[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do concepts exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: i object.jpg (57 KB, 793x299) Image search: [Google]
i object.jpg
57 KB, 793x299
do concepts exist?
>>
>>407489
Haven't you read any plato
>>
File: Sam.png (895 KB, 920x2492) Image search: [Google]
Sam.png
895 KB, 920x2492
>>407489
Quick, before they come.
>>
>>407489
Yes, in the sense that feelings, numbers, logic, laws and shit exist.
>>
>>407489
As brain states? Definitely.
In their own ontological realm separate from the natural world? Nah, that's ignant ideals.
>>
>>407489
A concept is not a thing in itself, but rather a cause which can be applied to create things.
>>
>>407489
Not as objects, but a sediments of objects on the mind.
>>408554
>concepts are brain states
In the same way that bits of code are machine states, maybe. Which they aren't, btw.
>>
File: 785176863_357087.gif (426 KB, 353x400) Image search: [Google]
785176863_357087.gif
426 KB, 353x400
>>407489
>>
>>408554
What is a 'brain state'?
>>
>>407489
I have concepts for things in my mind therefore concepts exist, in my mind else how would I have them.
>>
>>408758
Well what do you mean when you say you 'have' (what kind of relation?) 'them' (what kind of thing?) 'in' (that sounds like a spatial position) 'your mind' (that suggest a difference between you and your mind)?
>>
>>408695
is blingee a spook?
>>
>>408780
>have
Have means they are mine.
>them
concepts, as implied by the previous part of the sentence, learn reading comphrehension
>in
in doesnt have to be spatial, also concepts are my thoughts and thought happen in the mind, its not like they are outside the mind, how would that make any sense.
>difference between you and your mind
if i say i have a tumour in my lung that that imply theres a difference between me and my lung? I give you 3/10 for trying
>>
>>409246
>Have means they are mine
That doesn't mean much, and is also in all likelyhood false: if anything, your mind is the kind of mind that is structured by these concepts.
>concepts, as implied by the previous part of the sentence, learn reading comphrehension
My question was, what kind of thing do you think concepts are, besides your abstract notion of them as things you possess?
>in doesnt have to be spatial
It really does, otherwise it's a sloppy metaphor, which I asked you to clarify.
>if i say i have a tumour in my lung that that imply theres a difference between me and my lung?
Of course there is, you could have a different lung and still be you. Now, could you 'have' a different mind and still be you?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.