[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are IQ tests an objective measure of ones cognitive capabilities?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: iq-bell-curve.gif (10 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
iq-bell-curve.gif
10 KB, 400x263
Are IQ tests an objective measure of ones cognitive capabilities? What's your experience with it?
>>
>>429769
Not really. If it can be studied for and greatly improve your score, then its not objective. It is predictive, but only to a point.
>>
It's a pattern recognition test.
Great for engineering and physics aptitude, but less useful for everything else
>>
>>429769
I keep getting about 130 to 140 on these things throughout life and I really don't understand it. I'm a great test taker though and fantastic bullshitter.

I agree that it's based in pattern recognition and memorization of basic things like word recognition and simple math. Even if they did reflect a person's intelligence, how well the person applies themself means more in our lives today. Sharp as shit but a total NEET? You're worthless.
>>
Iq tests are games.
They say as much about a persons situational and contextual awareness as their shoes.

t. Mensa invitee
>>
Since IQ test scores correlate (albeit imperfectly) both to various measures of success in life and to physical traits of the brain, clearly there's something there. How important is IQ? What all goes into forming it? I don't really know, But it's a thing.
>>
File: why-g-matters-figure-3.png (32 KB, 801x740) Image search: [Google]
why-g-matters-figure-3.png
32 KB, 801x740
It's very valid and is the most empirical thing social science came up with. Equalitarians don't like it because it hurts their feels and this ideological and political motive is where criticism comes from.
>>
>>429769
Due to a medical condition, a had to take IQ tests pretty frequently in high school.

Magically, my IQ seemed to keep going up the more I took the tests.

>>430673
>It's very valid and is the most empirical thing social science came up with.
That's like boasting 'the most empirical thing chiropractic came up with.'
>>
>>430719
I meant that in the sense it was the exception to the rule. Psychometrics is very sound
>>
>>430038
Ditto. Awareness, especially the ability to participate in meta-cognition, is true intelligence.
>>
Einstein never took an IQ test and thought they were silly.
>>
File: Celebrity IQ 2.jpg (179 KB, 823x670) Image search: [Google]
Celebrity IQ 2.jpg
179 KB, 823x670
Look at this fucking joke.
>>
File: 1.gif (101 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
101 KB, 425x425
The people with super high IQ's seem to be walking human calculators.

They can learn languages and math very quickly, but they lack in what should be a cavalcade of novel ideas.
>>
One of the biggest spooks of the 20th century
>>
>>429769

I think being too smart limits your ability to be creative.
>>
>>430979
>The Greatest
To be fair, I imagine getting punched in the head repeatedly until you black out probably impairs your mental capacity if you compare to the current controversy over non-KO helmeted concussions in football.
>>
>>430979

>Muhammad Ali
>78

Kek, what is the cut off for mental retardation these days? Didn't we lower the threshold a while back because Africans consistently failed it?
>>
>>429769
>cognitive capabilities
Yes, I believe so. You have to be literally retarded not to get close to average. I also felt that I could easily improve my score by brushing up on mathematics which is contrary to the idea of inherent intelligence.

Anyhow, I think "cognitive capabilities" is overrated unless we're talking about extremes. Attitude and knowledge is far superior to the average Joe.
>>
>>431019
Yeah, there are studies that demonstrate that boxing causes brain damage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica
>>
>>431020
see
>>431544
>>
>>429769
>objective
That word doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
No.
Good for pattern recognition and finding out who isn't up to par.

Afterwards it's just a matter of circumstances on whether you succeed or not, the correlation is not so great as you climb up past average.
>>
>>430673
I don't like it too much either, and I've gotten in the 140+ ever since I was a kid.

Positivists: 0
Non-autists: 1
>>
>>434401
you're just upset you can't un-redpill yourself.
It's better to be a happy pig than a sad socrates and high IQ people are generally precluded from the former
>>
>>429779
>Not really. If it can be studied for and greatly improve your score, then its not objective.
Objective does not mean static.

g changes over time. Changes are small, though. Cramming won't make you score higher. You must make grater changes in your life (pursue higher education, take up challenging hobbies, etc).
>>
>>431544
If you just train boxing like any regular joe you won't have many problems. If you train for conpetitions and with weekly heavy sparring you're in for some shit.
>>
>>434991
>better to be a happy pig than a sad socrates and high IQ people are generally precluded from the former
Any peer-reviewed study to back this claim?
>>
>>435093
the inverse relationship between IQ and happiness isn't a secret.
>>
>>436160
That doesn't answer my question now does it?
>>
>>429769
Properly administered IQ tests are not perfect predictors of success or intelligence, and there will be times when people's scores are inconsistent or when highly intelligent people are unsuccessful. IQ tests are a measure of pattern recognition only, but it has been found that good performance on an IQ test is highly correlated with all other measures of cognitive ability, and therefore the general factor of intelligence. IQ is a good predictor of success for all races and income levels and numerous studies have estimated it to be highly heritable.
>>
>>430768
What the fuck does this vague shit even mean, if you could measure it I am sure you would find that it was heavily correlated with intelligence anyway.
>>
>>430979
>Muhammad Ali
>78

I wonder what it was before all the brain damage.

It would be cool to see Michael Jackson on this list.
>>
i never did one
>>
>>430038
What score do you need to be invited to Mensa?
I've never done an official one, but always get around 140/145 on bullshitty online ones.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.