[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some underrated eras and places of history, /his/? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15
File: 1437750216959.jpg (152 KB, 417x393) Image search: [Google]
1437750216959.jpg
152 KB, 417x393
What are some underrated eras and places of history, /his/? I mean, periods you don't hear about often or see in the media.
The Christian Roman empire is one example I can think of.
>>
In modern media Europe in the 30 years war is rather overlooked. Basically anything from early modern to the 19th century or thereabouts. Minus Napoleon, I guess. Especially considering just how extremely important it all was.
>>
>>429399
Yeah, even early 19th century is really overlooked compared to the later half. The discovery of the New World gets a lot of coverage, but not happenings in early modern Europe. I know nothing about the Middle East and East Asia in these periods, either.
>>
viking age
>>
>>429383
Tocharians. Hellenic Asia. Afghanistan pre-Cold War. All of Africa pre-colonialism that isn't Egypt or Carthage. The plethora of labor wars.
>>
>>429383
There's a grotesque leap between antiquity and the Renaissance in mainstream education which I detest. I swear most people don't even know about Charlemagne, the Byzantines and the HRE.
>>
17th century Europe to be honest.
If you don't have the compulsion to seriously investigate it yourself, then you won't learn even a vague outline of it. Of course there are exceptions of particularly famous people/movements like Rubens and Rembrandt, and Baroque alongside the Dutch Golden Age, and Louis XIV, but even then, although it's such an incredibly important event in the protestant reformation, the Luther meme just takes all the attention.

Not like other periods whose outlines are generally just common knowledge.
>>
A lot escapes cultural importance. My favorite period is the industrial revolution. It's not a cultural blind spot, like others in here, but it's a period rife with misconception.
>>
>>429796
>it's a period rife with misconception.

Like what?
>>
Geology honestly
>>
>>429730
I guess that's why they call it the dark ages?
>>
Khazars
>>
Actually the ottoman empire at least I never got anything on them during my history classes at school .
>>
>>430091
>the dark ages
wew lad
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 500x285
Most definitely Persian history. The only sources we have from within the empire are from some Greek doctor named Ctesias, and we've only got fragments left of what once was a 20-something volume set.

Besides that, we've got Herodotus, Xenophon, and Thucydides, but they're all pretty much outside perspectives that project a Greek identity onto Persia.

To really understand the Achaemenids, you have to combone various source. This includes archeology and transaction tablets that divulge demographic data that may or may not confirm Greek accounts.

People prefer the dramatic, Greek image of Persia because their narration is more accessible than parsing through tons of non-narrative data.
>>
>>429383
Everything that happened between 200 AD - 1560 desu.
>>
>>429383
Post-Mongol Central Asia. Samarkand and other places were supposed to be very important for trade and shit. It's a fuckhuge but sparcely populated territory most people (myself included) don't really know anything about.
>>
I feel like very often people gloss over a large portion of the early medieval era and dismiss it as the "dark ages".
>>
>>432054
this. We need a Charlemagne TV series like Spartacus and The Tudors
>>
>>431713
That I learned in school the capital of Persia was Persepolis shows just how we view history of Persia.
>>
Asian history. Outside of college classes focusing on a certain area, people learn almost nothing of any Asian history outside Genghis Kwan conquered a lot and Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
Even the media doesn't portray it but rarely.
>>
>>429383
Asian history outside of China and Japan gets very short thrift. The Khmers, the Siamese, historical Tibet, pre-Mughal India.

Ethiopia. In history classes we are suddenly told out of nowhere that they beat Italy at Adwa, but nothing about who they were or how they got there, the Kingdom of Axum or anything of the sort. Even /pol/ holds Ethiopia as an exception to their perception of an otherwise uncultured Africa and yet there is almost nothing commonly discussed about it and its centuries-old conflict with the Arabian Peninsula, the sultanates of Somalia and the increasingly-muslim lands around it.

Ancient Armenia, a nation that existed between some of the greatest civilizations of the Western world/near-east and preserved its autonomy for much of it.

The Hittites, outside of their invasion of Egypt.

