[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ever happened to the Assyrians?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (958 KB, 1748x2708) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
958 KB, 1748x2708
I like to think that I'm Assyrian because I am a Syriac-Aramaic speaking Christian from Northern Iraq. Does anyone have any insight into what my real history is? Where might I actually be from considering what history and DNA tells us?
>>
>>409270

How does it feel to not use cuneiform, you shifty babylonian fucker? Do you fuck many virgins at the temple? How much do they charge?
>>
>>409270
Assyrians still exist as an ethnic group.

However they went into massive population decline because of all the wars and shit fucking them up.
>>
Their busy fucking goats, blowing up places for alloha and invading Europe.
>>
>>409316
???

You realize theat we're all Christian right?
>>
>>409276
>>409278
There are still 3 million Assyrians in the world and probably a 1/6 of that in Iraq. It's been a continuous genocide and no nation has really had a serious interest in stopping it. At this point, I cant think of a single good reason for an Assyrian Christian to live in Iraq or Syria.

>>409276
We switched to Aramaic while the Assyrian kingdom was still a thing. Thank god I don't use Cuneiform, I write write with a pen, not hammer and chisel.
>>
>>409270
>Does anyone have any insight into what my real history is? Where might I actually be from considering what history and DNA tells us?

You're probably fully Assyrian, well as close to pure as possible. I'm personally Chaldean (both parents), but we all kind of fall under the same grouping as being the natives of Mesopotamia as apposed to the marsh Arabs who came from the south and are more bedouin. It might be easier just to say we're all Babylonian.

I think the only real thing that differentiates us all (excluding the Arabs) is the different religious paths we all went down. Mandaeans went Gnostic, Assyrians went with Syriac / Eastern Christianity, and Chaldeans went with Roman Catholicism. I know there are still some people out there who call themselves Sumerian too, but it's doubtful they're bloodline is that pure. Our DNA is most likely all very similar though at the end of the day.

All those old Babylonian races kept marrying their cousins and family members so they wouldn't mix with Arabs. Not too dissimilar to what the Jews did. But I'm sure there were outside influences. The Greeks were there for a very long time due to Alexander the Great, and even the British were there for a long as fuck time. I'm pretty sure they fucked the local population. Personally, people never even think I'm from the middle-east; they usually guess Greek or Italian. Some in my family are even ginger and look more Eastern European, so who knows.
>>
>>409415
You realize Chaldean is just the name of your religion right? You're ethnically Assyrian.

>The term "Chaldean" has fairly recently been revived to describe those Assyrians who broke from the Church of the East in the 16th and 17th centuries AD and entered communion with the Roman Catholic Church. This is a historic, ethnic and geographic inaccuracy. After initially calling it "The Church of Assyria and Mosul" in 1553 AD and designating its first leader as the "Patriarch of the East Assyrians", it was later renamed the Chaldean Catholic Church in 1683 AD. However, this line also reverted to the Assyrian church, whereas the modern Chaldean Catholic Church was only founded in 1830 AD. The term Chaldean Catholic should be understood purely as a Christian denomination rather than a racial term as the modern Chaldean Catholics are in fact ethnically Assyrian people,[14] converts to Catholicism, and long indigenous to the Assyrian homeland in northern Mesopotamia, rather than relating to long extinct Chaldeans who hailed from The Levant and settled in the far southeastern parts of Mesopotamia before wholly disappearing during the 6th century BC. There has been no accredited academic study nor historical evidence which links the modern Chaldean Catholics to the ancient Chaldeans. In other words no Chaldean continuity.

Did you know we're over 50% Caucasian? When did we get Caucasian in our DNA? Are we Assyrianized Aramaeans? Did we mix with Armenians? Are we originally out of India or out of Africa?
>>
I'm writing a story and one of the characters is Assyrian. In some cultures if you misbehave the parents might send you to live with your uncle to straighten you out. Is that a realistic thing to happen to a shit head Assyrian kid?
>>
>>409482
Never heard of that happening with us at all. Though my dad lived with his uncle during his time at university because his house was closer to the University of Mosul.
>>
>>409472
>Did you know we're over 50% Caucasian? When did we get Caucasian in our DNA? Are we Assyrianized Aramaeans? Did we mix with Armenians? Are we originally out of India or out of Africa?

Are you fucking retarded.

Caucausians are from the middle east.
>>
you are a person. You ancestors saw some Assyrian qt's and then they got HAYASTANED.
I advise you to not pay a company to do one of those genetic heritage test, because they keep your DNA and those test are garbage, because people move around and fuck and ethnic identity is based on how much the ethnic group is willing to accept you.

What happened to the Assyrians? The culture adopted Christianity and that is it. That probably made it more likely that they interbred with other Christianity based ethnicities.
Assyrians were an ancient pagan culture, that later converted to Christianity.
>>
>>409495
I thought Georgians were the first Caucasians and so to be part Caucasian means to have mixed with Georgians at some point. This is probably much older then Ancient History.
>>
>>409503
I actually want a DNA test so I can know where my ancestors lived, it wouldn't change me ethnicity but then I would at least know where I get my appearance from.
Most Assyrians don't live around other Christians minorities with Armenians being the exception in a few areas. So I don't there actually was much interbreeding with other Christian minorities after Christ but yeah. I DNA test might help me answer that, I think it would also help me connect to my neighbouring ethnic groups.
>>
>>409472
>You realize Chaldean is just the name of your religion right? You're ethnically Assyrian.

That's what they say, but a lot of Chaldeans choose to differentiate themselves from Assyrians.

We even have our own dialect of Neo-Aramaic, and people who self identify as Chaldean trace their heritage back to the Chaldean tribes which later got incorporated into greater Babylonia around the 6th century BC.

I know historians try and push for the fact that Chaldeans are just Assyrians with a different religion, but myself and many others who consider who themselves Chaldean have always rejected this. We're still Semitic and incredibly close, but there is still an ancient border.

>Did you know we're over 50% Caucasian? When did we get Caucasian in our DNA? Are we Assyrianized Aramaeans? Did we mix with Armenians? Are we originally out of India or out of Africa?

I thought the theory was that Caucasians emerged from North Africa / Fertile Crescent and then moved northwards into Europe?

For example I found this.

>"Studies have reported that most Irish and Britons are descendants of farmers who left modern day Iraq and Syria 10,000 years ago. Genetic researchers say they have found compelling evidence that four out of five (80% of) white Europeans can trace their roots to the Near East. In another study, scientists analysed DNA from the 8,000-year-old remains of early farmers found at an ancient graveyard in Germany. They compared the genetic signatures to those of modern populations and found similarities with the DNA of people living in today's Turkey and Iraq."
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.