[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone who was not a king or emperor every claimed to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: 1443374944138.jpg (264 KB, 640x1238) Image search: [Google]
1443374944138.jpg
264 KB, 640x1238
Has anyone who was not a king or emperor every claimed to be a god or an incarnation of a god, besides Jesus?
Have any of them had a significant following?
>>
File: 1437132233281.jpg (90 KB, 701x728) Image search: [Google]
1437132233281.jpg
90 KB, 701x728
>Has anyone claimed to be a god or an incarnation of a god
Thousands
>>
>>426117
I'm sure thousands of crazy people have. But in any other significant religion has someone claimed to be a god?
>>
File: pharaoh.jpg (37 KB, 401x500) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh.jpg
37 KB, 401x500
WE WUZ GODS AND SHIT
>>
File: Dalai.jpg (999 KB, 1084x1280) Image search: [Google]
Dalai.jpg
999 KB, 1084x1280
>>
>>426127
>>426106

Look up the Taiping Rebellion.
>>
>>426127
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God-king
>>
>>426131
He doesn't claim to be God though. He just claims to be the reincarnation of the Buddhist leader, right?
>>
>>426155
And the buddhist leader is buddha.
And buddha is a god.
>>
>>426155
He's the leader of all the Buddhists and is the reincarnation of Buddha, who is the equivalent of God in Budhism.
>>
>>426160
buddhists don't believe in a god
>>
>>426160
>>426164
I thought Buddha had reached Nirvana.
>>
>>426167
The Buddhists worship God like Christians do, if they have good Karma before death they'll go to Nirvana.
>>
>>426106
The only ones I can think of (and none of them claimed divinity) are Buddha (his 8 fold path is believed to end suffering), Socrates (Cynic, Platonic, and Stoic philosophy owe themselves to his revolutionary way of looking at wisdom) Muhammad (Muslims believe his Quran is the will of God).

But I feel like tye motivations to follow any of those three people (since there are obvious benefits to be taken from them) are much different than following a poor tekton worker from Bethlehem and trusting that he's telling the truth, and then dying because you are willing to defend him.
>>
>>426168
Buddha created the world and also made Nirvana.
>>
>>426175
Socrates and Buddha never claimed to be Gods.
>>
>>426175
Muhammad was a prophet, not a god or a form of god
>>
>>426160
Buddhism can exist whether or not Buddha actually existed. There is a set of teachings and texts and that's all you have to go by.

There is no such thing as a "Christianist" and that's because Christian (and Jewish) religious expression is explicitly linked to historic events. If there came conclusive proof tomorrow that the bones of Jesus were discovered (meaning he didn't resurrect), the whole Christian religion would be false. He said "I am the truth" rather than "here is the truth."
>>
>>426181
>>426182
Did you guys even read my post?

>The only ones I can think of (and none of them claimed divinity)
>>
>>426106
Jesus never considered himself a god or an incarnation of god.
>>
>>426235

>I and the Father are one.

Yes, he clearly didn't.
>>
>>426235
Modernist heresy

Go back to counting how many times the phrase son of man appears in Luke
>>
>>426245
In John, yes. But more importantly, not in the earlier synoptic gospels.
>>
>>426235
>before Abraham was, I AM

Boom
>>
File: 0ungern2my.jpg (39 KB, 512x338) Image search: [Google]
0ungern2my.jpg
39 KB, 512x338
>>
>>426164
>reincarnation of Buddha
>reincarnation of [guy who is liberated from reincarnation]

Nice one, m8.
>>
File: Hong_Xiuquan.jpg (75 KB, 349x396) Image search: [Google]
Hong_Xiuquan.jpg
75 KB, 349x396
>>426106
>Hey guys, I am Jesus' Brother.
>Let us live in peace and brotherly love.
>By the way, he told me to destroy Manchus.
>2nd most destructive Chinese civil war.
>>
Well, there's this guy on youtube who thinks he's god, for starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9SVo87XAU
>>
>>426412

This is excellent. This is what I imagine every messiah figure acted like. Just a dumb guy spouting nonsense, with the exception that some idiots actually believe what this guy says.

He should be made an actual prophet. Why hasn't this guy written his own Bible yet? I'd buy it
>>
>>426412

Don't forget this guy, who tried to sue a prison on the basis of "I am God, and therefore keeping me in prison violates the first amendment".

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp2/140/748/2389864/

>Because, as the Court noted above, plaintiff has no constitutional right to be acknowledged as a deity, the claim is insubstantial and its underpinnings are implausible.

Based judge Lawson.
>>
>>426368
The Buddha was just the 8th reincarnation of that thingy. I forget hard words.
>>
Hong Xiquan in the 19th century China claimed to be Jesus's brother and son of God.
He started the Taiping Rebellion with his cult that caused the death of around 20 million people.
>>
>>426106
Zarathustra.

Though even he was of far higher status than Jesus Christ.
>>
>>426106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

Yes OP.
>>
File: 1447900227911.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1447900227911.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>426160
>Buddha is a god

Also the Dalai Lama is the purported reincarnation of an important Tibetan Buddhist figure but not Buddha himself you retard
>>
>>426245
He meant "one" in a spirtual sense. Like "I am one with the world". Jesus was a spirtual leader, the idea that he thought he was God was made up by his followers who misunderstood his teachings.

