[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't see why people have a hard time accepting that a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 21
File: jesus.jpg (54 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
54 KB, 450x600
I don't see why people have a hard time accepting that a historical Jesus would most likely look like this rather than as some germanian or a sub-saharan African
>>
File: 136868346634.jpg (22 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
136868346634.jpg
22 KB, 480x600
>Jesus wasn't black
>>
>>417800
>sub-saharan African

Please leave
>>
File: 1448566216404.png (572 KB, 802x817) Image search: [Google]
1448566216404.png
572 KB, 802x817
>>417800
Historical accuracy scares Christians.

Take for example that fact that all historians can agree on is that Jesus was baptised and crucified.
>>
It's more that this guy looks like a retarded peasant.
>>
that CGI reconstruction is based on the average skull of people of Bethlehem in circa year 1. Most of its features are pure guesses and cannot be derived from skull shape.
>>
>>417835
Still more accurate than any white Jesus
>>
Nobody has a hard time accepting it. That particular image is generally rejected because its a goofy CG cartoon image, but you can find popular portrayals of Jesus of any image, including middle eastern.
>>
>>417827
>this guy looks like a retarded peasant.

Which Jesus was.
>>
>>417800
He looks like a neanderthal or a caveman. At least make him look semi professional like sadaam or assad
>>
>>417835
>You can't determine everything you'd ever want to know about a man from his skull
*tips fedora*
>>
>>417800
beauty sells
no matter where you live, what culture or religion you follow you'll always look for beautiful things
so having a handsome blond green eyed jesus would convert a lot more than some arabian middle aged guy with a shaggy hair and an unkept beard

>pic very related: charisma and an attractive face can do more for you than all your skills combined
>>
does that guy look like he could come up with the sermon on the mount?

he looks like he can barely grunt
>>
>>417818
>stotries
>see's

real convincing infographic pajeet
>>
>>417979
Not OP but napoleon was neither charismatic or attractive
>>
>jesus was an arab
WOW THIS IS TOTALLY SOMETHING ANYONE WITH HALF A BRAIN DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW
>>
File: 2008VIACRUCIS1.jpg (75 KB, 520x726) Image search: [Google]
2008VIACRUCIS1.jpg
75 KB, 520x726
>>417800
Do people really have a hard time accepting it? I mean that guy is ugly as sin and I'd rather he be a 7 or 8/10 middle easterner, but people draw Jesus in the appearance of their race so it's easier to relate with him. It's not like there's any theological obligation to visualize his historical face correctly.
>>
>>418014
it's your opinion but i'm pretty sure the charismatic part is an undoubted fact
>>
>>418014
>0/10 wouldn't fuck
Bitch please.
>>
File: -691-d490d.jpg (39 KB, 371x520) Image search: [Google]
-691-d490d.jpg
39 KB, 371x520
>>418014
>Napoleon was not attractive

Nigga you gay.
>>
>>418021
His troops loved him and he frequently had conversations with them but that's not what I would call charismatic
>>
>>418020
>not posting black jesus
bitx ass racis mohfuga
>>
>>418019
He was obviously African-American.
>>
File: 1414801277837.jpg (20 KB, 509x446) Image search: [Google]
1414801277837.jpg
20 KB, 509x446
>>418031
>men from everywhere wanted to follow him
>his enemies wanted to be liked him
>the women wanted to be on top of him
> "I used to say of him that his presence on the field made the difference of 40,000 men." t. his nemesis
>not charismatic

well give me a better example because for me he's probably one of the most notably charismatic people ever created
>>
>>418031
Then what the fuck would you call charismatic? He literally gained an army that was supposed to arresr him thanks to his charisma when he returned to France.
>>
File: Semitic_languages.svg.png (220 KB, 795x1024) Image search: [Google]
Semitic_languages.svg.png
220 KB, 795x1024
>>418019
But that's objectively wrong.
>>
>>418059
it's all the same shit
>>
>>418053
>>418054
He had those things because as far as his line of work is concerned he is probably the best to have ever lived. He was awkward as fuck in his personal life. He was pasty, skinny, and overworked as we can plainly see in all of these pictures that have been posted, he said some weird ass shit at inappropriate times, and I'm pretty sure that it's been all but confirmed that he had aspergers on top of being a high functioning sociopath.

