[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have a career related to history or humanities?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9
Does anyone here have a career related to history or humanities?
>>
>>407656
Burger flipper.
>>
I love history but I don't have the patience or nerve to be a professor so it's otherwise pretty useless desu
>>
>>407656

I have a degree in history. Coming out of university the only options available were teacher's college or grad school. Since no school board gives a flying fuck about history there are few jobs for history teaching. You'll be better off teaching English and then weaving your way into history.

Grad school just means more debt, you come out with a better credential but job prospects remain slim. Becoming a full time professor takes years and since few professors retire at 65 you'll be in the pipe for a long ass time just waiting for an interview.
>>
I'm studying Classics, with a major in Classical Greek.

Not exactly a career but I want to be a writer, so I wanted some background that wasn't absolutely worthless.
>>
history grad here

not gonna lie there's not many options and the fields available to you are by no means in demand. The two most viable routes history can give you are teaching and law, so History is normally a segway to a Masters program or, if you have the money, go get your Juris Doctor.

I choose the law route, but I didn't go to law school because I'm not about to throw myself that much deeper into debt. So I took a 1 year vocation program to become a paralegal and do assistance work for attorneys.

So far I've done pretty well for myself. Paralegal jobs are generally in demand and not hard to find openings if you know where to look, I usually found a solid opening to interview for every month or 2 during my job hunting.

the first year or 2 is really slow cause you need experience to get good living wage money, they'll start you out at $10 an hour with no experience, but after 1 or 2 years under your belt and some good references from attorneys, you generally get offered $17-20 an hour by then. So it's been a good path for me anyway.

Not so much related to history itself, but the research and analyzing involved is something I like about both fields personally.
>>
I'd love to major in history but there are fuck all job opportunities. Not so fond of the humanities but I understand there's a similar lack of careers.
>>
>>409852

There's also the rare government historian/archivist job. Not quite a white stag but postings can be few and far between.
>>
My ex-girlfriend graduated with a Masters in History with the hope to become an Egyptologist, and then the Arab Spring happened and my uncontrollable laughter drove us apart for some reason.
>>
>>409852
>$10/hr
God damn I made more than that in my job as an undergrad
>>
>>407656
History undergrad here, planning to go to grad school for library/information studies

I'd love to work in a library (comfiest job I can imagine), but the field of info studies seems exciting now that so much information is stored online
One of the schools I'm looking at has a class on data mining...
>>
>>413428

Library Science programs are in an odd place where half the faculty are career technocrats trying to train future technocrats to digitally store knowledge and the other half are critical theory-fetishizing ethicists who believe storing any information in a computer database is inherently unethical or immoral. You'd be required to take classes taught by both. However, it's not a bad secondary degree if you want to both be a librarian and publish in your main field of interest. However, content area librarians typically have both a Master's in Library or Information Science and a Master's in their main field of interest and reference.
>>
>>409976

History: Archivist, Curator, Teacher

Other humanities: Archaeologist, Surveyor, Editor/Writer

History is a liberal arts degree that's not bad to have but typically most people who major in it find careers outside of it. There are small town politicians, police officers, clergy, and professional athletes with history degrees among other seemingly unrelated professions. History and general/interdisciplinary humanities degrees are also sometimes used as a sideways-ish path into new media journalism.
>>
Used to be a paych major but i'm now taking a break due to not knowing what i want to do with my life anymore. I've always considered getting a history degree but I'm pretty bad at paper writing so I don't know, the doctor's say I have ADD. People always tell me I should be a teacher or somwthing along those lines.
>>
history/social studies/english teacher at high school. if you want to go this route, be prepared to teach english though, history is not in much demand compared

I actually majored in pols and philosophy though, not history
>>
>>409852
>10$ an hour
what the fuck anon i made 12$ at my first job in high school
>>
I majored in philosophy and sociology, and now I work at an insurance company doing business analysis in the IT department. Go figure.
>>
>>413699
>>413422
he

yeah I forgot to say, I live in Alabama, so wages are much lower than the rest of the country, but at the same time living costs are lower.