The Ancient and Medieval Kingdoms of the Central Asian Steppe and Northern India - the Kara Khitai, the Indo-Greek states, etc.
>>
hungary during the high medieval period
>>
The Byzantine Empire, though I guess there's some overlap with 'Christian Roman Empire'. The only thing I ever learned about them in school was the Justinian Code.
>>
>Christian Roman empire
I think you mean Roman Catholic empire, also known as the Whore of Babylon.

Jesus said that we are not of this world. Christians do not have a secular kingdom.
Our kingdom is in Heaven.
>>
Anything outside of Europe honestly.
Like the rest of the world just popped into existence somewhere around 1700.
>>
>>432478
Fucking Byzanphiles are everywhere.
>>
>>432506
More like when Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue.
>>
Post Roman barbarian empires, Poland Lithuania, baltic crusades, Swedish empire, yuan China, rhodesia
>>
>>432481
This thread is about overlooked periods of history, take your religious blog post somewhere else.
>>
diadochi states desu senpai
>>
>>432411
it's a shame not enough people know about the khazars either. one of the great mysteries of history
>>
what the fuck is that
>>
>>434586
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be European art of an African.
>>
File: kk.jpg (120 KB, 500x452) Image search: [Google]
kk.jpg
120 KB, 500x452
>>434586
>>
>>429768
good point. I had this thought about the 17th century the other day.
>>
>>431204
khazars probably get more attention than the volga bulgars, the kievan rus, and the steppe nomads like the cumans and pechenegs
>>
>>434586
hitmonlee
>>
>>434586
>>434586
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_men

Learn to google search images senpai
>>
>>434696
yeah but khazars are more interesing, being jew and defending the asia against muslims helps a lot.

christian turks/turkics are also interesting
>>
The Tibetan empire
>>
>>429423
Which is a shame, because it's one of the most interesting periods in the three theaters you mentioned.
>>
The Great Disappointment, or the Second Great Awakening in general.
>>
>>432046
I would say Central Asia in general, post and pre-mongol. I bet most people in the world don't know who were the scythians and others similar to them.
>>
>>434748
I agree they're interesting, but majority of khazars were muslim senpai. Only the turkic ruling class converted to judaism. Volga Bulgars were muslims and had very peaceful trading relations with the kievan rus for several centuries, even if they did war and there were tensions from time to time. The Volga Bulgars controlled the route to the Caspian from which they delivered rich goods from the Muslim East. many of these goods funneled through novgorod and reached scandinavia. So your whole idea of " defending the asia against muslims" is not true.

>christian turks/turkics are also interesting
this is interesting i've never heard of this myself
>>
>>432556
Not in schools.
>>
File: Library Campbell 2.jpg (533 KB, 2953x2645) Image search: [Google]
Library Campbell 2.jpg
533 KB, 2953x2645
I'm really interested in the Silk Road both before and after Marco Polo. A lot of cultural transmission occurred along it, including the spread of the Nestorian church all the way into China
>>
Qing Dynasty, Anything between 400 and 1492.
>>
>>434797
>Qing Dynasty
m8, most of Kung Fu/Wuxia Cinema is ABOUT the Qing Dynasty.

It's famous for Yongzheng's ban on weapons ownership and practice of martial arts by civilians that it bred shitloads of underground martial arts societies and weird weapons to skirt legal bans.
>>
>>434784
Let me change my statement then, their relations and wars with Arabs make them interesting.

For Christian Turkics, there are Gagauz people. Also there were lots of Turkish speaking orthodox in Turkey before this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_exchange_between_Greece_and_Turkey
Well now of course not all of them were Turks but there is a good chance of some being descendants of turcopoles(especially Karamanlis).

