[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The development Agriculture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: 20gcwuo.jpg (36 KB, 269x224) Image search: [Google]
20gcwuo.jpg
36 KB, 269x224
Before 10,000BCE or so humanity was a species of hunters and gatherers. As a rule men did the bulk of the hunting of animals and women did the bulk of the gathering of plants and similar. But at the date previously mentioned things began to change in what's now Iraq. Basically some of the gatherers began to realize they could get more out of the fields of wild wheat that relied on had if they removed the various non wheat and barley plants plants and that they could use some of the seeds that they otherwise would eat to grow more plants. Eventually these ladies turned to clearing out land and growing nothing but wheat and barley on these plants. And so over several generations these hunter gatherers became farmers and would go onto build civilizations and develop technology more advanced than crude bows shooting flint arrows. This process would repeat itself in China, Equatorial Africa, Mexico, New Guinea and the Andes.

One of the most profound inventions in human history was developed by women.
>>
>>426655
>inventions
Wouldn't discovery be more apt?

Also wouldn't that mean that animal domestication was solely developed by men?
>>
>>426655
>developed by women

>Implying this isn't just pure conjecture, certainly possible though
>>
>>426655
>One of the most profound inventions in human history was developed by women.

So? Men wound up doing the majority of the farming once it became an intensive, rather than supplementary, way of obtaining food.
>>
>>426688
>Men wound up doing the majority of the farming once it became an intensive
>intensive
Is that supposed to make it sound hard? Women worked fields as much as men. In some cooky backwoods farmsted that would bring a tear to Thomas Jefferson's eye a lot of the harder manual labor would have been handeled by the husband, but just as often historically the man would have been off fighting some war or doing some business elsewhere leaving the wife to do all the work.
>>
Before 10,000BCE or so humanity was a species of hunters and gatherers. As a rule men did the bulk of the hunting of animals and women did the bulk of the gathering of plants and similar. But at the date previously mentioned things began to change in what's now in Iraq ( The ancient garden mentioned in The Genesis book.)
Basically Adam and Eve were sons of The Creator and had knowledge unlike The humans who were not made directely made by The Creator but evolved from different animals over time were deprived of knowledge and were nomadic.
So when the sons of the Creator had leaved the garden they met the pre existing humans that come from animals, so in turn they mixed with the humans which were proto tribal nomadic people and teached them how to perform agriculture, so in turn the sons of the creator teached nomads how to civilization.
>>
>>426714
You wut
>>
>>426714
:^)
>>
>>426688
Women did a lot of farm labour though.
>>
>>426655
Invented by women, perfected by men.

Just like in everything else.
>>
>>426688
No, once farming became intensive pretty much everyone became involved in agriculture. Man, Woman, Elder and Child. Only those who had specialized skills could avoid it.
>>
>>426762
Invented by men, perfected by men.*

Just like everything else.
>>
>>426655
You do realise that most protein came from small animal hunting by women?

Men were basically just playing video games between sex and eating. FULLY MANLY PRIMITIVE COMMUNISM.
>>
>>426733
You'd be amazed the crackpot theories people come up with.
>>
>>426655
It could also be that game became scarce, they couldnt move into hostile terriorties and they HAD to resort to farming.

It could be a million different factors, elminating all those to adhere to some agenda as this seems is very disingenuous
>>
The cultivation of cereals would eventually lead to the lowering of women's status in society as can be seen in modern day hunter gatherers who have recently begun to shift to an agrarian lifestyle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C7%83Kung_people#Recent_history
>>
>>426655
>technology matters because I am a hedonist like women.
>>
>>426655
Good for them?
>>
>>426655
>being biased in favor of women
actually the truth is pastoralism precedes agriculture, so obviously at some point hunters started managing the wild goats they were hunting and later domesticating them, this in turn led to sedentary populations, the need to clear land for pasture and the predominance of grasses like wheat, but you don't care about the truth do you
>>
>>427191
>most protein came from small animal hunting

prove it

>by women

you have no evidence
>>
>>428975
Exactly the same epistemological grounding as OP. Hooray!

Is it concievable?
>>
>>426655
nice story
ANY evidence to back this up?
Didn't think so

>Next!
>>
>>428976
>Is it conceivable

you know the answer to that
>>
It was men that invented irrigation systems though. Without that, agriculture would just be horticulture.
>>
>>428992
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_division_of_labour#Hypotheses_for_the_evolutionary_origins_of_SDL
https://prezi.com/pby6dvpb5kyq/hunter-gatherer-gender-roles-by-rebecca-baruch/
>>
>>429551
Go read Engels for fucksake
>>
That's stupid. Agriculture was developed in the Levant and Southern Anatolia (not Iraq) by cultures which had long since settled down to cultivate the abundant supply of wild cereal that grew there, and they even developed a fairly complex culture with megalithic architecture. Wild cereals were the most important food source among these people (though hunting was still important) and there's no reason to think that both men and women wouldn't have gathered it. Agriculture arose as populations rose and this cultivation intensified. It wasn't the product of any individual or group but was a slow process that emerged from the way the entire society interacted with their environment. It wasn't "invented" any more than hunting was.
>>
>>429579
>Agriculture
>settled down to cultivate

You have problems
>>
>>429599
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
I was under the impression that a temporary cold period, the Younger Dryas, forced humans into intensive agriculture.
>>
>Iraq
bullshit, first recorded use of grains was in Abu Heyurara in south-eastern Anatolia or Levant

very close to Göbekli Tepe, which was a pre-agricultural megalith site
which I think is no coincidence
Sumerians later claim to receive argriculture from the gods
maybe the gods were worshipped at gobekli tepe, and then they moved south to farm the lands between tigris and euphrates.
>>
^me

>>429579
sorry, didn't see your post
>>
>muh caveman feminist utopia
>muh caveman 1950s patriarchy

Just stop.
>>
>>429826
Nobody said anything of the sort.
>>
>>426655
Women are goddesses.
>>
>>429605
and you'd be somewhat right. It definetly made for a strong push towards a more reliable food source. I'm pulling this out of the cobwebs in my head right now, If you want, or I'm wrong, I can go pull out my notes form earlier this year from my Archaeology classes.
>>
>>426714
>Sons of God married the daughters of Men.
That actually makes sense.
>>
>>426655
Actually the weaker men and men with poor vision often stayed to help cultivate, I think its pretty dumb to take the whole hunter gatherer thing 100% as men did one women did the other, as well as this women often hunted small game which was a main source of protein in nomadic diets. As well as this since it was discovered multiple times seperately it is unlikely that is was women everytime. Since there were more male hunters and female gatheres than but still a large cross over I'd bet it was fairly 50/50 maybe leaning a bit to women.
>>
>>426688
>Farmers
>Not having fucking everybody work the field
Sounds like somebody wants to starve.
>>
>>428975
Not him but you can get protein from modern wheat 12-15.5%. Lower yields typically improve protein percentages.
>>
WE WUZ CROPS N SHIT SISTA
>>
>>426655
Stopped reading there
>>
>>426688
>Men wound up doing the majority of the farming once it became an intensive, rather than supplementary, way of obtaining food.
No, then either everyone does it, pretty much all of the time.

And there are/were societies were women did farm work while men were out hunting or fishing.
>>
ITT

>are girls gross?
>Yes!
>maybe
>fuck you!
>>
>>429579
this
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.