[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has the Quran ever been proven wrong (as in, different texts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
Has the Quran ever been proven wrong (as in, different texts in the same style could be written)? Because that sounds relatively easy to do, yet it hasn't apparently happened in half a century.
>>
>>406098
Pretty much every single 'holy' book has been proven wrong. The believers don't care, thats why you call them believers.
>>
>>406112
The Quran is the only holy book that claims to be the direct word of God and that says "ok, do this simple thing and it'll prove me wrong". Hence why I'm making this thread.

But thank you for your euphoric reply nonetheless.
>>
>>406133
>>406112
also if you're not shitposting and actually serious about it having been disproven that way, I'd like a source please, otherwise it doesn't really help me
>>
>>406133
The Quran is only subjectively a work of great literature. When I've read it I've found it to be singularly unimpressive.
>>
>>406153
You read it in Arabic, correct?

I can't read it so I can't comment, but it doesn't answer my question either. I also doubt no one bothered to try, what's with the fact it spawned a major cult.
>>
>>406098
Well, there are some qurans that have 114 chapters and some have 116 chapters
>>
>>406163
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91AM7665cbo
A bit more explaination (i know the video is childish and retarded)
>>
What the hell does that mean exactly. What's so extroidinarily unique about how the Quran is written?
>>
>>406194
It transcends the Arabic language, allegedly
http://www.hamzatzortzis.com/essays-articles/exploring-the-quran/the-inimitable-quran/
>>
>>406133
No it isn't. Paul said that if Christ did not raise from the dead, then Christians are to be pitied above all other people.

Why are you lying on the internet to defend Islam? Are you a member of Isis?
>>
>>406194
Nothing really, but one of the supposed miracles of the Quran is that it is the single most excellent work of poetry, far beyond what any human could have produced, therefore Muhammad didn't compose it and it comes directly from Allah.

Of course, if you're culturally primed to believe that a given work is the greatest work of poetry in existence, you will often subjectively evaluate it that way. It's some pretty basic psychology and good marketing on the part of whoever came up with the designation.
>>
it only even survived in the first place because of just how well it was worded, as the nomadic arabic tribes got off on poetry

if muhammad wasn't such a great poet to the extent that his poetry HAD to be inspired by god, he would have been ignored and then lost to history
>>
>>406098

> “Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.” (Quran 11:13)

Let's say I ask around various Muslim religious authorities and get an idea of what it would mean to recreate a surah of the same quality as the Qur'an. Then I create some advanced computer program that produces ten surahs as best it can under those guidelines.

Would any of those religious authorities then accept my surah as being equal to the Qur'an? No, of course not. They would invent new reasons why it isn't. This is because they are starting with the axiom that the Qur'an is irreproducible and arguing from there.

So there's really no point in making any sort of argument. Muslims will continue in their belief and non-Muslims will continue in theirs.
>>
>>406237
That would be an interesting experiment. Take some genuine verses and mix them together with computer-generated fakes, and have the listeners subjectively rate them on their poetic value. You could have some genuines presented as fakes, and some fakes presented as genuines, and see how that affects the scores also.

Though nobody would accept the results if they weren't conducted in ancient Arabic, and obviously anyone who has spent the time learning ancient Arabic already has the Quran memorized.
>>
I haven't read the entire Quran but it's pretty similar to the book of Mormon in "poetic quality". I guess I haven't read it in arabic though so they can always pull that card.
>>
>>406213
What
I'm talking about a book in the Bible saying the Bible is god-written. It's not the case.

>>406294
The Quran only exists in Arabic though. Any translation stops being the Quran.

>>406237
That's a really smart idea.
Beliefs that can be contradicted easily and objectively with facts should be eradicated. See shit like scientology.
>>
By all accounts pre-Islamic poetry is better (IE, the pagan Imru' al-Qais).

It's sort of like saying the Bible is "the best poetry ever". I mean yeah, when Yahweh himself says "Think this is awesome or I will hurt you" then you kind of have to be a yes man regardless of the actual quality of it, but it's also in an uncommon dialect and taking it out of the dialect just mangles everything.

The whole "Muhammed flew to the moon on a donkey, cut it in half, then sewed it back together" thing and the "The earth is flat" are kind of indications that it's not the word of Yahweh though.
>>
>>406266
>>406321

It's more of a thought experiment than anything. The complexity of the program required to create entire coherent surahs like that doesn't exist yet as far as I know.

My point, though, I think is still valid. If I had the power to wipe memories I could literally tear out a chapter of the Qur'an, wipe people's memories of it ever existing, put it in front of them, and they would find reasons to say it isn't equal.
>>
>>406163
No there not.

Also if your referring to the Satanic verses those are not real.
>>
>>406366
The technology might not exist yet, but you could probably do a reasonable approximation of it by statistical analysis of word order and frequency, and have that data guide a poet-scholar pair. Barring that, you might try some pre-Islamic pagan poetry or translations of Homer, though obviously you would need to be careful about which verses you pick or else the content would tip people off.

Nobody would accept the results because the test would be really difficult to conduct in ancient Arabic, but it would still be incredibly interesting.
>>
>>406321
Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. -Revelation 1:11
>>
>>406294
>I haven't read the entire Quran but it's pretty similar to the book of Mormon in "poetic quality"
Adults are talking, American.
>>
>>407124
Yes? That's the book of Apocalypse. It doesn't apply to the Bible as a whole
>>
>>407184
I'm Canadian.
>>
>>406098
Because it's was an abjad with no vocalization marks during the first hundred years the Quran was written, there's some disagreement over how certain verses were pronounced.

Also, some very early quranic manuscripts (pre-uthman) discovered in yemen differ greatly from the "standard Quran".

It's a book, and people fuck up. Arabic had a crippled writing system from the get-go, and it's surprising that they've managed to stick to an agreed manuscript for so long.
>>
>>409761
It's because there was a strong central authority from the get-go, and there WERE alternate versions, which they collected and burned.
>>
Check out Why I am not a Muslim, by Ibn Warraq, he brings up examples of historical and grammatical errors in the Quoran.
>>
>>408500
>book of the apocalypse

you mean the book of nero is a dick and parthia is scary
>>
It was proven to be wrong like hundreds of times.
Just google contradictions in Quran.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.