[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The most important question you can ask is whether or not God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1443044250543.png (152 KB, 271x300) Image search: [Google]
1443044250543.png
152 KB, 271x300
The most important question you can ask is whether or not God exists, because that would determine whether death is nothing or a potential eternal punishment/reward. Discuss.
>>
You're asking whether heaven or hell exists, not whether god does, they can be mutually exclusive.
>>
>>431434
True, though that seems less probable.
>>
>>431420
People fail to appreciate the poetic language of religious texts, and how they explain human nature.

For example: I believe that Jesus was real and was really crucified and resurrected.

Jesus preached charity, egalitarianism, taught that good works help the world, preached against earthly titles, and taught that you should resist hedonistic desires.

Now you can follow Jesus' teachings and believe that He was crucified and resurrected. Or you can believe that Jesus didn't exist. His preachings, either way, still have philosophical value.
>>
>>431420
Actually it wouldn't, senpai. Whether or not God exists and whether or not there's an afterlife are two different questions.
>>
>>431441
There's ways to have life after death without a God. Hegel showed us one way. Also a God does not mean there is an after life for instance Deism.

Why do you just axiomatically assume if there is a God it must be from one of the popular religions, popularity does not decide truth.
>>
>>431560
That's all true, but when I say God I mean the Abrahamic one. That's what most western people understand as God.
>>
>>431577

The Abrahamic "god" has the same probability of existing as every other "god" created by ignorant humans throughout recorded history.....none.
>>
>>431577
And why would you focus on that particular God? Just because it's the most widespread religion doesn't mean it has more validity than any other. For all that we know, egyptians could be right.
>>
>>431420
What justifies this as the most important question in the modern day? None of the solutions can be proven until we reach the point of death, and you can't exactly come back from that to tell everyone else the answer. Shouldn't the most important questions be based on improving our current lives in the natural world?
>>
>It's just as if a man were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. His friends & companions, kinsmen & relatives would provide him with a surgeon, and the man would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the man who wounded me was a noble warrior, a priest, a merchant, or a worker.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know the given name & clan name of the man who wounded me... until I know whether he was tall, medium, or short... until I know whether he was dark, ruddy-brown, or golden-colored... until I know his home village, town, or city... until I know whether the bow with which I was wounded was a long bow or a crossbow... until I know whether the bowstring with which I was wounded was fiber, bamboo threads, sinew, hemp, or bark... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was wild or cultivated... until I know whether the feathers of the shaft with which I was wounded were those of a vulture, a stork, a hawk, a peacock, or another bird... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was bound with the sinew of an ox, a water buffalo, a langur, or a monkey.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was that of a common arrow, a curved arrow, a barbed, a calf-toothed, or an oleander arrow.' The man would die and those things would still remain unknown to him.

The important question is whether there is a way to avoid suffering, and how to do so. God's existence only matters if it affects this, so if the way to avoid suffering is through Christ's sacrifice breaking the karmic link between action and consequence, or by making the hajj and living one's life in submission to God's laws as revealed by Muhammad, then it matters, but if it's through following the Eightfold Path, or if salvation can be gained through the infinite merit of Amitabha, then God's existence is unimportant.
>>
>>431420
Why does death have to have an eternal punishment reward, Just becuase god exist?

I think you need to think beyond your Abrahamic religious dichotomy.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.