As for an example of someone with better charisma, I'd start with the dude who was kekking him while he was away in Egypt
>>
>>417945
>he thinks this a genius argument
>>
>>417800
see: self-insert fantasy

it's about in every narrative about Jesus (and King Aurthur)
>>
From revelations its only reasonable to assume he was black. Not sub Saharan, but black. Blacks existed outside the Sahara.
>>
>>417800

Jesus' appearance differs by culture. In Japanese wood prints, Jesus is Japanese. In Ethiopian icons, Jesus is Ethiopian. In Indian Christian artwork, Jesus is Indian and is vaguely reminsicent of a Hindu diety. In Roman and Orthodox cathederals, Jesus is Caucasian with fair hair. Its all a matter of appropiating (yeah, I'm using that word) Jesus, a foreign diety, and adjusting his appearance to make him more familiar and relatable to a given people.

I quite like looking at different depictions of Jesus. It offers an insight into the views of other cultures. It makes me wish there was a site or gallery stocked with pictures of Jesus' different forms.
>>
It's all basically just fanfiction

including a plot twist where the MC is the son of god
>>
The historical figures point that jesus was dark haired...other like pontius pilate said he had blonde hair.
>>
>>417979

I didn't know Raiden was once the leader of France
>>
>>417818
>baptised and crucified
No they don't. Stop making shit up.
>>
File: jesus-washing-feet-of-disciples.jpg (1 MB, 2542x1524) Image search: [Google]
jesus-washing-feet-of-disciples.jpg
1 MB, 2542x1524
>>419082
Essencially this.
Like other people have said above; the portrayal of jesus differed according to the ethnicity/culture the art came from. We're used to "white Jesus" because most people here are of European descent, but I'm people know he was a West-Asian semite, so...
>>
I mean, these are modern people from the same area. They don't look much like that.
>>
>>417964
He is totally right though.
Reconstruction of soft tissue tends to be totally biased depending on the political agenda or preexisting notions of the one doing the reconstructing.
You can derive muscles somewhat reliably since they are anchored to the skeleton but beyond that it can be quite a bit of guesswork.

It's rather interesting to see how different people reconstruct a head based on the same skull.
>>
>>417964
You fucking retard, why do you think we still don't know what colors were the dinosaurs?
>>
>>418014
Maybe you don't consider him attractive, but he was charismatic as hell.
>>
File: ye0843559_hh.jpg (75 KB, 350x450) Image search: [Google]
ye0843559_hh.jpg
75 KB, 350x450
He probably looked like this
>>
>>420224
Adorable Ethiopian chibis.
>>
File: syrian man.jpg (36 KB, 260x387) Image search: [Google]
syrian man.jpg
36 KB, 260x387
>>420329
Actually many Levantine people are rather white or white-ish. It takes a solid amount of American ignorance to assume everyone from Turkey to Yemen is a fizzy haired, dark skinned dune coon.
>>
>>420365
>a guy from the Galilee looked like a Yemeni

I want retards to leave. Also see >>420378
>>
>>420378
But most are.

Pic related. Syrian national football team.
>>
>>420392
Except for like two of them (especially the goalie), they look pretty white. Most of them would easily pass for Spaniards or Italians.
>>
>>420392
Palestine national football team
>>
>>420397
Or Greeks. They are still not the blonde Germanic Aryans that some people want to portray them as.
>>
>>417800
>I don't see why people have a hard time accepting that a historical Jesus would most likely look like this rather than as some germanian or a sub-saharan African

They do?
>>
File: Christ Pantocrator.jpg (385 KB, 1100x2127) Image search: [Google]
Christ Pantocrator.jpg
385 KB, 1100x2127
>>420406
You're beating a strawman, nobody is saying Jesus is "Germanic". But there's nothing unreasonable in saying he could've looked white, Germanics don't have a monopoly on whiteness despite some retards from /pol/ thinking so.

He could've easily looked like this.
>>
>>420389
Most Phonecian type settlements were more up north. If Jesus had White traits, it would be noted because it's rare even amongst levantines
>>
>>420433
Why bring up Phoenicians? Like how are they related to the debate? Also Sepphoris was Hellenic as fuck.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>420419
>But there's nothing unreasonable in saying he could've looked white, Germanics don't have a monopoly on whiteness despite some retards from /pol/ thinking so. He could've easily looked like this.

You are absolutely right, he could have looked like that. But then again, we have no idea what he looked like. That being the case, our best assumption would be to assume he looked like an average peasant from 1 century Palestine.

