[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Countries with overrated histories Pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
File: Flag_-_Union_Flag.jpg (416 KB, 1080x894) Image search: [Google]
Flag_-_Union_Flag.jpg
416 KB, 1080x894
Countries with overrated histories

Pic related
>>
USA
>>
I always cringe a this threads massive anglophobia. Don't get me wrong, I'm not English and I hate the crumpet chewing traitor monkeys as you do but fuck me, they have done so much for the world if not more than your country whomever is posting.
>>
>>415968

what country has a comparable history?

>born out of rebellion
>instituted a form of democracy and capitalism that would be emulated worldwide
>ended the use of slaves
>pioneered science, engineering, and mathematics
>kickstarted worldwide modernization due to two industrial revolutions
>helped develop central america and south america with things like the panama canal
>saved the world in two different wars
>became a beacon of culture through entertainment, science, fashion, and city-planning

and that not even including the 21st century you pleb
>>
File: 1449876646349.png (284 KB, 501x800) Image search: [Google]
1449876646349.png
284 KB, 501x800
>>415975
>I am not English but I must say I do think they are amazing chaps
>>
>>415979
>>415968

>what country has a comparable history?

>born out of rebellion
Belgium, Finland, all the Latin American states
>instituted a form of democracy and capitalism that would be emulated worldwide
I'm pretty sure parliamentary democracy and mixed economies like that of Europe are vastly more popular
>ended the use of slaves
years after nations like Britain
>pioneered science, engineering, and mathematics
kinda like Europe
>kickstarted worldwide modernization due to two industrial revolutions
fair enough but I would give more credit to the Britbongs
>helped develop central america and south america with things like the panama canal
pic related
>saved the world in two different wars
my sides
>became a beacon of culture through entertainment, science, fashion, and city-planning
okay, this bit is undeniable

and that not even including the 21st century you pleb
>>
>>415975

Look at the eternal anglo trying to pretend he's someone else.

>guys we totally didn't commit more crimes against humanity than all the communist countries combined + the nazis
>>
File: france.png (13 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
france.png
13 KB, 2000x1333
1789 was a scam, and the social progress france brags about is more than questionable (school system, etc), basically let WW2 happen, resistance is praiseworthy, eventhough a lot joined it right before the war ended or just did not commit at all
>>
>>415954
They won the world, idiot
>>
>>416002
>, resistance is praiseworthy

Top fucking kek. The french 'resistance' was a total meme
>>
>>415979
Is this a pasta I don't know about?
>>
>>416004
>The french 'resistance' was actually the SOE and 3 or 4 frenchmen
Ftfy
>>
>>416004
pls explain, i know it's 100% overrated especially here in france, but i wouldn't say theres 0 credit to give
>>
>>416024
>hon hon hon we gave the germans wrong to cafe directions we are super strong resistance
>>
>>416012
I saw that exact post a day or two ago (it successfully derailed a thread via making everyone laugh at the "ending slavery" part), so yes, it's apparently a pasta.
>>
File: cover.jpg (141 KB, 396x663) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
141 KB, 396x663
Post-unification Germany. Like, half of pop-history is about fucking Nazis.
>>
Anglo history is overrated as fuck, German history gets no love because Nazis. Frederick the Great was one of the most brilliant leaders in history, but only Prussiaboos remember him. It's a damn shame.
>>
>>416053
> Frederick the Great was one of the most brilliant leaders in history
He's only remembered as such because some MILF in Russia died a year too early, he was just a lucky opportunist.
>>
>>415954
Preempire history of the British isles is mind numbingly boring
>>
>>415954
Totally disagree. The UK is the most influential country in history; it essentially 'won' history.
>>
>overrated
The modern world not enough for you bro?
>>
>>416172
In what way did it win? Aside from having a big empire that didn't even last 300 years?
>>
Greeks.
>>
>>416179
It's language and culture became dominant just at the right time, as the world was globalizing, which has probably entrenched them permanently.

English is the lingua franca of the world. Most of the world's governing and legal systems are modelled on the British. Anglo popular culture dominates the world in every respect. Not bad for an island in the North Atlantic.

It's entirely probably that no language other than English will ever be spoken on another planet, which is pretty profound when you consider it.
>>
>>416190
Classical period deserves the attention it gets, Byzantine has some interesting aspects but is pretty overated, anything from the Ottoman era and onward is irrelevant and boring.
>>
>>415961
They dont have an history at all
>>
>>416208
English is the lingua fracta because of the USA, you saying "Anglo" is just trying to claim the US' mass culture as your own.