I was able to live alone in an apartment at $10 an hour, which is unheard of up North.
>>
>>413699
what the fuck do I do man
I'm a history major training to be a history teacher, and you guys are saying that there are either no jobs or the jobs have a million applicants, I'm not even going to a prestigious Uni, I feel like every day i spend here is just another day wasted, I was never a good high school but I am at Uni, what the fuck is wrong with me, why did it take until now for it to "click"
what do you guys do as a profession?
>>
>>413745
if by history teacher you mean in high school, then be prepared to teach english as well. I dunno how teacher qualification works in the US, but for me, I did english as one of my curriculum strands in my teaching graduate diploma
>>
File: 1427563328206.jpg (9 KB, 337x337) Image search: [Google]
1427563328206.jpg
9 KB, 337x337
High school history teacher, it's got its drawbacks, but the benefits far outweigh them.

To the handful of educators who've posted in this thread or just the ones lurking; do you ever read a post on 4chan and look at an anon's writing and almost have this innate sense that the poster is underage? I'm not saying that my own form is anything spectacular, just that there are times where I can almost tell that a poster is a teenager. Makes me wonder if grading assignments all day has anything to do with it all.
>>
>>413796
I am in a secondary ed history program right now and I intend on teaching English in a foreign country for a few years after I get out.

I know it's a little different for native speakers, but do any educators itt think that experience teaching English over-seas will help if I have to teach English in the states?
>>
>>413728
Forgot to mention, it's a paid internship that pays $20/hr (I live in nyc). Base pay as an associate is somewhere around ~45k/yr and tops out well over 100k/yr. It's pretty solid.

It's a good direction to go if you have a background in the analytical humanities and are familiar with the fundamentals of comp sci.
>>
File: chalk.jpg (67 KB, 425x250) Image search: [Google]
chalk.jpg
67 KB, 425x250
>>413811
Experience anywhere helps, you gain so much just from your first year.

Whether or not you're better served going overseas after certification is something I can't help you on.
>>
Anthropology graduate student here.

Looking to get my PhD and teach eventually, not an archaeologist (im socio-linguistics), but this is still considered humanities.
>>
>>413802
Definitely. It's not just the writing style though, often I see such dumb, uninformed posts, that I cannot accept could be written by somebody with actual tertiary education. People seriously just regurgitate wikipedia articles on this board even more than 14 year old social studies students do.

>>413811
Any teaching experience is useful, of course, but for me in my country (New Zealand) a competent male English teacher can basically walk into an English job without any kind of experience, ESOL or otherwise. We have a shortage of (non immigrant) male teachers in general, as well as a shortage of English teachers.

Unfortunately history is becoming less popular in schools here, so there is less demand for history teachers, although social studies is compulsory for the first two of five high school years so there is demand there.
>>
>>413796
i hope not man, it's different here in the states
>>
File: battle_Hohenfriedberg.jpg (66 KB, 620x301) Image search: [Google]
battle_Hohenfriedberg.jpg
66 KB, 620x301
>>413835
I'm not even talking about just this board, but 4chan in general.

It's usually most obvious in very long posts, there's no form or substance to their writing, and the way they present whatever it is they're talking/arguing about just feels "off" so to speak.
>>
>>413862
well i'm highly educated, but i don't really care how i write here, i just write what comes to mind i guess. I try to not type like a retard though.
>>
>>413831
it is?
>>
File: blank-open-book.jpg (60 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
blank-open-book.jpg
60 KB, 1280x1024
Top Careers for History Graduates