Basically what the people from OP picture did was something like pic related.
>>
>>417800
What really annoys me about this reconstruction is the hair. They've purposely done it in that style to throw people off... there is absolutely know way to know what his hairstyle was.
If they'd done it in the more familiar, long hair fashion, then I'm quite sure it wouldn't be any where near as shocking.
>>
>>417800
No that's Jose, my gardener.
>>
>>420447
>t was the Bible, however, that resolved the question of the length of Jesus's hair. While most religious artists have put long hair on Christ, most biblical scholars believe that it was probably short with tight curls. This assumption, however, contradicted what many believe to be the most authentic depiction: the face seen in the image on the famous—some say infamous—Shroud of Turin. The shroud is believed by many to be the cloth in which Jesus's body was wrapped after his death. Although there is a difference of opinion as to whether the shroud is genuine, it clearly depicts a figure with long hair. Those who criticize the shroud's legitimacy point to 1 Corinthians, one of the many New Testament books the apostle Paul is credited with writing. In one chapter he mentions having seen Jesus—then later describes long hair on a man as disgraceful. Would Paul have written "If a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him" if Jesus Christ had had long hair? For Neave and his team this settled the issue. Jesus, as drawings from the first century depict, would have had short hair, appropriate to men of the time.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a234/1282186/
>>
>>420467
I never made a conclusion on the hair... I was simply saying that the artist purposely gave this reconstruction short hair to throw people off and shock people.

Anyway, using the Bible as a source leaves a lot to assumption, and you really have to assess the provenence of it all.
>>
>>420467
Paul never actually met Jesus in person, he went full retard on his road to Damascus where he imagined he revealed himself to him. Jesus was already dead by that point.
>>
>>420467
Paul never met Jesus.
However John mentions multiple burial wrappings, which contrasts with the singular shroud.
Authenticity of John may be doubted.
Shroud can be doubted much more since it's very likely a fake.
>>
>People get buttmad when a guy from the middle east looks middle eastern

Oh wait not people I meant Americans.
>>
>>420621
Where are you from? Because I'm middle eastern and many of us do look white.
>>
>>420636
"many"
>>
>>420648
Yes, many. How many years have you spent in the ME to claim otherwise?
>>
>>420648
almost all of us
we just tan easily and spend a lot of time in the sun
>>
>>417800
That guy looks like a Neanderthal. Why wouldn't Jesus look like any modern man from Jerusalem?

The gold colored hair was false, but it was either symbolism or just to make him more identifiable to euros.
>>
>>417818
The Tower of Babel fable was about humans getting so obsessed with that project that they took it as an idol and forgot about other things.

It's the same as any "hooked on drugs" lesson now.
>>
>>418085
>aspergers
Just stop trying to project your shit on history to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>418085
>charisma is being normal
wow son
And what the fuck does him being overworked have to do with anything? Your standards for charisma seem to be whatever works for picking up sluts in bars.
>>
I swear sometimes reading /his/ makes me feel like im in lefty /pol/
>>
>>421588
>thinking a middle easterner looks middle eastern is leftist
wewlad
>>
>>420467
>In one chapter he mentions having seen Jesus—then later describes long hair on a man as disgraceful. Would Paul have written "If a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him" if Jesus Christ had had long hair?
This is fucking idiotic. Long hair can mean anything from ear-length to ankle-length. Shoulder-length hair was probably standard in Palestine at the time, while some Greeks were known for wearing long-long hair. Cf. the Spartans who never cut theirs after defeating some other dudes (Argives if I recall from Herodotus correctly).

And this is discounting the possiblity that Jesus took the oath of Nazireat, which in some versions required not cutting your hair.
Wearing your hair long because of a holy oath taken in Temple of Jerusalem =/= wearing your hair long because your erastes likes to pull it during sex.

But the best answer is that we don't know and shouldn't probably care.
>>
>>421625
I love how every single middle easterner is supposed to be a nappy haired fat shitskin according to you. See:

>>420636
>>420661
>>420763
>>420419
>>420397
>>420378
>>
>>417818

>historical accuracy scares Christians
>even the facts that support their own narrative

I'm guessing you didn't mean to say that.

>>419324

Well, scholars argue that there is evidence for Jesus being baptised and crucified.

