[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hell does this country exist Out of all the European
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 2000x1429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 2000x1429
Why the hell does this country exist
Out of all the European countries that seem to be randomly placed, this one seems to be the most out-of-place
>>
>>405258
if celts somehow survived why not illyrians?
>>
>>405258
the country is not out of place, not even the people, but the culture is out of place. when ottomans came they subjugated the albanians to basically be their house servants providing them with women and children. the albanian society became so tied to the ottoman culture through this symbiosis and islamisation that today the country is more ottoman middle eastern than european, aswell as their culture and mentality is.
>>
File: Srpska_osvajanja_1912.png (65 KB, 387x559) Image search: [Google]
Srpska_osvajanja_1912.png
65 KB, 387x559
>>405258
The powers that be were really keen on letting it exist for some reason. Even the Greek parts in the south.
>>
>>405258
Why wouldn't it exist? In a world dominated by nation states, why wouldn't one expect the Albanians to have the same?

That being said, Greece should probably be given back some of that southern Greek-majority clay.
>>
>>405565
But like
Who the fuck ever are albanians
>>
>>405575
a lot of great people come from Albania or have Albanian heritage.
It is a Muslim european country. Muslim and european, very secular, which went through 40 years of North-Korea-like communist dictatorship. It is full of crime now and a lot of Albanians went to Switzerland Italy and Germany.
The sea is beautiful now because during Enver Hoxha regime there wasn't the 'mega-condos-on-th-beach' so common in capitalist countries like Spain or Italy.
This is one of the few good aspects of Hoxha regime.
>>
>>405258
Albanians are the oldest nation in Europe next to the Basques.
>>
File: 1438931564989.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1438931564989.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>405587
>a lot of great people come from Albania or have Albanian heritage
>>
>>405575
A couple of natives mixed up with the lowest Turkish scum.
>>
>>405594
Yes, the great ancient albanian empire ruled the world with their army of dinosaurs.
>>
File: Mohammed Ali.jpg (28 KB, 460x275) Image search: [Google]
Mohammed Ali.jpg
28 KB, 460x275
>>405587
>a lot of great people come from Albania or have Albanian heritage.
There was only one great Albanian...
>>
i've known a lot of albanians in my life

they're like fucking gypsies. they constantly steal shit and get in fights, and every single one i know has been in court multiple times for all types of shit. i can't think of one that doesn't have a criminal record. it's fucking astounding.
>>
>>405575
think about the worst things from serbian culture, and then think about the worst things from islamic culture

mix them into a pot and you have albanians
>>
File: mark-twain.jpg (110 KB, 510x505) Image search: [Google]
mark-twain.jpg
110 KB, 510x505
>>405634
keep it civil m8, you have /pol and /int for that crap.
>>
>>405667
>the worst of Serbian culture
All of it
>the worst of ottoman culture
All of it
>>
>>405626
Ataturk, Skanderbeg ...
>>
>>405667
>>405712
you mean bosnian muslims.

albanians are not slavs, nor do they speak a slavic language let alone serbian.
>>
>>405258
Not much is known about them, they were probably descended from some obscure illyrian mountain tribes, or maybe a unique group of people. They appeared in history in the late middle ages when they were led by skanderbeg against the ottomans.
>>
>>405768
>Ataturk
He wasn't albanian.
>>
>>405781
I read somewhere he was of Albanian origin.
>>
>>405774
Serbs are not Slavs, they are slavified Albanians.
>>
>>405258
I once met a really hot Albanian girl at a party called Rona. She liked me and I fucked it up.

went something like
>grinding on dancefloor
>caught her eye and smiled
>went outside together
>she told me she was albanian, I'm a history undergrad. I was so shocked and drunk
>she saw my face
>she left
>>
>>405258

Its very simple, they are Muslims, and in those days that meant you were Turkish, after the Ottoman Empire lost its Balkan territory it was cut off from the Turks, now, the Albanians aren't Turks, but nationality didn't matter, and with the Albanians it practically didn't exist until Hoxha. The only reason they even exist today is because Austria wanted to deny Serbia a coast. This was the start of the Balkan wars as Serbia now refused to give Macedonia to Bulgaria. Shortly after the Albanians became an Italian protectorate, and started a massive revisionist ideology of the great Illyrian people to lay claim to their land. Even though they didn't even resist the Serbs when they were occupied. Because of their difference from the other Balkan countries, that are mostly Slavic, and Orthodox, apart from Greece, they are an easy tool for the great powers to use. Its happening today as Albania, is more a less an American protectorate, Kosovo on the other hand is literally a US military base.
>>
File: Grupi Komunist i Korces.jpg (362 KB, 1189x825) Image search: [Google]
Grupi Komunist i Korces.jpg
362 KB, 1189x825
There's a 1920s Albania forum game, FYI: http://z13.invisionfree.com/eRegime/index.php?act=idx
>>
>>406279
She probably left because you were a history major.

Jokes aside, Albanian girls are hot
>>
The thing that puzzles me it's their language.
Like, it seems slavic but it isn't, you would expect some latin influences but there are not so many and Wikipedia puts the Albanian language in its own branch of proto-european languages.
>>
>>405587
>capitalist countries like spain or italy
>>
>>407156
Are you arguing that Spain and Italy after WWII weren't capitalist? Or that fascism is somehow incompatible with capitalism?
>>
>>407134

Slavs haven't lived in the Balkans forever; Albanians are descended from the peoples who were there before the Slavs, such as Illyrians, Thracians, and Dacians.
>>
File: 1448613080018.jpg (18 KB, 400x365) Image search: [Google]
1448613080018.jpg
18 KB, 400x365
>>405624
Fucking lold
>>
>>405587
t. Zog Skanderbeg
>>
>>406525
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_army%27s_retreat_through_Albania

Its not that they didnt try ;)
>>
>>405781
His father was Albanian.
>>406525
But there are proofs that link albanians to Illyrians both culturally and Linguistically.
>>
File: Bilingual_signs.jpg (80 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
Bilingual_signs.jpg
80 KB, 533x400
>>406525
he is right
I'd also like to point out (I am >>405587 )
that after the Ottoman conquest of Albania, a lot of Orthodox (or Eastern Catholic) Albanians fleed as refugees to southern Italy.
Now we have places in Italy in which people actually speak an ancient Albanian Language, called Arbereshe.
I have some distant Arbereshe heritage because Ia m a sicilyfag. It is impressive to go into a little town and see road sign in Arbereshe.
As my m8 >>406525 said, Italian colonization of Albania under the Fascism was not cruel (surely less cruel than Ethiopia and Lybia where Italians were almost genocidal) and it affected greatly Albanian culture. Most of Albanians talk Italian nowadays because they have Italian tv channels since like 20 years.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.