pic related
>>
>>416185
you forgot teaching
>>
I majored in history because I've always found the subject interesting and my school had a number of great history professors whose classes were always engaging and informative, but none of the typical history major career routes (teaching/law) sound appealing to me. Truthfully no career sounds appealing to me, but I accept the reality that I must find one eventually. Thanks to scholarship I graduated with no debt so I don't have to worry on that end, but my parents have been really pushing me to get a real job lately. I don't know wtf to do.
>>
>>407656
I know a dude who works for Csis and another for some intelligence agency. Helped set them up for it.
>>
>>416497
Before going down the teaching route I applied for grad positions with three of four intelligence agencies in my country. I didn't make the cut for any of them.
>>
>>409976
Depends on your ambition/ specific desire for a career. I'm not going to pretend that history degrees are in any way in demand, but often decent positions are largely gated merely by having a bachelors degree, and then some follow up certificate or course. Where I am there are a decent number of government jobs or general office work that I could get out of a Ba and like a year of extra work, jobs lots of people don't even consider/realize exist. a good place to start is municipal job postings or looking into government institutions, such as real estate appraisal.
>>
>>416161
different places vary on whether they include anthropology in Humanities or social sciences, there's fair arguments for both. He said linguistics, which usually falls to Humanities.
>>
I'm interning at a law firm over summer. Hope to eventually break into a big commercial firm when I finish my degree but the competition is going to be instense
>>
>>417140
good luck anon
>>
>>417140
>thinking he has a chance at biglaw without first sunmering there
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 259x195
Become a writer. The skills you utilize in the study of history make you God-tier even if not stronk writer
>>
>>413831
studying an anthropology major at the moment, and would like to follow the linguistics line, any recommendations on lectures?
>>
>>418408
Is it easy or even possible to become a writer without degenerating into writing for buzzfeed?

Academia positions are supposedly hard to fill.
>>
>>413802

I'm not even a teacher but you can damned well tell when a wikipedia edit was made by a 14-17 year old.
>>
>>413811

TEFL is its own profession completely separate from public school teaching in the US/UK or commonwealth countries. They're apples and oranges, not to mention different career paths, and anyone reviewing your resume will tell you that.
>>
>>413831

Are you interested in languages themselves or how language is constructed? Linguistics only really studies the latter, which is why there are so many people running around who are trained linguists but can't speak a language other than their own. It's also one of the more technical fields of anthropology that doesn't have much utility outside of it - at least physical anthropologists, technical as their education is, get jobs on archaeological research teams and in crime investigation.
>>
>>416486

Sideways path to journalism, if you have a contemporary focus in your studies it can also be a sideways path into foreign policy. In both cases though you'd be competing with people who have more directly related subject area degrees.
>>
>>418460

History is a really good background for someone like a fantasy writer who needs to create believable background details for a fictional story. Same with Western, Romance, Mystery and other genre fiction writers who could benefit from huge amounts of book learning and lectures about the times and places they write about.
>>
>>418738
>foreign policy
even with a pols degree that is the holy grail job. most people end up working elsewhere in the public service hoping to get their foot in the door on their way to foreign policy. you seriously get degree holding secretaries in these departments because everyone wants to do it. getting there on a history degree is a pretty big stretch
>>
>>419685
>>418738

what the fuck is a career in 'foreign policy' anyway?
Because for some reason i dont think either of you mean 'foreign service officer'
>>
>>419843
becoming a diplomat
as another anon said
the best job ever
>>
>>419852
huh
is FSO that hard to get into?

i figured for as much shit the Department of State takes every day by everyone it wouldn't be held in high esteem...
>>
Dual majored in both history and poli-sci (with a focus on international relations). Most entertaining job I ever had was working as a program assistant with summer exchange students through my school, getting to take them on outings, plan events, tutor English, and interact with them.

Not sure where to go from here. I have a temporary (hopefully) job at a treatment center for youth sexual offenders as a counselor/skills trainer/guard thing, but it's really not my area of interest.

I love history and foreign relations but have literally no idea how to begin getting into either of those fields career wise.

Seriously considering joining the us navy as an intelligence officer for a stepping stone career...
>>
About to finish my Bachelors, and am aiming to try and make a career of academia.
Should make a go of it?

I'm debating between a research masters in International Relations and Political Science or Applied Social Theory at Trinity College Dublin.