Here's Josephus on the issue:
"At this time there appeared Jesus, a wise man, [if indeed one ought to call him a man.] For he was a doer of amazing deeds, a teacher of persons who receive truth and pleasure. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. [He was the Messiah]. And when Pilate condemend him to the cross, the leading men among us having accused him, those who loved him from the first did not cease to do so. [For he appeared to them the third day alive again, the divine prophets having spoken these things and a myriad of other marvels concerning him]. And to the present the tribe of Christians, named after this person, has not disappeared (Antiquities 18.63-64) Quotes in brackets are likely later Christian insertions into Josephus's account. Information taken from Fabricating Jesus by Craig A. Evans

Moreover, here is Bart Ehrman, biblical skeptic, on the idea of Jesus being baptised:

"In Mark, our earliest account, John baptizes Jesus. Would Christians have made this up? Remember, in the early Christian tradition it was believed that the person who was spiritually superior baptized the one who was spiritually inferior. Would a Christian make up the idea that Jesus was baptized by, and therefore inferior to, someone else?. . . Conclusion? Jesus probably really did associate with John the Baptist at the beginning of his ministry, and probably was baptized by him." From Jesus, Interrupted page 154.

Moreover, you can look up the debate between William Lane Craig and Ehrman on Youtube. Craig uses a similar line of argumentation.
>>
>>421663

Craig says that since the eye-witness account for Jesus' resurrection was given by women, it is unlikely the resurrection was made up, for this would be entirely embarrassing considering the testimony of women was not considered credible at that time.
>>
>>421658
where did I say that all middle easterners have any of the following qualities: having nappy hair, being fat, or having shit colored skin
>>
>>421692
He does say a lot of stupid shit.
>>
>>421736
>having nappy hair, being fat, or having shit colored skin

See OP's pic. You imply that is your idea of a "middle easterner"
>>
Literally no one believes that you fucking idiot. Go into any Church (that isn't a McChurch in the US)

All the icons and stained glass depict Jesus as a Middle Eastern looking man with brown hair and brown eyes. I've only ever seen like 1 or 2 incredibly batshit insane churches in the US that depict him as blond and blue eyed.

But who am I kidding, reason doesn't work on you people

WE

WUZ

MESSIAHZ
>>
>>421625
Slow down there vlad the implyer i wasnt even talking about OPs post. Just the little 2 cents people like to include
>>
>>421770
I've been hanging out with arabs my whole life and have quite a bit of arabic blood. I know that middle easterners from differenet areas look different and most (of the ones I've met anyways) are light.
You assumed I didnt and thats on you, not me
>>
>>421777
My bad that I assumed that your post in this thread was relevant to this thread. I wont give you too much credit next time
>>
>>417937
Yeah, pretty much. I doubt he would have been an exceptionally educated carpenter.
>>
>>417952
>semi professional
He was basically a proto-hippie.
>>
File: Palestinians.jpg (2 MB, 5616x3744) Image search: [Google]
Palestinians.jpg
2 MB, 5616x3744
>>417800
>>
File: Christ_with_beard.jpg (64 KB, 558x600) Image search: [Google]
Christ_with_beard.jpg
64 KB, 558x600
This here is one of the early images from the fourth century that would serve as the template for all future depictions of Jesus. It's based on the the images of Zeus/Jupiter, Saturn, or Dionysus.
>>
>>417800
Jesus was made immaculately and without sin. Perfection, as he is God. Therefore, he cannot be black.

Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>421558
>what does overworked have to with anything
Drive people insane for starters
>>421532
Look it up if you dont believe me

By the way I happen to be very fond of Napoleon, I just think that charisma means something a little different from what he actually was; an impossibly talented liar and strategist
>>
>Jesus
>Not being a long haired levantine man
>>
>>417800
I don't see why people on Fox think that saying he was anything but white is comparable to denying the holocaust.

Fucking Megan Kelly. Supposedly an accomplished lawyer, too. FML.
>>
File: 1445199321958.jpg (107 KB, 792x652) Image search: [Google]
1445199321958.jpg
107 KB, 792x652
>>424143

Black men are perfect.

Checkmate /pol/
>>
>>424186
You are now aware that Bill O'Reily cast a brown Muslim as Jesus in the film adaptation of Killing Jesus because it's more accurate than a white European.
>>
>>418020
I think it's the opposite, where people refuse to accept that the depiction of him that they've been fed their entire lives is false. In my experience, this is very much a common Christian trait.
>>
>>418019
>Megan Kelly confirmed for less than half a brain
Fuck, this is the type of person who is practicing law? We are surely lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBn2wIQWoB8
>>
>>418085
You are literally retarded
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.