[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Julius Caesar reported (in De Bello Gallico) that the Britanni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: braveheart.jpg (57 KB, 403x335) Image search: [Google]
braveheart.jpg
57 KB, 403x335
>Julius Caesar reported (in De Bello Gallico) that the Britanni used to colour their bodies blue with vitrum, a word that roughly translates to "glass". Many have assumed that vitrum refers to woad, but other modern authors regard this as a misconception, possibly repeated for political reasons; Caesar may have been describing some form of copper- or iron-based pigment.[8][9][unreliable source?] The northern inhabitants of Britain came to be known as Picts (Picti), meaning "painted ones" in Latin, which was due to accounts of them painting or tattooing their bodies. However, modern experiments with woad show it does not work as a tattoo pigment, is caustic and causes scarring when put into the skin.[8][9]

So Battle-Smurfs never existed?
>>
Copper would be green, wouldn't it?
Also, for all we know they had some mixture that counteracted the skin irritation.
>>
>>423629
green and blue can be quite problematic colours. People often mix them up and many cultures don't distinguish between them, we obviously don't know much about the picts but in Irish, green and blue usually weren't distinguished until medieval times. Also the same word "glas" means green in Irish and blue in welsh
>>
The construction of Stonehenge has been attributed to giants who sailed from Africa bringing their skills with them. The presence of giants may not necessarily be a figment of the imagination. Giants have been mentioned in the Bible. They was a Black Canaanite race called Anakim.

The Roman historian, Tacitus, mentioned "the dark complexion and unusually curly hair" of the Silures, or Black Celts who he believed migrated there from Spain. When Julius Caesar invaded Britain he met these Blacks. Julius Caesar's army was itself composed of prominent Blacks. In fact Blacks have served as Roman emperors on a number of occasions.

The Scots are themselves of Black origin. Ireland was once known as Scotia Magna and Scotland was called Caledonia until about the third century A.D. when a tribe invaded Caledonia and the name was changed to Scotia. The Irish are said to have derived the name Scotia from the daughter of an Egyptian Pharaoh named Scota.
>>
>>423652
What does that have to do with Celtic war paint?
>>
>>423648
>>423652
lel, coincidentally black people are called "gorm" in Irish, which means blue.
>>
>>423652
WE
>>
>>423677
ARE
FAMILY

I GOT ALL MY SISTERS WITH ME
>>
>>423532
They painted their skin with woad and tattooed it with something else. Why is this so difficult to understand?
>>
>>423648
>People often mix them up and many cultures don't distinguish between them
Cultures didn't have different words for the color of grass/plants and the color of the sky?

That seems weird.
>>
>>424036
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinction_of_blue_and_green_in_various_languages
>>
>>423972
Fucking this.
>>
>>423869
This needs to be a thing.
>>
>>423652
Seriously? There were also numerous claims of dragons amongst various cultures. Doesn't mean jack shit.
>>
File: CobbledRoads.jpg (71 KB, 634x460) Image search: [Google]
CobbledRoads.jpg
71 KB, 634x460
>>423532
Ancient Britons traded with North Africa before the Romans came, they were also developing a Proto-Train system for wagons.

Britons used advanced geometry to build their own COBBLED roads before the Romans came.

pic related
>>
>>423652
>They was a Black Canaanite race called Anakim.
Retard. North Africans were not Negores.
>>
>>423670

No they are not.
>>
>>423670
>>424360

Dubh = Black
>>
>>424349
Recent DNA evidence supports the idea that North African populations were the result of African men intermarrying with Eurasian women. Voltaire in his novel Candide gives us an idea of how this may have happened--Slavery:

>In our passage wewere boarded by a Sallee rover. Our men defended themselves like true
Pope’s soldiers; they flung themselves upon their knees, laid downtheir arms, and begged the corsair to give them absolution in articulo
mortis.

>“I need not tell you how great a hardship it was for a young princess and her mother to be made slaves and carried to Morocco.You may easily imagine what we must have suffered on board a corsair. My mother was still extremely handsome, our maids of honor, and even our common waiting–women, had more charms than were to be found in all Africa.

>“As to myself, I was enchanting; I was beauty itself, and then I had my virginity. But, alas! I did not retain it long; this precious flower,which had been reserved for the lovely Prince of Massa Carrara, was cropped by the captain of the Moorish vessel, who was a hideous Negro, and thought he did me infinite honor. Indeed, both the Princess of Palestrina and myself must have had very strong constitutions to undergo all the hardships and violences we suffered before our arrival at Morocco.
>>
>>424375
>Voltaire
Okay, you're a retard. We have ancient DNA of North Africans that show blue eyes and brown eyes, they were Caucasians, the Egyptians often described Libyans as being fair with Blue eyes.

Also Carthaginians were colonists.
>>
>>424389
Greek--Roman commentators are clear about the ethnicity of indigenous North Africans.

>And the Moors of that place held also the land to the west of Aurasium, a tract both extensive and fertile. And beyond these dwelt other nations of the Moors, who were ruled by Ortaïas, who had come, as was stated above, as an ally to Solomon and the Romans. And I have heard this man say that beyond the country which he ruled there was no habitation of men, but desert land extending to a great distance, and that beyond that there are men, not black-skinned like the Moors,
-Procopius. History of the Wars, Books III and IV / The Vandalic War.

>not black-skinned like the Moors
>>
>>423532
Braveheart was so historically inaccurate that a disney movie looks well researched by comparison. Only the scene with Wallace being executed in London was authentic
>>
>>423629
Nah copper would be blue, Humans (and alot of other animals) have red blood thanks to iron. Horseshoe crabs have blue blood thanks to copper in their blood.
>>
File: blooper43-1[1].jpg (189 KB, 1410x660) Image search: [Google]
blooper43-1[1].jpg
189 KB, 1410x660
>>424551
a great movie nonetheless which proves mel gibson isn't only everyone's favorite anti-semit but also a great actor capable of directing pretty neat movies
>>
File: NumidianCoins.png (145 KB, 463x500) Image search: [Google]
NumidianCoins.png
145 KB, 463x500
>>424548
>Procopius
500AD, the ancient DNA was from BC and the Egyptians described them 1500 years before Procopius.

The British have coins from Numidia and Carthage all over Britain before Roman times which show Numidians as Caucasoid people, just as they are today.

pic related
>>
>>423652
WE WUZ KINGS N SHIIEET
>>
File: Keksimus.jpg (72 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
Keksimus.jpg
72 KB, 596x628
>>423652
>This post
>Mfw

Barbarians say pretty funny shit these days.
>>
>>423652

>They was a Black Canaanite race called Anakim.

WE WUZ GIANTS N' SHEEIT
>>
>>424360
Yes they are you fucking spastic

Fear gorm=black man, gorm= blue.

If you call someone "dubh" it means they have black hair, and "duine dubh" is an old fashioned name for the devil.

Black people are called gorm.
>>
>>424551
>>424586
Yeah, it's a great movie. People who dislike movies for being historically inaccurate are so boring.

Unless it's deliberately manipulating facts to service an agenda, instead of telling a good story. See: Agora.
>>
>>423532
Guess, tribe warriors with make-up as monsters from fairy-tales. The Ice giants for example often colored in fairy-tales with show and azure colours.
>>
>>424925
>m'artistic license
It gives people an incorrect impression of an era and a stream of events. This is why we have people who think that Jean d'Arc and Boudicca were fucking feminists.
>>
>>424925
>Unless it's deliberately manipulating facts to service an agenda, instead of telling a good story

>implying Braveheart wasn't one long diatribe against England
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.