>>426294
And this refers to the eteranity of the soul. Jesus is saying his soul, and by extension of everyone else's predates the physical birth of Abraham
>>
>>426731

>Not knowing the Buddha is an Avatar of Vishnu.
>>
>>426106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_been_considered_deities (the section "self-deification")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_messiah_claimants
>>
>>426763
stop triggering the buddhists you evil brahmin
>>
>>426173
Dumbass. Go back to second grade.
>>
>>426761
You have no idea what the words I AM mean then. Like you lack fucking theological fundamentals m8.
>>
>>426106
Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, Gaudiya-Vaishnavas number in the millions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitanya_Mahaprabhu
>>
>>426995
>Only reference to Jesus claiming to be god is in John
>>
>>426587
Vishnu?
>>
File: Ehrman_0.jpg (43 KB, 948x1422) Image search: [Google]
Ehrman_0.jpg
43 KB, 948x1422
Jesus didn't claim to be a god though.
>MUH JOHN
John was writing in the late first century, 60 years after Jesus death, when idea of Jesus divinity established itself among his followers. There is nothing about Jesus claiming to be god in (authentical) Paul or the other NT.
>>
>>426274
>what is Mark 14:62
>>
>>430410
Colossians 2:9?
>>
>>430528
Oh, and Matthew 16 also, where Peter says Jesus is the Son of God, and he confirms it.
>>
>>426155
he is an earthly manifestation the bodhisattva avalokiteshvara. a boddhisatva is not a "god" per se, it's treated more like a catholic saint, but with more divinity. so i would consider H.H. a god-king
>>
>>430528
Not authentic, "all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form" =/= Jesus is god. And in any way, this is Paul claiming Jesus was divine in some sense or another, not Jesus proclaiming it.
>>430535
Son of God =/= god, not in Jewish nor in Pagan traditions. David was a son Of god, whole nation of Israel was called "son of god", Heracles was a son of god, etc.

Like, the best argument against Jesus claiming to be a God is total lack of any such idea in synoptic gospels. Like, this is the most important part of Christianity, and yet authors of the first 3 Gospels somehow failed to write about it. Or, according to you, wrote once in some cryptic way.
>>
>>426176
nigga you got the pure land sect and real buddhism mixed up. Yeah the pure lands believe repeating the names of an amitaba buddha and praying to him can get them reborn in the "pure land" which is essentially heaven. they view that there is no way to reach enlightenment in any of the five realms of birth so they hope that by works and faith that if they have good enough karma they can be reborn in the pure land that amitaba created and from their they will meditate and practice with the saints and buddhas and reach total enlightenment. it should be noted that this form of buddhism is pretty fucking close to christianity and it is not representitive of other forms of buddhism.

Most buddhists do not worship budda. Not because he doesn't deserve it, but because he's dead. really dead. as true dead as you can get. once you reach nirvana you don't reincarnate anymore, you're out of samsara. so worshipping him is less than useless. Now many mahayana buddhist venerate(and potentially worship) bodhisattvas which or like deity saints. they are buddhas who have achieved enlightenment but hold off from entering nirvana until they can free all beings. These people are godly but they are not gods in the abrahamic sense. and worshipping them in the abrahamic sense is usually frowned upon. Tibetan schools are different because their boddhisattvas are appropriated bön gods and they very much do treat them as a full blown polytheistic patheon even though they don't really exist, nothing exist, everything is empty, form is emptiness emptiness is form. Om mani padme hum
>>
>>430582
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. -John 5:18

And Philippians 2:
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. -Matthew 12:28

Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven. -Matthew 26:64
Here, again, claiming being equal with God. Your argument isn't the best, again, because it forces you to ignore evidence.
>>
>>426175
No one has ever been able to refute or top the claims of the Quran.

Believe me, it was tried countless times when Muhammad was alive, never mind now.
>>
>>426152
>Has anyone who was not a king or emperor
>>
>>430697
I'm not arguing about John, he clearly thought though Jesus was a god. Yet he is the latest and the least reliable Gospel, and there is nothing to support him in the earlies ones.

>Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
>But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
>And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
>Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name
This is clearly Jesus being some entity independent from god. I mean, God exalted him after his death on the cross, this makes no sense if Jesus was a god to begin with. Again, "In form of God", not God. Most probably Paul thought Jesus was some kind of angel, it would be natural for Judaic world view at the time. But again, this is not Jesus claiming to be god, this is someone calling him divine.

>But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you
So did other prophets before Jesus, nothing interesting here.

>Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven
"Son of man" is an image from Daniel. First of all, it's not entirely obvious Jesus talking about himself here - he never said he is "the son of man", just like Daniel, he may be referring to someone else. Second, son of man, while divine figure, clearly not God, but some angelic being sent to clean the world up.
>>
>>430730
http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/stjohn_islam.aspx
>>
>>426706
Pretty sure he never claimed to be a God, though he has indeed a very special super natural role in zoroastrian cosmovision and eschatology.
>>
>>426995
>Moses of Crete, who in about 440–470 persuaded the Jews of Crete to walk into the sea, as Moses had done, to return to Israel. The results were disastrous and he soon disappeared.
kek
>>
>>430764
>jehovah's witnesses
Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe: -Luke 22:67
>>
>>430798
> Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe
"The Christ" aka Messiah isn't a divine being in any way, he's some expected great Jewish leader. Cyrus The Great is called Messiah/Christ in OT, because he freed Jews from Babylon. According to Judaic popular believes in 1st century AC, Messiah will be a powerful king who will free nation of Israel from foreigners. Just check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Messiah_claimants .
>>
>>430764
The biggest thing you have to realize is that, by only referring to what Jesus says, you cut out other reliable testimony, which Jesus himself approves of.

Referring to himself as the son of man:
And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto that man by whom he is betrayed! -Luke 22:22

But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss? -Luke 22:48

On the Son of man:
And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. -Daniel 7:14

>Jesus is just an angel
Reread Hebrews chapter one. Just a snip for you, though:
But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? -Hebrews 1:13

>Jesus is just a prophet
He said otherwise.
But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet. -Matthew 11:9
>>
>>430765
This is so full of unsubstantiated claims and insults that I don't know where to start. It's on the same level of the Quraishis when they scrambled to prevent rational arguments from overtaking their vain desires, cultural ignorance, and belief that God can die.

During his life the Quran wasn't even in book form, never mind the circulation required for him to receive a copy, yet he calls it "a book". A Syriac speaker should now that "Al-Quran" should roughly translate to "The Recitations".
>>
>>430810
The reasoning behind that verse is that no matter what the Bible says, you won't believe it.
>>
>>430815
>Referring to himself as the son of man
Ok, Jesus identified himself with Daniel's son of man.

>And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed
This is not him being a god though, this is clearly some down-to-earth idea of kingdom to come, ruled by Son of Man, not Son of Man being identical to eternal creator of everything aka god.

>>Jesus is just an angel
Not what I said, I said it's possible Paul considered him some kind of angelic being, who went to earth in form of Jesus and then was exalted for his obedience to God.

>>Jesus is just a prophet
Not was I said, I said there is nothing special about healing people in the name of God, prophets did it.

>But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet
So super prophet? Son of men destined to rule the earth? Angelic being? There are lots of alternatives and each looks more probable than him being actual God.

>>430825
Oh, so this is just like ending discussion with "Tips fedora" meme.
>>
>>430858
Jesus said that he is greater than a prophet. What's greater? An angel. Also, he claims to be greater than an angel. What's greater? A god. But, he also says "I and my Father are one" and "No one knows the Father but the Son."
I'm also just pointing out how you aren't really bringing evidence, much less quotes from the Bible, and continue taking the back door out.
Are you a jehovah's witness or something?
>>
>>426392
>that fucking guy
Why is Chinese history so weird?
>>
>>430879
>Jesus said that he is greater than a prophet. What's greater? An angel. Also, he claims to be greater than an angel. What's greater?
Concept of Son of Man as God's second in command to rule the earth in kingodm to come, which developed in Judaism in by first century AD.
>But, he also says "I and my Father are one" and "No one knows the Father but the Son."
I'm not arguing about John.
>I'm also just pointing out how you aren't really bringing evidence
Evidence of what? I have no strong believe about what Jesus claimed to be, but I'm sure he didn't claim to be a god. I have no positive point to prove, so no evidence to bring. Well, maybe except the obvious point about suspicious lack of
>Hey, this is very important - I'm the God. Got it? I repeat - I'm a part of the Trinity, which is God. Don't forget it, this is the most important thing about my message.
anywhere in the synoptic Gospels and authentic epistles.
>Are you a jehovah's witness or something?
I wonder, why do you need to label me? Is it so you can dismiss my arguments without considering them?
>>
File: sabbatai_zevi.jpg (13 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
sabbatai_zevi.jpg
13 KB, 150x200
>>426106
kinda
>>
>>430919
All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him. -Luke 10:22

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: -Matthew 28:19

The verses I keep sending say otherwise.
>why jehovah's witness?
Because they're most known for ignoring Bible verses and use language just like you, saying whether Jesus is or isn't "a god."
>>
>>430919
Acts 5:
But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Also notice how the Holy Ghost and God are used interchangeably.
>>
>>430941
>All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him
So? He calls himself Son of God and claims exclusive access to the God, yet he isn't calling himself God in any sense.

>Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Not claiming to be God though. Also this is after supposed Resurrection.

>The verses I keep sending say otherwise.
I still don't see any "Hey guys I'm the God".

>>430964
I'm not arguing about Holy Ghost being god. The question is, did Jesus claimed to be God? All I see him claiming some special status, that's all.
>>
>>431037
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. -Revelation 1:8

And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. -Revelation 4:8
>>
>>431280
I'm not arguing about this John too, for the same reasons. In any case, Revelation isn't a (somewhat) historical document, unlike Gospels.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.