[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/new s/local/startling-new-re
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 69699969.jpg (110 KB, 620x440) Image search: [Google]
69699969.jpg
110 KB, 620x440
http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/news/local/startling-new-report-on-oak-island-could-rewrite-history-of-the-americas-1-7118097

What are your thoughts on this, /his/? This is pretty close to where I live.

TL;DR Roman artifacts and a Roman ship greatly preceding Christopher Columbus have been discovered on the East Coast, in Nova Scotia.
>>
Other anons, how true is this article?

Personally, I'm not surprised that loners from a superpower traveled far and found north America.
>>
The real trick wouldn't have been getting to America.

It would have been getting back.

Given how much maritime trade there was in classical antiquity, it doesn't surprise me that at least one ship would fuck up so badly they'd inadvertently conquer the Atlantic. But without triangular sails, booms, or any knowledge of the prevailing winds, it would be impossible to return to Europe.
>>
>>426818
"Damn it Maximus, now look what you've done."
>>
>this trailer
Someone post the US vs Brit documentary pasta
>>
>>427663
>Gaius, I think we found a race of dark Germanic barbarians
>Maximus will you just shut up already?
>>
>>426758
>oak island
>anything credible
holy fuck i hate hearing about that place
>>
First comment:
Dear Sir or Madame,
It was with extreme disappointment that I read this article.
As a former reporter and a 25 year Oak Island investigator, I'm dismayed to see Mr. Pulitzer's fantastic claims being printed with an appallingly apparent lack of professional journalistic standards.A little fact-checking and investigation on your part would have revealed rather different facts about this story and about Mr. Pulitzer himself. It would have also prevented your paper the embarrassing situation of being responsible for a false story about a fake antiquity being carried on the wire. Myself and my partners have been engaged in Oak Island historical research for many years. It is our investigative practice to separate verifiable facts from typical Oak Island legends.
When this story first "broke" by Pulitzer in a youtube video some months ago we immediately began an investigation. Here is what we have been able to verify:
- That the authenticity, provenance and chain of custody of the object named as a Roman sword is unverified.
- brought forward by a mysterious individual who actually offered it for sale to the owners of the island.
-Pulitzer encouraged the acquisition and provided the "authentication" as a genuine antiquity.
-That either the owners of the island or Prometheus paid a considerable sum for this object before it could be properly authenticated by accredited professionals.
-Pulitzer was never an integral part of the Oak Island treasure hunt and was only brought in by the entertainment company, not the owners.
-That the relationship between Pulitzer and Oak Island went sour and he is no longer welcome on the island.
>>
>>427878
As for the other "facts" he presents:
- The underwater "burial mounds" are actually the remains of an abandoned attempt to build a causeway to the island many years ago.
- Barberry shrubs were introduced in Nova Scotia by the Acadians in the 17th century.
-The petroglyph that Pulitzer claims to depict an ancient vessel is well known to depict an 18th-19th century fore and aft rigged square topsail shallop or schooner.
- The petroglyph that is claimed by Pulitzer to depict marching Roman Legionnaires was dated as no earlier than the 16th century.
- No shipwreck in the waters immediately surrounding the island has ever been physically located or confirmed.
It's unfortunate that your paper, which I'm sure has a fine reputation in your community, has been somewhat taken in by this obviously dubious story which has been generated and promoted solely by Mr. Pulitzer himself; until today, when your story went out on the wire and directly contributed to misinforming the public through substandard journalistic integrity. Perhaps your editor will keep a more watchful eye henceforth.
If you would like to become better aquainted with the facts concerning this case please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Kelly W. Hancock, CD
Partner
Blockhouse Investigations
Halifax, Nova Scotia
>>
>thread topic debunked
>thread dies instead of discussing it
Y'all some bitches
>>
File: dubious_sword_claims.jpg (120 KB, 627x749) Image search: [Google]
dubious_sword_claims.jpg
120 KB, 627x749
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/j-hutton-pulitzer-alleges-a-roman-sword-was-found-off-oak-island-several-decades-ago

This dude is Ancient Aliens league, but at least he refutes all the claims by Putilzer.

Pic related.
>>
>>427878
>>427882
This sounds like it was written in the 1880s.
>>
>>426818
The Irish boat was recreated and used recently to see if it was capable, it was more capable in ice than regular ships.

See St. Brendan.
>>
>>428071
There's nothing to discuss
>>
>>429618
From Canada to Ireland?
Was it used in conjunction with knowledge available to Irish sailors of the period it was taken from?

What were the conditions they sailed in? Very fair weather for the North Atlantic, or during regular or bad weather?

Could the boat have made the journey with a hold or deck full of supplies and goods that it would transport, or was that a part of the experiment?
>>
File: 1432531296761.png (118 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1432531296761.png
118 KB, 736x736
>>426758
Viking fags on suicide watch.
>>
>>428843

>m'lady (tips fedora)
>Dear Sir or Madame,
>It was with extreme disappointment....
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.