Tell me why I shouldn't, I mean I get payed to do the Phd and I would much rather work in a faculty than an office.
>>
>>420116
>stepping stone career
don't military enlistments last like 10+ years
>>
>>420123
Well my reasoning would be that if I enjoyed the navy I could try to make a career out of that and if not it's only six years for officers last I checked. Then that would give me an edge in applying to security/foreign affairs related jobs and could even pay for a masters potentially.

Working on getting in shape first. Finally up to a mile and a half nonstop run and two months ago I want even able to do a quarter. Pushups are an absolute butcher though... Can't get past 45 at once and I'd like to get up to 70.
>>
>>420130
>when two months ago I wasnt even able to run a quarter

Sorry for the typos. On my phone.
>>
>>419852
>diplomat
>the best job ever

Yeah, if you can cope with the high probability of being kidnapped or murdered.
>>
>>419852
Being diplomat is a bullshit appointment m8, you need to suck up massive authority-dick to be appointed one. Like be a rich guy and throw funds at a running candidate and hope he wins and appoints you ambassador.

Besides, the actual work is done by the diplomatic corps: i.e. that guy's staff. The Diplomat is basically a talking head.

t. studying for foreign service exams. They tell you this on the get go: the Diplomat will be a moron and its your job to provide him with facts and points he'd have to consider.

The only serious diplomats are sent to important countries like China, Russia, Germany, France, UK, Japan, and South Korea. The rest almost always get morons.
>>
>>413802
It doesn't take much to sound underage when talking about a subject you know little about
>>
>>420123

Depends on what country. Some have a 2 year draft, others have a 4-6 year active duty service obligation, etc.
>>
>>419843

It can be that, but can also be a vague and nebulous term that encompasses everything from NGO employees, think tank wonks, various stripes of government contractors etc
>>
>>420121

Uni faculty is still an office environment. Also not as cushy as people think of it.
>>
>>418738

It can also be a sideways path into tourism/hospitality industry.
>>
>>420153
How exactly are you studying for the FSO test? Everyone I talked to said that you really can't other than staying up to date on current events since that's what half the test is. Unless you meant you are studying the English grammar stuff which is what the other half of the test is on?
>>
Have worked as a Historical Interpreter before,
Was really enjoyable basically re-enacting and teaching hands on history to people for money.
But the money wasn't very good and employers for that kind of thing are next to nil.
>>
>>419843
literally anything in your country's relevant government department. in my country it's the ministry of foreign affairs and trade, and even secretarial jobs are highly sought after. actual policy or consular/diplomatic work is a pipe dream
>>
>>421173

Based on what I've heard a lot of it entails in-depth knowledge of history, geography, economics, and law among other things.
>>
Classics undergrad, moved to ancient history for masters and doctorate.

I work for the government now
>>
>>420121
only bother with academia if you get into a TOP doctoral program. You'll still have to move around every year or two after you take the degree, but it won't be at small colleges in bumblefuck usa.

And only go to grad school if you're fully funded. If you're not, and you decide by the end of 5/6 years that this was really quite enough of academia, it'd be far better to not have a load of debt and no particular job prospects.
>>
>>420121
The thing with academia is that there is so little at stake. Everyone's always up in arms about the smallest shit, be it someone getting a slightly bigger office, or publishing enough.

I discovered quite late that I hate teaching, so I left the field after 3 years.
>>
I graduated in May with a BA in Anthropology, minor in archaeology. I'm currently doing a job as a archaeological field technician because I wanted to be an archaeologist since I was a kid. However, now that I am one I realize that I just was really interested in history and travel and I really don't give a shit about real archaeology. I'm going to keep doing it as a interim job for now, but hopefully I'll be doing something that actually pays a decent salary next year and I'll just go to museums or something on my off time.
>>
Currently in grad school for religious studies
>>
File: 1392840865353.jpg (142 KB, 455x459) Image search: [Google]
1392840865353.jpg
142 KB, 455x459
>>422061
>actually pays a decent salary
heavily implying
>>
>>421871
How would you define top?
The university I currently attend is consistently ranked in the world top 100 in all the rankings I've seen.
The closest ranking American Universities on either side are Vanderbilt and Emory.

