[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WW2 Soldier excumation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
WW2 soldier excumation in Latvia ( eastern front). Still lot of these soldiers who died in frontline and Soviet Union didn't care about them.
>>
More pictures.
>>
>>428886
> Soviet Union didn't care about them.
What.
>>
About soldiers who died in frontline.
>>
Tie ir krievi, vēsture jau sen ir pierādījusi to, ka pēc 1917. gada revolūcijas tā ir aprobežotākā tauta
>>
>>428909
More like no one wanted to go to Latvia
>>
>>428898
To my understanding Soviets left a lot of their own corpses behind after WW2. I know in Finland they just took a few corpses and left the rest to rot. Most of them are probably burried in unmarked mass graves.
>>
>>429208
Āmen brāl
>>
>>429219
It's even worse than that. My father used to spend a lot of the time North of Saint Petersburg during USSR approximately where Mannerheim Line was, and apparently it was bones fucking everywhere.

Same in a lot of other places around Saint Petersburg, actually, like Sinyavino.
>>
File: Untitled.png (872 KB, 1144x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
872 KB, 1144x768
>>429219
The fighting was so intense, and so many people died that recovering the bodies was almost impossible. Pic related. A few photos I've seen attributed to Stalingrad.

>>429241

In the book Aftermath, the author tours a bunch of battlefields and discusses their condition in the modern day. One of the places he goes to is a field outside Stalingrad and according to him, the field was just absolutely littered with bones and equipment. I haven't found anything to corroborate this claim, like photos or a documentary but I could only imagine that with the conditions of the Soviet Union, they had more things to worry about than a bunch of dead krauts rotting in a field somewhere.
>>
File: 6KZ5S2t.jpg (119 KB, 800x642) Image search: [Google]
6KZ5S2t.jpg
119 KB, 800x642
>>428886
Bumping with this because the thread is interesting.

>even in death, I must squat.
>>
File: 1446372148240.png (9 KB, 384x461) Image search: [Google]
1446372148240.png
9 KB, 384x461
>>429675
Holy fuck
>>
>>429675
Jesus Christ
>>
Russians are barbarians what else is new?
>>
>>429675
it keeps happening pretty much in every place where a major battle broke out
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/skeletons-of-200-napoleonic-troops-found-in-germany
>>
>>430480
Those guys were buried. The field of bones in Aftermath was apparently just exposed to the sun.
>>
>>430299
Perhaps you would rather mind the enemy than burying your comrades else you'd join their sleep.
>>
>>429683
I bet that ppsh is still fully functional due to slav magic.
>>
>>433518
Actually PPSh were pretty shitty as far as reliability goes, especially drum mag version. PPS were way better.
>>
>>429675
https://www.nfb.ca/film/aftermath_the_remnants_of_war
at about 16:00 they start showing a russian that tries to identify remains he finds at stalingrad
also, the entire documentary is good, not just that part
>>
>>429675
>>429683
>>428886
The number of dead during ww2 makes me feel insignificant to be honest, how about you guys? Also, what would a world war look like now with nukes, drones, and chemical warfare?
>>
File: Untitled.png (306 KB, 597x286) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
306 KB, 597x286
>>433953
>Also, what would a world war look like now with nukes, drones, and chemical warfare?

A lot of people assume that we would go full-retard and annihilate each other in the first exchange of nuclear weapons, but if the war ramps up slowly enough, nuclear devices might only be limited to a tactical sense until a nuclear power is on the brink of the abyss. You know, used in the way Artillery was used historically. Clear bunkers, soften defenses, etc.

So yes, a LOT of people would die, and civilizations will fall but it's not like the world will be a global nuclear wasteland as soon as the first round is fired.

That being said, I remember seeing a page out of the NATO field manual from the 60s posted on /k/ that basically said their life expectancy for a tanker in a war with Russia was about 5 minutes. Tanks are amazingly soft targets with 21st century anti-tank weapons.
>>
File: znmwlmV.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
znmwlmV.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
>>433572
>mfw watching that

thank you.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.