[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many peoples or cultures or whatever you want to call them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Justinian555AD.png (195 KB, 2111x1144) Image search: [Google]
Justinian555AD.png
195 KB, 2111x1144
How many peoples or cultures or whatever you want to call them made claim to either being Rome or Rome's successor?
>>
>>428187
Ottomans
HRE
Byzantines
Tsardom Russia
>>
>>428187
Napoleon claimed to be the heir of Caesar, I believe
>>
File: 1449335217484.png (367 KB, 1600x1954) Image search: [Google]
1449335217484.png
367 KB, 1600x1954
>>428259
source? sounds interesting. i knew he was obsessed with rome
>>
>>428255
>Byzantines
Having a giggle?
>>
>>428187
Basically every western European country is a child of Rome.
>>
>>428187
carolingians haven't yet been mentioned.
also, byzantines literally were the eastern roman empire
>>
>>428255
>Rome claims to be Rome

Well yeah that's actually logical, even if kind of redundant to state.
>>
>>428473
And an Eastern one.
>>
>>428278
He wasn't obsessed with Rome at all, he just thought some Roman symbology looked cool.
>>
>>428441
>>428473
>>428487
Orthodox shills pls.
>>
"Byzantine" and "Eastern Roman Empire" are modern inventions

They referred to themselves simply as "The Roman Empire". They saw no break in continuity the way we do. They'd merely lost the western provinces. Their character was Greek rather than Latin, that is probably the most significant difference, but Rome had ceased to have much political significance in the empire long before even the west fell. It was a museum city, like Athens.
>>
>>428742
>They referred to themselves simply as "The Roman Empire".
So did the Germans.
>>
>>428749
Wir sind die echten Römer. :^)
>>
I always found it amusing that the Eastern Emperors referred to themselves as βασιλεύς Ῥωμαίων. I have always wondered what Cato the Elder would have to say about that.
>>
>>428777
>We are totally not a kingdom, guys, there can't be a king in Rome
>This guy? Oh, he's our princeps, just like his father was.
At least Greeks were honest.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 824x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 824x720
Pretty much every Christian civ in Europe tried to lay claim to Rome's legacy in one way or another. It was a way to legitimize their authority, especially in late antiquity/early Middle Ages when Europe was divided into petty kingdoms that needed to stabilize their position.

Pic is Charlemagne's palace at Aachen.
>>
>>428848
Same poster, also wanted to add how even the British tried linking them to Rome. For example, Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People opened with the creation of Adam and Eve, then with the founding of the Roman Republic.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.