Is that what you consider top tier? Or should I be aiming higher?
>>
>>422418
If you're Irish then you won't have debt either, so his comment is kind of redundant.
>>
>>422425
I'm not actually by citizenship, and at the moment I'm a foreign student in the netherlands.

But I have enough saved for a masters and for the Phd i've seen quite a few english language courses in germany and the netherlands with funding.
Also I plan on looking at some us institutions, I heard Colombia regularly fully funds phd students in all fields.
And I'd like to take a job teaching/ doing research as part of the program, which I hear is often standard for funding.

Any experience in applying for funding and a phd program when it comes to it?
>>
>>422467
>Any experience in applying for funding and a phd program when it comes to it?
none at all. I'm in this thread to learn. Ideally I'd love to go into academia too. Are you in that international studies course in Leiden?
>>
>>422498
nah, the arts and culture program in maastricht
Thankfully it isn't really about art, it's more of a mistranslation of cultuurwetenschappen, which is more like Culture science.

And then majored in politics.
>>
>>421871
This guy is right. Listen to him. I had to fund one year of my grad education (the first year) and left around the 6th year with only a Masters. I'll be paying for that year for a long time and my job prospects are shitty. Only worth it if you get full funding.
>>
>>422072
Good field, but sadly ultra-academic in the sense that it's hard to find a non academic job
>>
At most schools I've been to History has mostly been a degree either used as padding by ROTC cadets before they went and became commissioned, or taken up by a small minority of social justice types who are active members of social activist clubs and weirdly historically illiterate about everything that happened outside of the US or before the 1920s-1970s
>>
>>422108
The only thing I was heavily implying is "fuck archaeology, I'm selling out"
>>
>>418731
yeah, sad but true, i actually like the construction of language, but i'd consider myself totally useless if i didn't spoke another. So something like a bit of both.
>>
>>422061
i know that feel man, archaeology sounds really interesting from the outside, but once you get to know it it kinda sucks
>>
>>423168

"Selling out" is kind of an adolescent mindset. There are academic critical social theorists who still have this kind of attitude going on, but by and large the entire idea is the purview of wannabe starving artists and people who desperately want to continue their teenage punk rock phase into adulthood. Most grown folks recognize that a modicum of discerning respect for authority and the ability to work in a group aren't the soul destroying vortex their younger selves might have imagined.
>>
I'm getting my BA in History and a BA in Education..major teaching area Social Studies/History and minor teaching area English. So yeah, I'm taking the teaching route.
>>
File: 1408741493101.jpg (42 KB, 444x604) Image search: [Google]
1408741493101.jpg
42 KB, 444x604
Got a BA in Philosophy. Went into the economic development/environment service in Local Government.
>>
Have a Bsc in Public Administration and an LL.B in tax law. Would love to do a PhD in tax law combined with some philsophy,economy and history. The philosophical backgrounds of taxation theory have always interested me
>>
>>407656
>B.A. in history
>while ROTC
>commission as National Guard officer
>get into Theological Seminary
>become Chaplain Candidate
>graduate with M.Div
>get ordination
>become National Guard chaplain
>teach high school history full time, probably at a private Christian school

This is what my track is looking like. The good thing about it is that if you want to do something a little different in the Army, other soldiers and your superiors will help you any way they can. I'm more interested in the academic side of things (perhaps Biblical history) rather than the practical ministry side, but I'll go wherever God pushes me.

That's the thing you really have to be set on; that no matter where you end up you will do your best and get what you can out of wherever you are.
>>
In uni right now for history. Trying to see if I can use it to get involved in politics.
>>
How to get job in humanities if autist (in either actual sense or otherwise) who cannot into making acquaintances or networking
>>
>>427557
>>427557
i know this feel all to well
>>
>>427557

If your family has family friends, it's possible to get a job through networking. If you're attending a college or university see if they have any opportunities available. etc.
>>
I work security at an art museum, does that count?
>>
>>427143

Try to look for opportunities to intern with an elected/appointed official in your area.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.