[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's more powerful in christian mythology, Angels or Saints?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10
File: St. Maurice..jpg (91 KB, 472x600) Image search: [Google]
St. Maurice..jpg
91 KB, 472x600
Who's more powerful in christian mythology, Angels or Saints?

Could an angel beat a saint in a fight?
>>
>>427567
According to my chinese cartoons, yes.
>>
Every believer is a Saint you idol kissing fuck.
>>
Angels don't exist, they're metaphors.
>>
>>427590
Elaborate
>>
>>427590
No. Angels are beings, described as such in the bible.
>But muh methaphors, muh message.
Fuck off retard!, as described in the bible, god and angels are actual beings, not some kind of metaphor.
>>
>>427567
Saints are below Angels level, but both of classes lose to Imagine Breaker
>>
>>427619
Give me feats here.

Sodom and Gommorra show that angels are at least city buster level.
>>
>>427597
All supernatural events in the bible are metaphors. The bible has always been treated as a rich library of symbolism and moral teachings. Biblical literalism didn't exist before the 19th century. So whether Jesus physically rose from the dead is irrelevant, since he symbolically rose to "new life", thus making it true whether it actually happened or not.
>>
>>427613
I don't think you're mature enough yet to appreciate the rich symbolism of the bible. You're like those fedoras who think they've "disproved" the bible because some parts of Genesis didn't historically happen. The fact that they've been written down in symbolic imagery makes it true.
>>
>>427632
Omg, you are more retard than i though.
>The bible has always been treated as a rich library of symbolism and moral teachings.
You really believe that bullshit, that people though bible was just fairtailes for centuries? you really think people killed for some methaphor?. People believed it, and the same with all religions. You are just playing the 11 year old card. "I think is a message daddy, i think the bible is a methaphor!" Grow up, Bitch!.
>>
File: 1397395918812.jpg (10 KB, 276x356) Image search: [Google]
1397395918812.jpg
10 KB, 276x356
>>427613
>>427660
mad as fuck to be honest
>>
You're assuming all saints have similar power levels and all angels similar power levels
>>
>>427632
So Jesus just metaphorically rose from the dead?
>>
>>427590
>Angels don't exist
"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."
Hebrews 13:2

Or is that a metaphor?
>>
>>427632
mommy! i think the bible is a metaphor, i just proved that all religion since early times are just fairy tails and that people killed, lived and prayed for a methaphor, not because they think that it was real.
>>
>>427660
Yup, definitely not mature enough yet. I wish Jesus could symbolically exercise the demons of close-mindedness from you, and symbolically send them into a herd of pigs to drown in a metaphorical sea.
>>
>>427679
How do we know what's a metaphor and what's not?

Doesn't it become opinion at some point?
>>
>>427672
Doesn't matter, since the church has always treated the resurrection as the beginning of a new, moral life; which comes from following the teachings of Jesus. The old immoral life "dies", and is replaced with a better new life through Jesus.
>>
>>427685
Man, with all the respect, but saying that Bible is a methaphor is just an insult to all the believers and the religion itself, because let´s be honest, you dont have a single proof to say that. Its even the other way around, bible says that god is real, and all the things with it.
>>
>>427703
*tips fedora*
>>
>>427567
Saints are just humans, and in some cases they can do miracles. But nothing too impressive. While angels are divine beings, city busters, and if god allows it probably planet busters too.
>>
>>427718
>every person who disagree with me must be a neckbeard...
Other proof that you are just a child in the mind.
>>
>>427718
I'm a Baptist

Retard
>>
>>427704
Nigga what. Jesus literally defeated death so that we may have a new life through him. A life after death.

Yeah we are able to renew our lives by getting rid of sin because of jesus, but we are literally supposed to have physical forms again, after death, just like Jesus did.
>>
>>427707
I don't know how you're not understanding this, whether the events of the New Testament are actual occurrences is irrelevant. The fact the gospels were written with so much symbolism and metaphor makes the events true.

Example: A neckbeard might argue that because Augustus never ordered a census of the empire at the birth of Jesus, the Bethlehem narrative may have possibly been a fake to give Jesus more credibility by having him born in the tribe of Judah.

