[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was having a discussion with a friend and the topic of spears
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8
File: armour 6.jpg (131 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
armour 6.jpg
131 KB, 640x480
So I was having a discussion with a friend and the topic of spears in medieval warfare came up.

My question is this: did plate armoured soldiers (knights/men at arms/ect) commonly utilize generic spears on foot? I almost always see them depicted either on horseback or using some other form of pole arm. Where there many who fought with shield+spear or just spear?

I am specifically interested in the 14th century, but answers for other time periods are also nice.
>>
Why have a spear when you can have a halberd which combines three weapons into one?
>>
>>424165

Where are you drawing the line between "spears" on one hand and "pikes" on the other?

Because pikes were fuck ass common.

As for the other question, about the shields? Once you had plate armor, shields almost disappeared. Two major reasons for that:

1) If you have plate, chances are, the guys you're fighting also have plate. You're going to need a weapon that can get through that shit, which usually means 2 handed to generate enough power.

2) Less marginal protection. If you're in plate, you're only really worried about weapons that can get through plate. Anything that can get through plate is also going to get through a wooden board, unless it's so thick and heavy that your arm will fall off trying to use it.
>>
>>424165
Pretty sure plate armor hadn't developed to the full one we know in 14th century yet. Also it was expensive as hell, naturally, so not every footman (if any at all) could use it.
>>
Pic related is medieval warfare. You're thinking of early modern/Renaissance warfare.
>>
File: billboys.jpg (244 KB, 1280x926) Image search: [Google]
billboys.jpg
244 KB, 1280x926
>>424165

Why settle for something with limited functionality like a spear if you can afford to have expensive armor in the first place.

And everything >>424180 said is true, if you and your opponents are wearing plate armor, then some 7ft long pointed stick held in one hand is a colossal waste. You need a much much longer pointed stick or something which can otherwise deliver more damage.
>>
File: Polearms.jpg (50 KB, 589x415) Image search: [Google]
Polearms.jpg
50 KB, 589x415
Polearms != Spears

Heavy Billmen
>>
>>424165
yes, spears are purpose built for reach and fill a crucial role

http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/fiore/omsg_lanza.pdf

>pikes
pikes are meant to be used in formation with other pikes, if formations are broken then the spear takes the stage as the most practical weapon with the best reach

>polearms
they are slightly heavier and have slightly less reach, they come in all different shapes and sizes and some inhabit the grey area between polearms and spears, after plate armor became widespread, polearms also became popular, replacing swords and shields or spears and shields as the most widespread choice
>>
File: pole arms development.jpg (130 KB, 773x960) Image search: [Google]
pole arms development.jpg
130 KB, 773x960
>>
File: fighting with a sword pommel.png (551 KB, 560x411) Image search: [Google]
fighting with a sword pommel.png
551 KB, 560x411
>>424165
The thing about having plate armor back then meant you had significant funds at your disposal. Spears and pikes were so common because they were so cheap. Axes were another common weapon, but not nearly as plentiful as spears were in combat.
If you had plate armor, that meant you had a lot of money. Why settle for a plain, cheap spear? Polearms were a good choice for an armored knight because they were versatile. Of course there was the sword too. That weapon, despite being shown so much in every medieval movie ever made, belonged to the most affluent people on the battlefield.
Daggers would be in some footsoldiers' arsenals, but they were not to the quality of the swords being wielded by nobility. They almost appeared magical to the common man.

TL;DR - spears were in the hands of poor men, while armor and swords were in the control of nobility
>>
File: 1475 - Swiss Pikemen.jpg (68 KB, 691x792) Image search: [Google]
1475 - Swiss Pikemen.jpg
68 KB, 691x792
>>424811
Some equal spears... a pike is not the same length as a poleax
>>
File: 1430 - Assault Infantry.jpg (89 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1430 - Assault Infantry.jpg
89 KB, 600x600
>>424811
>>426869
As seen here with this soldier's glaive length
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.