[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about the wreck of the Batavia and the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: bat-hist4_2.jpg (73 KB, 704x507) Image search: [Google]
bat-hist4_2.jpg
73 KB, 704x507
What does /his/ think about the wreck of the Batavia and the subsequent mutiny/massacres? It's one of my favourite historical events just cause it's so interesting.
>>
>>549618
>Jacobsz and Cornelisz had already gathered a small group of men around them and arranged an incident from which the mutiny was to ensue.

Okay, sure.

>This involved molesting a high-ranking young female passenger, Lucretia Jans, in order to provoke Pelsaert into disciplining the crew.

Hot.

>She was the daughter of merchant Jan (or Hans) Meynertsz and Steffanie Joosten.
>Steffanie Joosten

Even better
>>
>>549794
Jesus
>>
>>549618
What was it?
>>
>>549953
Not OP so my knowledge isn't that great.
If I remember correctly it was a 18th century Dutch trade ship that had a mutiny of the West coast of Australia and the survivors were split up on different islands and formed little tribes that waged war on each other.

Peter Fitzsimmons an Australian popular history author wrote a book about it popularising the event that was otherwise relatively unknown.
>>
>>549618
>lord of the flies irl
>>
>>549618
First i'd heard of it. Holy shit this is awful.
>>
H U P H O L L A N D
U
P
>>
>>550636
Relatively unknown yeah, but I'm not sure Peter Fitzsimmons popularized it that much, it was always background folklore like Alexander Pearce, and there didn't seem to be too much more buzz about the Batavia post-Fitzsimmons.
>>
I think it may be more than just coincidence that the Aboriginal languages of the area have a few words that are suspiciously close to dutch. One that springs to mind is 'wudugaa' for dugong (australian manatee),which is apparently similar to the dutch version of 'water cow'.

Also, a few explorers mention stoone buildings in the area. The wiki page mentions blood types too, but I dont think there are that many Amungu around to confirm or deny that.
>>
>>551292
Manatee translates to Zeekoe (zay-coo) in Dutch and Dugong to Doejong (from the Malay/Indo for Mermaid).

Wudugaa sounds nothing like Waterkoe (the literal Dutch translation) and more like the English Water Cow
>>
>>550636
>different island
why didn't they try to advance to the mainland?
>>
File: gilles_de_geus_5_de_batavia.jpg (43 KB, 307x400) Image search: [Google]
gilles_de_geus_5_de_batavia.jpg
43 KB, 307x400
This is about that I think
>>
>>549618
Ive visited the restored wreckage in Western Australia. Its one of the more interesting episodes in history.

What I find more interesting is how he tricked all the military men into leaving and thier subsequent struggles and race.

Personally I find the Mutiny on the Bounty and the settling of Pitcairn island to be more interesting though.
>>
>>551390
They only had rafts and the waters are notoriously shark infested. And there's some evidence to point that some survivors did. As referenced by that guy talking about Dutch words used by local abos
>>
>>549618
This is the first I've heard of it and it sounds interesting, any good books on the subject?
>>
>>552243
>the Mutiny on the Bounty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4T_69687s
>>
>>549618
You might also be interested in the raft of the medusa. I didn't know about this episode before, it was a real battle between good (Hayes) and evil (cornilsz)
>>
File: brutal 1.png (136 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
brutal 1.png
136 KB, 325x325
>>549953
The most metal shipwreck ever. There was a mutiny and the lunatic in chief decided that he was going to jack the ship that came to rescue them so he could start his own colony on Australia and reign as king.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia_%28ship%29#Shipwreck

Jeronimus Cornelisz, who had been left in charge of the survivors, was well aware that if that party ever reached the port of Batavia, Pelsaert would report the impending mutiny, and his position in the planned mutiny might become apparent.[speculation?] Therefore, he made plans to hijack any rescue ship that might return and use the vessel to seek another safe haven. Cornelisz even made far-fetched plans to start a new kingdom, using the gold and silver from the wrecked Batavia. However, to carry out this plan, he first needed to eliminate possible opponents.[3]

Cornelisz's first deliberate act was to have all weapons and food supplies commandeered and placed under his control. He then moved a group of soldiers, led by Wiebbe Hayes, to nearby West Wallabi Island, under the false pretence of searching for water. They were told to light signal fires when they found water and they would then be rescued.[3] Convinced that they would be unsuccessful, he then left them there to die.

With a dedicated band of murderous young men, Cornelisz began to systematically kill anyone he believed would be a problem to his reign of terror, or a burden on their limited resources. The mutineers became intoxicated with killing, and no one could stop them. They needed only the smallest of excuses to drown, bash, strangle or stab to death any of their victims, including women and children
>>
>>557810
What a madman
>>
P cool desu senpai
>>
Bill Bryson covers this in his book on Australia

He discovered it by chance when he pulled his car over along the coastline and there happened to be a commemorative plaque or something
>>
Pretty disturbing desu, imagine being one of the people trapped on that island with the mutineers

On the other hand the Dutch soldiers who ultimately defeated the mutineers are kind of inspiring
>>
>>550636
>Peter Fitzsimmons
His name is Bandana Man Who Doesn't Know Anything
>>
>>549618
That's a good one, but here's an even better story about island "survivors" stuff:

>The British Pacific Island Company acquired the rights to guano deposits in 1906 and built a mining settlement in conjunction with the Mexican government. That same year, a lighthouse was erected under the orders of President Porfirio Díaz. By 1914 around 100 people—men, women, and children—were living there, resupplied every two months by a ship from Acapulco. With the escalation of fighting in the Mexican Revolution, the regular resupply visits ceased and the inhabitants were left to their own devices.[17]

>By 1917 all but one of the male inhabitants had died. Many had perished from scurvy, while others (including Captain Arnaud) died during an attempt to sail after a passing ship to fetch help. Lighthouse keeper Victoriano Álvarez was the last man on the island, together with 15 women and children.[18] Álvarez proclaimed himself "king" and began an orgy of rape and murder, before being killed by Tirza Rendon, who was the recipient of his unwanted attention.[17]

>Almost immediately after Álvarez's death four women and seven children, the last survivors, were picked up by the US Navy gunship Yorktown on 18 July 1917.[17] No more attempts were made to colonize it, though it was briefly occupied during the 1930s and 1940s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipperton_Island#Guano_mining_and_the_tragedy_of_1917

RAPE KING OF THIS FUCKING ISLAND
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.