But the tools of archaeology are impotent, since the moral symbolism makes it historically true.
>>
>>427567
Angels are more powerful obviously. But the Imagine Breaker is the strongest of them all to the point that it could purify God himself. Also the reason why Protestantism isn't mentioned in Raildex is because it sucks balls so much that the author decided that High Church Anglicans, Catholics and Orthodox are to be the magic factions that represent Christianity. Protestantism is left out because it is fucking shite
>>
>>427786
The only way to know if god is trying to communicate with us is to take the Bible literally, and it is. A subjective message is not the way. And really man, this debate is dead, the Bible takes his message as literal. Your point is dead.
>>
>>427786
The bible talks about the physical manifestation of the son of god which is jesus. Jesus is a physical manifestation not a metaphorical one. Angels are beings, the apocalypsis is a real event for the physical world. Bible is literal.
>>
>>427890
Then Jesus should've literally returned within the lifetimes of the Apostles.
>>
>>427908
What makes you think he didnt?
inb4 muh historical evidence.
>>
>>427881
Then the Bible is literally wrong about a large number of things.

You're starting to sound as stupid as a Mormon.
>>
>>427915
Uh, yeah. Evidence of it happening would greatly help the argument that it actually happened.
>>
>>427919
Bible is obviously literally wrong about lot of things. But that isn´t prove of the non existence of jesus or god. Is just a prove that bible has errors.
>>
>>427627
Best we can offer you is saints have like +10 against Reptiles.

Well, we got St. Nicholas, patron Saint of Pugilists, who got that for punching out Arias.

And George, who slayed a dragon.
>>
>>427931
The evidence existed but it was destroyed by the jews, im sure you are not going to believe me. But it´s the true.
>>
>>427940
It weakens the claims the Abrahamic God exists, or that Jesus was the son of God. Sure even if we reach the day where each book is broken down piece-by-piece and proven to be some messy combination of mistranslation, artistic license, and even outright deception; no one can still disprove the existence of "God".

But the human conceptions of God up to this point can be proven fraudulent. Just because the possibility of God may always exist, doesn't mean the Judeo-Christian God should even be put on the table as a possibility anymore.
>>
>>427590
In the Kabbalah they're literally beings of manifested non-Euclidean geometry
>>
>>427680
A metaphor for real things that couldn't be expressed in any other way you absolute fucking mongoloid
>>
>>428103
You are totally stupid, A religious message cant be metaphoric since it would be subjective therefor ineffective, all religious messages should be taking literally since it´s the only way to prove something, like a message from god.
>>
>Anyone can be a saint, no can be an angel
>Anyone can be a worker, only a few can be CEO's
What do you think OP?
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 125x123
>>427660
>>
>>427786
so you're saying true =! actual occurrence??
>>
>>427567
Jesus/God > Phophets > Satan > angels > "Saints" and other idols hiding a demon > regular humans > "Saints" and other idols hiding nothing and are just lifeless paintings/carvings/stories etc.
>>
File: 1446309143842.gif (1 MB, 360x181) Image search: [Google]
1446309143842.gif
1 MB, 360x181
>>427660
Jesus fuck chill out
>>
>>427567
Neither, for all power originates with God.
>>
>>428180
Prophets higher than Satan? what drug you take? Satan is the nemesis, even the archangel Michael needed the help of god to stand against satan.
>>
>>427944
What about the chick who cut off her tits and then they grew back?
Restoration +5 per boob?
>>
>>427574
this

god > angels
>>
In some teachings (at least Presbyterianism) all people are saints, so on average I'd say angels easily outclass saints.
>>
God seemed pretty confident that no one could get past his "cherubim" when he sealed off Eden:
"After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life." Gen 3:24

This would imply to me that no mortal could git gud enough to kill an angel.
>>
>>428668
>some teachings
It's in the Bible m8. Explicitly.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 695x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 695x900
>>427567
>Angels- Invisible being that only exists in the spiritual form and it's only will is to serve the most high
>Men(Saints)- Visible being that exists both spiritually and physically and has free will
In Islam, Rabbinic Judaism, and Mainstream (Catholic and Orthodox ) Christianity Humans rank higher than Angels.
>>
>>428706
Where did you get literally all of that from?

>Invisible being
One appeared to Mary, even in Christian bullshit mythology.
>That only exist in the spiritual form
No, they like visiting desert Bedouins and giving them freaky prophetic advice
>and it's only will is to serve the most high
I think this is accepted, but idk if there's scripture for it.

>Power ranking: metaphysics edition
There's a good deal of contention about this point, at least in Christianity and Judaism.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 231x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 231x294
>>428724
>One appeared to Mary, even in Christian bullshit mythology.
Under the direction of God of course. There is a reason why in churches refer to them as invisible things

>No, they like visiting desert Bedouins and giving them freaky prophetic advice
Kek

>There's a good deal of contention about this point, at least in Christianity and Judaism
God DID make Man in His image. http://orthodoxinfo.com/death/angels2.aspx
>>
>>428556
Prophets are directly empowered by the Lord, at least when working. They can cast out demons and Satan when working righteously. (For example, getting someine to repent is forcing Satan out of their hearts.) And we've seen humans defeat angels, such as with Jacob.

