[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are souls?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: soul-ages.png (484 KB, 556x410) Image search: [Google]
soul-ages.png
484 KB, 556x410
What are souls?
>>
babby don't hurt me
>>
>>424711
Certainly not what that picture seems to suggest, I'll tell you that.

Not all parts of a man can be seen and touched by other human beings. For instance, your mind cannot be seen or touched. The thoughts you think, that float around inside your head, cannot be touched by another human being in the same form they are to you. You can communicate those thoughts, but the thoughts they get from hearing this communication are their thoughts, and are not the same as the thought you attempted to communicate.

In the same way, a man's spirit is another part of himself that cannot be seen or touched. It is a part that stretches out from the part of space and time that we can perceive. It is the part that reaches up into the Divine, the Eternal. It is the part of you through which the Creator communicates. It also can touch the spirits of others. Like a muscle, it can be strengthened with use, although in most people today it is atrophied. To learn how to use it, you must quiet all other areas of your body and try. Just pray and pray and pray, and you will eventually learn how to use this part of you.
>>
>>424767

I just crank my spirit up to maximum power while I'm sitting on the toilet. I'm not sure what you are making so much fuss about, it isn't that hard.
>>
>>424711
don't know, the only tangible evidence for sapience/souls/spirit/onsciousness or whatever is your own

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness
>>
>>424711
>>424711
what happens when we reach the brain-computer singularity? when we can upload our minds to a machine? does the soul follow onto the machine? is the machine a human? is the machine conscious? or just a program, deciphering information and simulating a human mind. is the human mind just deciphering information and just a complex program? a human computer?
sorry. I guess I should probably make my own thread....
>>
I always thought of the soul as a way to personify the metaphysical aspects of your perceived individuality. It's your personality, your perspective - it's everything you are. It is the pilot driving the vessel that is your body. It is the infinitesimal fragment of god that encapsulates the essence of your being.
>>
>>424798
kek
>>
>>424767
I have no reason to suppose such a thing exists.
>>
>>424836
you also have no reason to believe such a thing doesnt exist. whence the debate and the "hard problem of conciousness"
>>
>>424839

I have no reason to assume a hard problem of conciousness exists, the evidence for it seems pretty flakey.
>>
>>424839
There is a reason to not believe. There is simply so evidence. Souls are pure supposition. Especially the way they are usually posited. 'We don't know' is an infinitely better response.
>>
>>424847
>the evidence for it seems pretty flakey
Not him but the evidence is subjective experience itself. You can call it an illusion but we still don't know how it comes about.
>>
>>424711
>What are souls?
The living other which emerges, separating from our universe and knowing.
>>
Energy
>>
>>424939

I don't see why that would even be a problem. We are self aware beings, why wouldn't we be aware of sensory input and some of out processes (thoughts), that's all it is.
>>
>>424711
Hypothetical type of the substance. Near mix waves and energy, like sounds, radio, infrared waves and etc.
>>
>>424711
Each human is a spoopy ghost living in a meat cottage.
>>
>>424725
underrated
>>
File: 1434330285253.png (110 KB, 381x448) Image search: [Google]
1434330285253.png
110 KB, 381x448
A spook
>>
>>424711
Why is a seal trying to drown that horse?

Anyway...

Souls are like dark matter. In physics, dark matter is the label given to the unaccounted for mass in the universe not visible in the EM spectrum. It doesn't answer what dark matter actually is.

Similarly the soul is not really an answer, but a label we give the problem of consciousness. We know our bodies are physical. We know the brain is physical. How come our minds appear to be intangible, yet somehow causally connected to our brains (e.g. a brain injury can change someone's personality)?
>>
>>424711
They are both playthings and currency in the warp.
>>
They are a misunderstanding. There is no reason to believe that there is more than one spirit.
>>
Some imagined and ridiculously over simplified abstraction humans used to explain the obvious differences they saw between themselves inanimate matter and most other animals.
>>
>>426969
not only ridiculously over simplified in some ways, but needlessly expanded upon in other ways - the idea of the soul outliving the body's death for example.
>>
>>426929
fucking eliphas
>>
>>424711
imaginary
>>
>>427003
Yes.
>>
>>424711
I think the more important question is, is our soul an actual thing? Does it eventually exist, even if our body dies?
Or perhaps it is just a higher form of conciousness humans developed during their evolution? Are we really just automatons, a bunch of molecules mistakenly assembled and perfected during an inapprehensibly vast amount of time?
When we die, are just gonna cease to exist? Like the time we did before we were born?
>>
The question is whether or not having a soul matters or not. Answer is: It doesn't.
>>
Likening your consciousness to a soul is about as valid as subscribing the elements to the will of a higher power. We created the construct of a soul to explain basic truths of the human experience which we understand on some level, but don't quite know how to explain in a logical, objective sense.

Basically like any other myth. It's an explanation for something that we can't explain yet.
>>
Something untermensch cling onto pathetically. True ubermenchs must discard the souls abd form a new one free from the inferior folks influence and mind numbing inanity.
>>
File: 1446528847527.jpg (168 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
1446528847527.jpg
168 KB, 375x500
>>426766
What? consciousness is not causal, there is zero evidence to that. The brain injury is causal to both behavior and consciousness changes, it doesn't matter if it happens when you can consciously perceive it or if you get stabbed in the head while you sleep. The soul is simply a pattern of brain activation through a set amount of time, something that can be replicated through computer based simulation, ghost in the shell is real.
>>
>>426929
tzeentch pls go
>>
>>424711

singular manifestations of the divine will

daily reminder that matter/energy is metaphysically secondary to and derived from consciousness
>>
So many autists itt
>>
File: 1422398282376.png (58 KB, 636x674) Image search: [Google]
1422398282376.png
58 KB, 636x674
A spook.
A musing in terms of practicality.
Who cares?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aky0JifONLU
>>
>>424711
Non-existent
>>
Your experiences in your brain, chemicals in your brain and your nervous system.

Hence why people often change "who they are" after major brain injuries.
>>
>>424711
A concept.
>>
>>427302
But what's the fun in that?
I like trying to understand the universe.
>>
Seems like a spontaneous generation-tier explanation for natural phenomena to be honest. I think it's bullshit but there's no way to falsify it right now.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.