[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are actually "I played EU4 for 30 mins" Romanboo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446354536115.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1446354536115.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
>There are actually "I played EU4 for 30 mins" Romanboo redditors who ACTUALLY think the byzantine empire is the same thing as the Roman Empire.
>>
Frogposters....
>>
>move capital
>this somehow makes you a different state
>>
>>42271
By the 14tg Century the byzantine Empire spoke a different language, had different culture, different political structure and military technology and organization to the pre-split Roman Empire. It was a completely different, considerably smaller empire
>>
>>42262
>>42271
The Roman Empire was never a state in itself, this was thousands of years before the modern conception of a "state".

The Roman Empire was just the a small city-state that absorbed a large amount of land.

There was no single dynasty, like the Ottoman Empire, that made Rome Roman. There was no written constitution. Rome was Rome because the Emperor sat on a chair in Rome.

When you change the city, the city-state changes. That's all Rome had going for it.
>>
>>42328
>By the 20tg Century the British Empire spoke a different language, had different culture, different political structure and military technology and organization to the pre-Tudor Kingdom of England. It was a completely different, considerably larger empire

See the problem? It was a continuation of the same polity, even if the culture and language had shitfted.
>>
>>42328
The official language for that part of the empire was changed earlier than the 14th Century, just because people in that area mostly spoke Greek. This hardly means it was a different empire.
>>
>>42446
>There was no single dynasty
The Julio-Claudian Dynasty?
>>
>>44146
>five roman emperors out of like 50
>>
>>42179
The concept of Rome as a state with goals, virtues, and ideas died with the Republic.

The concept of Rome as a big area of land that any fucktard can claim if he jacks off his troops enough began with the Empire.
>>
>>45876
Blame Marius as well.
>>
>>42271

>"Roman Empire"
>does not control Rome
>>
>>42328
Lol the eastern part of the empire spoke greek before the western empire fell. There is absolutely no good reason to considers the byzantine empire anything else but the roman empire. They were a direct continuation, there was no break or disruption at all. "Byzantine" is a modern term invented by historians to distinguish the ancient roman era from the later phase.
>>
>>42179
>There are actually "I played EU4 for 3000 hours" frogposter autists who ACTUALLY think when the empire moved its capital and the western half eroded, the other half suddenly became a different state, even though they continued the same line of rulers, spoke the same language as before (since they had already been speeking greek long before), and the whole world, including themselves, called them the same thing as before.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.