[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone give me the lowdown on how Australia operated as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: colonies.jpg (115 KB, 887x267) Image search: [Google]
colonies.jpg
115 KB, 887x267
Can someone give me the lowdown on how Australia operated as a prison colony?
>>
>>42026
Between 1788 and 1815 NSW operated as a Tory spoils system with land being generously given to a squatocratic elite who wished to implement some kind of pre-1688 parish system of CoE feudalism. This was broken by a combination of aboriginal resistance, Home rule administration, navy meritocracy, and convict labour resistance. Significant here is import substitution production causing a small urban elite allied with the meritocracy and administration to turn on the squatocracy.

This then reconfigured into an agricultural capitalism based on land theft, export production, and urban import substitution production under British bureaucratic control.

The actual convict labour system worked on this basis:

The formal employer was the state, which retained the right to discipline, muster and church convicts. The state fed and clothed convicts and then sent them out to employers.
The immediate employer could get work, and in some cases illegally chastise (as in physically beat) convicts, but was generally prosecuted for such illegal beatings.
Convicts themselves resisted employment through informal go-slows, Irish "escape" revolts, and the Irish underground network of communication.
This led immediate employers to offer wages in addition to food and clothes, in money form, to get decent work out of convicts.

Part way through their sentences many convicts were given tickets of leave to act as free men and work for wages. This is because they performed better work.

The entire system was like it was due to labour shortage. There were some really appalling efforts to import female labour for domestic servants, marriage and "factory" meaning a concentrated handicraft production. These broke down because of female convict resistance and orphan importation was substituted to bring in females.

Questions?
>>
>>42200
>Questions?

How do you get such sweet sweet dubs?
>>
>>42200
So what, there were very few women in Aussieland at first? and they waited for imported orphans girls to grow up?
>>
>>44019
[s4s] guide my penis.

>>44104
>So what, there were very few women in Aussieland at first?
"mateship" is often code for what we now call homosexuality, either as a sexual relationship or as a relationship of loving trust.

>>44104
>and they waited for imported orphans girls to grow up?
No they didn't wait. This is orphans of all ages by the way. At the time the United Kingdom has a system of post-natal abortion for working class children based on starvation in private care. Sending young women overseas was cheap and easy, but they never sent enough to satisfy the demand for domestic child labour or sexual child labour until the 1840s/1850s.
>>
>>44204
damn that must have been a harsh life for all of those orphans. I'm sure there's a lot of literature about it, both historical and not
>>
>>44204
So it really was a hard knock life?
>>
>>44409
Yes. The colonies and then Australia applied the techniques used on British and Irish orphans to aboriginal peoples and torres strait islander people and also to British "Australians". Into the 1970s with "whites," still on-going with indigenous peoples.

There is currently a royal commission into institutional child abuse. It was basically legal to rape orphans into the 1980s.

>>44566
They ate more meat than the British did in the period and had consistently higher wages until the 1990s.
>>
>>44612
thats some pretty wild stuff. thanks for the lesson
>>
>>44612
>until the 1990s

John Howard still best PM I don't even care what they say
>>
>>44799
Well, you can think that, but under Keating and Howard the increases in rates of unemployment, rent and housing prices meant that the working class experienced a radical reduction in wages. If this is good or bad is a matter for >>>/pol/ , but it happened.
>>
>>44892
How exactly did Howard and Keating treat the Aborigines and the Stolen Generation?
I know Rudd had his Sorry Day but I never gathered much on Howard's policies and such as for them.
>>
>>45140
>25 years
Not willing to comment. As Zhao Enlai said, "Too soon to tell."
>>
>>45274
Shit, 25 years. I keep forgetting that's how much time has passed.

While I'm here. Thoughts on the Abbott/Turnball fiasco, any hopes for the new Liberal Party leader, better than the last, worse, or again, too soon to tell?
Like might more be a matter for /pol/ but.
>>
>>45435
>While I'm here. Thoughts on the Abbott/Turnball fiasco, any hopes for the new Liberal Party leader, better than the last, worse, or again, too soon to tell?

How much better than Ming was Harold Holt?

How much better than Hawke was Keating?

Ask questions earlier in Australian history.
>>
File: 220px-Ned_Kelly_in_1880.png (118 KB, 220x317) Image search: [Google]
220px-Ned_Kelly_in_1880.png
118 KB, 220x317
>>45501
Tell me of Ned Kelly. Only recently started really looking into him, his legacy.
>>
Step one: Take all the Dindu nuffin Irishmen
Step two: Send them to Botany bay and let them rot

The end
>>
>>45591
Ned Kelly was an Irish Catholic fuckwit incompetent. Because he shot cops he was lionised by the Australian proletariat. Also he had a very silly but grouse armour. Australians love losers, especially cocky cunts with balls.

Actual, effective, bushrangers were rare. But they generally managed a greater number of successful robberies than Ned's mob. Ie: 1 or more.
>>
>>45762
Kelly's legend definitely is 95% that, legend. I can easily see why he was buffed up, more so considering if he and his gang treated their hostages as well as they said he did.
>>
>>45953
Until CW Bean reinvented the ANZACs as nationalist proto-fascists, "larrikinism" was rejected by the Australian establishment as uncontrollable proletarian resistance. See the original "Pushes" which were violent street gangs of working class youth in the cities, 1870-1920.

The "rape of Cairo" and the 3 day long unprosecuted Sydney Beer Mutiny / Strike were unplayed by CW Bean in favour of the myth of "Lions led by donkeys." Bean also avoids the 1917/1918 strikes/mutinies.

Larrikinism only became popular as the protectionists won out against the freetraders in the bourgeoisie during the war, and Nationalism defeated Imperialism.
>>
>>45596
right the entire australian population is Irish
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.