For old ones, Cumans and some Pechenegs are examples.
>>
>>429730
This
>>
>>429730
>>435027

Here we dedicated a lot of time and attention to the middle ages (though not as much as post 1789 history), and very little to antiquity and early modern ages. Not a single mention to the Byzantines or the HRE though.
>>
File: st-eustace.jpg (113 KB, 531x329) Image search: [Google]
st-eustace.jpg
113 KB, 531x329
>>435043
>>429730

Definitely here in America. Given the foundational influences of the Enlightenment and the Reformation on United States History, a lot gets skipped over in the Elementary School classrooms.
>>
File: 1327017030982.jpg (64 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1327017030982.jpg
64 KB, 533x800
>>434700
>check the wiki page for Blemmyes
>it actually links to Hitmonlee
>>
>>435147
Oh, well, I'm sorry for you guys but it's normal for America to ignore the middle ages. No idea why would they cover the antiquity better though.
>>
>>435152
kek it's true
>>
>>432506
Cause history is about wars and Europe had the most
>>
File: gonurSouth.jpg (95 KB, 750x420) Image search: [Google]
gonurSouth.jpg
95 KB, 750x420
Everything anons mentioned isn't THAT underrated. Sure, you don't hear about these too often, but many people at least know about their existence.

Now how about Bactria-Margiana Archaeological Complex: a unique, indigenous (more precisely, a mix of Indo-Iranians and native people of the region) urban Central Asian civilisation dating back to 3rd millenium BC?

Neolithic Australia is extremely underrated too, to the point that even scientists often talking of Australia as being inhabited only by hunter-gatherers (I don't mean just eel farms, which are literally meme tier, I mean genuine agriculture and large, non-tent villages).
>>
>>435333
Tell me about pre-european australia
>>
File: ayy lmao.jpg (733 KB, 762x1000) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.jpg
733 KB, 762x1000
>>435391
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradshaw_rock_paintings
>>
File: nuraghi.jpg (354 KB, 1000x831) Image search: [Google]
nuraghi.jpg
354 KB, 1000x831
>>435333
Thanks, never head of Bactria-Magriana site before.

The nuraghis of Sardinia are pretty unknown too, along the culture that builded them. Basically pic related, bronze age castles. Sardinia is literally dotted with these and many are well preserved considering their age, 3000-3500 years.
>>
>>429730
I don't know about the HRE and Charlemagne, but I know a lot about the Byzantines, since I live close to where it used to be and they made a lot of impact on my country.
>>
File: shahr-e-sukhteh.jpg (141 KB, 800x537) Image search: [Google]
shahr-e-sukhteh.jpg
141 KB, 800x537
Shahr-e-Sukhteh. Five-thousand-year old settlement in Iran, home of the world's first artificial eyeball. No-one knows anything fucking else about it.

I have a huge boner for Bronze Age stuff, post more plz
>>
>>429730
I'm going to specialize in this period precisely for this reason, I've spent my whole life hearing about Egypt/greece/Rome/ and then 1400 onward in great detail while everything in between has been reduced to "Oh yeah Rome fell life sucked there were Vikings and Charlemagne happened for a little bit".
>>
>>429383
Iceland
Hawai'i

>>429889
Yep

>>429768
Yep

>>429423
Yep

I'd also say the 1890s to 1910s in the West had interesting stuff other than the run up to the world wars
>>
File: 78507868778.jpg (284 KB, 834x786) Image search: [Google]
78507868778.jpg
284 KB, 834x786
>>429768
>>
I like to think the neolithic time period is overlooked.
>>
>>439018

BRONZE
File: Europe_1190.jpg (667 KB, 2293x1810) Image search: [Google]
Europe_1190.jpg
667 KB, 2293x1810
Medieval Eastern Europe?

I got little idea what happened east of HRE/Italy and west of Russia , that time. You learn the Ottoman expansion and rise of Russia, divisions of Poland, and theres some footnotes about Austria Hungary, but nothing about what happened here in the middle and early modern times.
>>
The Conquest of Siberia
>>
>>429730

Migration period has largely been forgotten.
>>
>>434795

Have watched the Silk Road (japanese doumentary series from early 80's)? Goat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qer5yTyYvI
>>
Ancient Egypt outside of the Bible. When really is the last movie involving Egyptians and NOT about Moses?

Ancient Maya or Inca would be neat. We got Apocalypto, but culturally that was definitely Aztec in mind.

The splintering of Alexander's Empire and the wars of the Diadochi could be great as a mini series. End the show with Antiochus, Ptolemy and the other guy settling into their thrones, and have a hint regarding to the rise of Rome.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.