[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any point to believing in a non-immanent God? Stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (346 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
346 KB, 1600x1200
Is there any point to believing in a non-immanent God?

Stuff like deism, pantheism, agnosticism and that kinda shit just seems like pussy-hole atheism.

Well?
>>
Agnosticism IS Atheism but without all the self-assured asshattery
>>
>>420254

Naturalistic pantheism basically is atheism but I can see the point in it from a philosophical point of view because the idea we are all connected and the entire universe is connected has some clear strengths from a moral reasoning point of view.
>>
>>420264

So pussy-hole atheism then.
>>
>>420272

Sounds like fun if you ask me, AND you get to make theists and atheists both mad. What more could you possibly ask for?
>>
>>420269

So what are your criteria for what is theistic and what isn't?
>>
>>420254
Have you ever considered the value to social binding of immediate rather than immanent partial gods rooted in blood if not human sacrifice? Really brings you together to eat someone's child.
>>
>>420254
>>420264
>>420269
you have no fucking clue what atheism even is
>>
>>420278
just take the step further and turn ignostic.
Then you can piss off atheists and theists even more! And be 100% right too!
>>
>>420297

Err, it's pretty self explanatory. A-theism: the standpoint that no deity exists.
>>
>>420278

Well trolling is fun, I do it all the time, but it is still trolling.

I'm agnostic because I am a 4chan troll is a bit of a weird position to take.

>>420297

Yawn.

>>420282

The belief in a divine, thinking, being.
>>
>>420309

Lack of belief in a deity would be the more broad band modern definition.
>>
>>420309
exactly, so how the fuck would any sort of theism, including pantheism even be similar to atheism?
>>
>>420323

Agnosticism isn't a theist standpoint, it's the standpoint of "I don't know for certain one way or another so I honestly dgaf". Also, pantheism is a great metaphorical way of looking at the universe: Everything is divine (awesome, in the original sense)
>>
>>420323

Naturalistic pantheism uses the word god in a way no theist would recognise, in fact they basically completely misuse the word god, as Schopenhauer noted about Spinoza.

Naturalistic pantheists aren't talking about the Universe being some thinking deity, they are just acting like stoned hippies (in a kind of cool way) and saying "woah dude the whole universe is one".
>>
>>420344
>Naturalistic pantheists aren't talking about the Universe being some thinking deity, they are just acting like stoned hippies (in a kind of cool way) and saying "woah dude the whole universe is one".

Carl Sagan for instance, it's a pretty cool way of looking at things instead of the dead machination that atheism tends to view things as
>>
>>420345

He didn't like the word atheist, but Sagan basically had the same viewpoint that agnostic atheists take. He preferred to use agnostic though.
>>
>>420300
Ignosticism is a good concept, and the only atheists who get butthurt at its use are pseudo-skeptics, or basically those who can't get over they had a religious upbringing, and despite escaping it... they still can't think outside the box.
>>
Pantheism at least the type Spinoza proposes has profound spiritual implications. I'm investigating spiritualism and I'm starting to conclude pantheism and pantheism can have equal or greater spiritual strength to more traditional ideas of God.

As more and more of the universe becomes explained by naturalism the naturalistic spiritualism because more and more beautiful while the Christian or Islamic type of deity becomes more and more spiritually useless.
>>
>>420438

It strikes me as a concept that basically suppoirts atheism, at least the soft atheism of lack of belief.

Who would believe in a god which is not properly defined in a meaningful way in the first place?
>>
>>420254
For me personally, deism was a nice transition into agnostic atheism. So it's purpose is really just lube for a more skeptical worldview.

If all the fedoracore atheists really wanted to squash religion, they'd try to convert people to deism first.
>>
Isn't pantheism God immanent though?
>>
>>420254

Deism pretty clearly says there's a God.

There's nothing atheistic about it.
>>
>>420318
You can't have a lack of something. Anti-things don't exist. [spoiler]If someone says antimatter I will fucking strangle your parents[/spoiler]

Atheism is belief that there is no gods/spirits.
This belief requires certain unfalisifiable assumptions to be made, just like theism. There is no lazy option you fuckers.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.