I guess it depends on which angel and which prophet you're looking at. Jonah probably couldn't beat anyone, Enoch is a different story.
>>
>>428786
Official prophet rankings when?
>>
Fight with human vs. angel ended in draw. On the other hand Saints are just regular people who were able to get in Heaven. There are also like dozen levels of Angels.
>>
>>428792
After Prophetmania IV on PPV.
>>
>>428769
>My pastor once referred to an angel as an "invisible thing"
>Therefore, all angels are invisible
>Dismisses the entire Old Testament, where angels have regular interactions with people
>Says that "Mainstream Christianity, Judaism and Islam" all have consensus on a certain topic
>Could find out that they don't with 30 seconds on google
>instead provides a single link from a Orthodox meme Christianity website.

Nice argument, friend!
>>
>>427679
That is so obviously a metaphor its not even funny anon.
>This must be bate
Do you think that means some people your nice to secretly have little wings or are wheels within wheels or whatever?
No it means be nice to people and people are more likely to be nice to you.
>>
>>427876
In England we call the Anglican Church protestants, if that is relevant.
>>
>>430787
Maybe so but tell me, is there any Protestant faction in the magic side in Raildex that isn't like the Catholic Church?
>>
>>427680
>I don't understand metaphors
religion being metaphor doesn't make it irrelevant, they just make the morals and ideology easier to understand. They killed, lived and prayed for there belief of creating a better world, whether they were right or wrong. If you don't understand that you should just stay quiet while the adults are talking.
>>
>>427567
Saints are just regular dead guys who are for sure in heaven, angels are more powerful.
t. catholic highschool graduate
>>
>>428797
That fight was a pretty big deal don't forget, they named themselves Israel because of it
>>
>>427567
Double saint
>>
>>428124
You've just explained the exact reason it's written as a metaphor.
>>
>>430807
I have no idea, I just thought you might want to know that.
>>
>>427590
Ezekiel 10
>6 When the Lord commanded the man in linen, “Take fire from among the wheels, from among the cherubim,” the man went in and stood beside a wheel. 7 Then one of the cherubim reached out his hand to the fire that was among them. He took up some of it and put it into the hands of the man in linen, who took it and went out. 8 (Under the wings of the cherubim could be seen what looked like human hands.)

9 I looked, and I saw beside the cherubim four wheels, one beside each of the cherubim; the wheels sparkled like topaz. 10 As for their appearance, the four of them looked alike; each was like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 11 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the cherubim faced; the wheels did not turn about[b] as the cherubim went. The cherubim went in whatever direction the head faced, without turning as they went. 12 Their entire bodies, including their backs, their hands and their wings, were completely full of eyes, as were their four wheels. 13 I heard the wheels being called “the whirling wheels.” 14 Each of the cherubim had four faces: One face was that of a cherub, the second the face of a human being, the third the face of a lion, and the fourth the face of an eagle.
>>
I'm not even remotely theistic.
But this sounds like some Romantic bible fanfiction / heresy everyone is talking about here.

There isn't much on the mythology of angels in the bible itself.
>>
>>431004
Meh, everything not taken as canon is heresy, and one man's heresy is another's canon.
>>
>angels and saints fighting

What are you 10?
>>
>>430807
What the fuck is raildex?
>>
>>427567
That Saint is a nigger...how could this be?
>>
File: 1448317356909.gif (1 MB, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
1448317356909.gif
1 MB, 216x216
christianity, blasphemy at it's finest, yet christians believe god loves them, delusional mindless sheep.
>>
>>431426
15th century german painter wanted an "exotic" vibe for his depiction of a saint born in Upper Egypt.
>>
Being a saint in the Catholic Church just means you went to heaven for sure. That's why they have requirements and investigation of miracles and shit. Cus you can't preform miracles from hell or purgatory. "living saint" isn't a real thing.

Angels are more powerful then because they exist outside of time and shit. But God created humans in his image so we are more loved I guess?
>>
>>427567
Powerful? Angels.
Angels are hands of god.
Everything exists because of creation though and our enlightenment gives us the chance of divinity.
Saints were exemplary souls the rest of us should take direction from.
Saints>angels
>>
>>431426
Saint Maurice. Egyptian-born Roman legionary leader of the Theban Legion in the 3rd century. Patron saint of soldiers, swordsmiths, armies, and infantrymen.