You did dominate in popularising sports though.
>>
>>416208
Sorry limey, but America has long since taken over as the dominant English speaking/Anglo nation and is much more responsible for the language's prolific use worldwide. Not to discredit the UK, but the 20th century marks the passing of the torch from one global power to the next. Now we can all smugly benefit from not really needing to be multilingual.
>>
>>415979
Wipe this pasta from the face of the earth.
American history is shit-tier.
>>
>>416228
The US (as with Canada, Australia) is a daughter country of the UK. And of course having several of your settler colonies being major economic powers is part of English's dominance. But far from the only part.

English is deeply entrenches in many parts of the world as it became the common language of government/education/commerce in many extremely multilingual countries, due to the influence of the British empire. Most of Southern and Eastern Africa, a large part of West Africa, South Asia, other countries dotted around the world. Hundreds of millions of people live in countries where public life happens in English that aren't 'anglo' (although it opens them to the cultural influence more).
>>
>>416285
So poor African and Asian shitholes speak English because a brutal empire forced and the developed world speaks English because of America making them want to due to great entertainment and business.
>>
>>416285
>The US (as with Canada, Australia) is a daughter country of the UK

And the UK is a daughter country of Rome, which was a daughter country of...

this is what you are doing here
>>
>>416301
They are direct settler colonies of the UK, that tool its language and laws with them.

The analogy with Rome would be with Latin-speaking colonies of the Roman Empire back when they still spoke Latin.
>>
>>416297
Pretty much this
Reminder that even in 1914, pic of the British Empire, French was still the international language while English was irrelevant in the civilized world

It only became widspread in developped countries after WW2 as the USA became a superpower and spammed the developped world with their cultural products (hollywood, popular music and later the internet)
>>
File: 1449919916378.jpg (42 KB, 541x498) Image search: [Google]
1449919916378.jpg
42 KB, 541x498
>people learn english by watching the simpsons and fresh prince of bel air with subtitles when they grow up
>brits use this as a sign of their cultural domination
>>
>>416002
If anything French history is underrated, especially the Middle Ages.
>>
>>416753
>posted in English
>on an Anglo website
>>
>>416753

>someone speaking your language instead of their own
>not a sign of domination
>>
>>416753
It's still our language fuckface. We don't speak American do we?
>>
>>416810
We do. Most browsers will mark your spelling mistakes.
>>
>>416778
>>416802
>>416810
Sorry you got cucked out of your own language, I learned English from American movies and tv not Britbong movies.

Here is were you pathetically brag about the British actors in American move, yes my friend your most talented people have to leave for America. You cuck.
>>
File: race_war_2015.png (2 MB, 1524x1279) Image search: [Google]
race_war_2015.png
2 MB, 1524x1279
>>415954
Got it in one my Aryan friend
>>
File: 1449868120225.jpg (128 KB, 358x350) Image search: [Google]
1449868120225.jpg
128 KB, 358x350
>>416849
>Aryan
>german
>history
>>
>>416911
>United
>States
>Of America
>>
File: angloblood.png (27 KB, 132x68) Image search: [Google]
angloblood.png
27 KB, 132x68
>>416911
Hello Anglo
>>
File: 1449889681318.png (830 KB, 792x792) Image search: [Google]
1449889681318.png
830 KB, 792x792
>>416914
>>416918
I am neither American or Anglo
>>
>>416843

>implying it matters at all where you learned to speak it

You needed to learn to speak my language. I didn't need to learn yours.
>>
>>415979
Oh my god, is this pasta or bait? I can't tell
>>
>>416843
And you still learnt the tongue of the Anglo.
>>
>>416997
What ever helps you sleep at night britirrelevant
>>
>>415954
/int/-tier shit
not even a brit
>>
>>417449
>not even a brit

righto chap
>>
File: qa_burnttoast.jpg (41 KB, 490x359) Image search: [Google]
qa_burnttoast.jpg
41 KB, 490x359
>>416931
Burned like toast
>>
>>417955
Nope
>>
Africa has the most impressive history
>>
>>415975
*whoever
>trying to sound smart
>coming off as a fucking idiot
>>
>>416053
What did the Germans ever do which was significant? Brits ruled the world.
>>
>>415961
it's only been 200 or so years so it's not really counted as a history

France
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.