my ancestors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_le_Chen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_de_Chesney
>>
My mother's family is from Veneto

My father is Sicilian
>>
My mom's side of the family are Hakka Chinese who went to Vietnam during World War II and then left for America after the Vietnam War. My dad is northern Vietnamese, though he was born in Laos. He knows very little about his own roots and most of his family members are dead.
>>
My father's family is Asturian and by the looks of it, prolly descendans of celts (black hair, green-eyes)

On my mom's side it's where it gets simply bizarre. For one, my greatgrandfather was Jewish (sephardi mixed with ashkenazi by the looks of it= and it is likely my mom's biological father was either a Jewish man or a Soviet sailor.
>>
>>561330
It's a bit more complicated than that but yeah, still impressive.

>Our study partially addresses these latter hypotheses by providing additional mtDNA evidence that does not support Polynesia as a potential ancestral region for the colonization of Madagascar. Indeed, none of the seven published B4a1a1a complete mtDNA sequences from Polynesia (Figure 1) harbor the coding region mutations (nucleotides 1473 and 3423) that all Malagasy B4a1a1a lineages share. However, the same argument holds true for B4a1a1a lineages from Melanesia, and from Island Southeast Asia (Martin Richards and Pedro Soares, personal communication), despite linguistic and Y chromosome evidence9, 20, 23, 25 pinpointing this latter region as the most likely origin of the ‘Asian' migration to Madagascar. Importantly, we acknowledge that the Polynesian motif is extremely rare in Island Southeast Asia and the relatively small number of complete mtDNA sequences carrying the Polynesian motif, which have been tested for the Malagasy motif are even smaller. Therefore, we cannot yet determine conclusively from which region the Malagasy motif may have originated.
>>561376
>For instance, what brought some forest dwelling Dayaks to make one of the most spectacular migrations in history, and why do the Malagasy cultural data not support the linguistic evidence? These factors can be accounted for if we adopt the hypothesis that the Southeast Barito migrants did not undertake the crossing of the Indian Ocean themselves in order to colonize Madagascar, but that they were brought there as subordinates (slaves, ship crew, labourers) by Malays. Malays were seafarers, and they sailed the maritime routes all over Southeast Asia and along the Indian Ocean coast. They also took slaves from other parts of Southeast Asia with them, and it is quite likely that they took subordinates along on their trips to the Indian Ocean. Some of these subordinates may have been South Barito speakers.
>>
Dad is Sephardi

Mom is assorted British from what I understand

Don't really identify with either one so I mostly just align as generic white.
>>
>>554955
My ancestors from time immemorial are Irish, but my last name is Clarke which is of Anglo-Saxon origin.

So as far as can be gathered I'm Old English, in that they're Norman era Anglo-Saxon settlers that remained Catholic after the reformation.
>>
Romaine Turkish and Russian
>>
File: Name_Migration.jpg (271 KB, 1200x1142) Image search: [Google]
Name_Migration.jpg
271 KB, 1200x1142
My surname is super rare and we don't really know where it comes from. All we know is that the line is originally Jewish. The oldest record is from ~1200 at a border crossing between Bohemia and the HRE. Slowly the name 'migrated' West, leaving little to no trace behind, eventually ending up in London. In the late 1800's two Jewish brothers bearing my surname immigrated to New Zealand with the dream of making it an alternative homeland for the Jews instead of Israel. What makes it hard is that the name only shows up around once ever 100 years in census records and border crossings, so the only details we can get about the name is that my ancestors were silversmiths (this is a reoccurring theme in every record/census since 1200 up until when they left London) and few in number.

Around 1900 the family went from being Jews to Catholics and then split in half between Catholics and Anglicans. These days there are about 300 of us in total throughout the world, most of which are in Australia and New Zealand. The few who have the name elsewhere are spread thin throughout Germany.

Genealogy really brings out more questions than answers. Looking getting a genetics test done to get a better idea of what's up.
>>
>>561502
Clarke is an Anglicisation of Ó Clérigh. If you genuinely buy that you're an Anglo, you're doing exactly what the Brits intended to happen generations after they forced people to Anglicise their names.

"No, those dirty Irish were no ancestors of mine. I'm descended from fine planter stock! Rule Britannia who vanquished the Gael!".

>Ó CLÉRIGH—I—O'Clery, O'Cleary, Clery, Cleary, Clarke, &c.; 'descendant of Cléireach' (cleric, clerk). This family derives its name and descent from an ancestor named Cléireach who flourished about the middle of the 9th century, and was the seventh in descent from the celebrated Guaire the Hospitable, King of Connacht. They were at one time the ruling family of Aidhne, co-extensive with the diocese of Kilmacduagh, but early in the 11th century they lost their power, and towards the close of the 13th, were finally driven out of Aidhne and dispersed to different parts of Ireland. One branch of the family settled in Tirawley, Co. Mayo, another in Co. Cavan, and a third in the neighbourhood of Kilkenny. From the Tirawley branch sprang the O'Clerys of Tirconnell, who succeeded the O'Scingins as poets and chroniclers to the O'Donnells, and became celebrated in Irish literary history as the compilers of the Annals of the Four Masters and other valuable works on Irish history and antiquities. Besides the patrimony of the O'Scingins which they inherited by marriage, the O'Clerys obtained large grants of land from the O'Donnells. Their residence was at the castle of Kilbarron, near Ballyshannon. The family is now very numerous throughout Ireland, but the name is often disguised, especially in Ulster, under the translated form of Clarke.

Source: "Sloinne Gaedheal is Gall" (1923) - Rev Patrick Woulfe
>>
Scottish with a bit of Irish on my father's side and Papua New Guinean (Austronesian speaking tribe) on my mother's side, Australian born.

>>554993 we meet again Malagasy bro
>>
I'm 1/2 irish, 1/4 belarussian, 1/8 dutch, 1/16 cherokee, and 1/16 blackfoot. Oh burgerland.

My surname is Burke.
>>
File: I AM WHITE.png (675 KB, 1600x1442) Image search: [Google]
I AM WHITE.png
675 KB, 1600x1442
My native ancestors were probably mapuches who got raped by drunk conquistadors
>>
>>561108
Kek
>>
>>561912
your chilean/argentinean ancestors must've been pretty indigenous for you to only be 69% european with half spanish blood
>>
File: [clicks internally].jpg (15 KB, 268x300) Image search: [Google]
[clicks internally].jpg
15 KB, 268x300
My dad's half-Rwandese and half-Ugandan (his parents were both Bakiga though) and my mom's Sesotho.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.