Martyred along with the entirety of his legion (if you believe the mythology, the entire legion were Christian...) when they refused to kill Christians.

Has been depicted as a black male since at least the 9th C in Europe.
>>
>>431477
Saints have souls
Angels don't
>>
>>427670
Exactly. You have to weigh their strengths. Take a look at St. Paul for example. An absolute powerhouse, with level 10 agility, level 8 speed, level 9 strength, and a devastating laser beam. Absolutely unstoppable, no matter what angel you've got. Only one who might prove a worthy opponent is St. Gabriel because of his level 10 speed, but his strength is only level 6, and any damage done to St. Paul would be minimal, as well as the fact that St. Paul would recover quickly from the blows
>>
>>427660
>>427680
are we being raided by /r/autism ?
>>
>>431413
This,
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj50d-t4ebJAhUDbRQKHWSDBnkQFggtMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fkissanime.to%2FM%2FAnime%2FToaru-Majutsu-no-Index&usg=AFQjCNFk2ye20qKtG2BIcDYIRPqBaSo9xA&bvm=bv.110151844,d.d24

Watch and feel the power of the Imagine Breaker.

>TFW no Protestant faction in the magic side
>TFW Protestantism is so insignificant in the Raildex universe that it doesn't exist
>TFW all the Christian factions in the magic side are all High Church, Catholic or Orthodox

Feels good that glorious Nippon knows that Low Church is rule of uncool
>>
>>427567
Angels are higher than saints with the exception of Mary
I doubt powerlevels apply though
>>
>>427660
topkek how did you escape from the wheelchair
>>
>>427727
even worse
>>
I'm very sure that angels in Christianity have free will.
How else would Satan have fallen
>>
>christian mythology
You mean Catholic mythology.

Roman Catholicism =/= Biblical Christianity
>>
>>427679
I mean, that's probably the worst example you could have picked, anon. 10/10, good job.
>>
>>427570
Dark Schneider beats them all
>>
>>427720
So can an angel beat Goku?
>>
>>427574
Actually, everyone in heaven is a saint. The Saints are just the people whom tradition holds must be in Heaven due to miracles associated with them.
>t. catholic
>>
>>427660
>You really believe that bullshit, that people though bible was just fairtailes for centuries?
From at least Augustine to the Renaissance much of the Bible was treated allegorically. The early Church fathers didn't even want to include Revelation because they thought it was far too easy to misinterpret by the laity.
>>
Humans are made into the image of God which
means they can receive eternal blessings and
never stop evolving.

As long as we exist here in this reality we're
just a little lower from angels ( if we live a life
like Christ did )
But in the afterlife we become small gods with the possibility to evolve.

The highest ranked being in the spiritual world after the Trinity ( God ) is Virgin Mary, higher
than any angelic hierarchy, the highest a human got and the highest a human will ever get.
>>
St. Patrick could cause the ground to open up and swallow people, curse whole families to impotence, bring people back from death, and make people go to heaven.
>>
There is no God and there are no Angels.
Saints are just good people that human run churches honour.And many of them actually deserve it.
>>
>Catholics and their fantasies

Catholics give Christians a bad name.
Stop acting like a 12 year old.
>>
File: 1449543146024.gif (955 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1449543146024.gif
955 KB, 360x360
>>427660
>grow up, Bitch!.
>>
>>430842
... omg.. You are fucking retarded.
>>
>>430809
The guy has arguments. The bible states jesus was real and that everybody who negates him or the father is doing heresy. And saying that jesus never existed and it was all a methaphor is a form of heresy. If you want to take the bible as some ficcion book is fine. You are just an atheist faggot.
>>
>>434949
Autist, virgin and atheistic (fool) gtfo to sci or hentay. pls.
>>
>>432810
That´s bullshit.
>>
>>432810
Some proofs?
>>
>>427567
it's obvious angels are better, but what if a saint had the holy lance? could he beat an angel in a fight with that?
>>
>>430809
I have some questions for you. How the afterlife is a metaphor? How god is a metaphor? explain it to me.
>>
>Who's more powerful, mermaids or yetis?

Great thread, OP.
>>
>>435805
No. He could beat a lesser demon though.
>>
>>428786
I dont think anyone but jesus can cast out Satan. Satan was the second after God.
>>
>>428797
When angels go serious, they can destroy entire cities.
>>
File: 1432829596595.jpg (12 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1432829596595.jpg
12 KB, 200x200
>>427567
This is possibly the worst thread ever made on this board.
>>
>>427567
Saints because humans were made in gods image making us godlike
God>man>everything else
>>
>>427567
>Could an angel beat a saint in a fight?
They wouldn't.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.