[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Africa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
Can any Afro/his/ explain to me where it all went wrong?
Africa had wealthy, organized, and technologically decent empires. I would even argue that Europe only surpassed it around the 1500s or so. So why could the Europeans just march in and do what they wanted?
>>
Timbulku maniscript were made by north african or /and when Timbuktu was under north african rule.

It's an maghrebian achievment, if it's one.
>>
File: timbultu.png (49 KB, 716x1088) Image search: [Google]
timbultu.png
49 KB, 716x1088
>>40400
Pic related.
>>
>>40360
>Parts of Africa had wealthy, organized, and technologically decent empires. I would even argue that Europe only surpassed them around the 1500s or so
Fixed that for you.

A great deal of Africa simply isn't conducive to the natural spread of civilization.
>>
European divide and conquer. The same happened in Asia, but probably less violently and they were able to recover.
>>
Grecco-Roman and Islamic influence. Literal "niggers from nigger Africa" have only occasionally gotten out of the stone age on their own momentum and even then usually briefly.

>inb4 someone brings up Jared Diamond
>>
>>40478
>>40474
What about the Empires that didn't collapse? Timbuku might have collapsed, but another one ought to have taken it's place nearby.
>>40508
That's what I'm asking. Why was it that much easier to carve up Africa than Asia?
>>
Colonization fucked up everything that wasn't Ethiopia.
WW2 and then Communism fucked up Ethiopia.
>>
>>40779
>fucked up

Being colonized was the best thing to ever happen to most of Africa; many places went from literal prehistory to a standard of living approaching the first world in the span of less than two centuries.
>>
>>40779
>colonization fucked up everything
>infrastructure, laws, medicine and education are fucking everything up now

North Africa was the only place that developed significantly, sub Saharan Africa, due to the environment and people has never developed anywhere close to then the level of North Africa. Cry harder though.
>>
File: africa.jpg (100 KB, 1866x285) Image search: [Google]
africa.jpg
100 KB, 1866x285
/thread
>>
>>40779
On Ethiopia, it probably goes back further.

Axum (Aksum, etc.) was among the 4 greatest empires in the ancient world due to their favorable trade position. Even further, some argue that centralized religion, like the introduction of Christianity supported a strong Ethiopian nation-state.

What changed everything was Islam. After beating back their attempt at conquest in 640 (At the cost of what is today Yemen and Oman), Aksum was then isolated from the rest of the Christian world, namely Europe. They were also cut off from the east as the Arabs took control of the Red Sea. From there on out, Aksum was this island of Christianity in the ever expanding sea of Islam. Being cut off from Europe for centuries inevitably denied them the trade (Which included technology, and other valuables) that led so many lesser European states to success. This was compounded by the same climate change that laid waste to Sudan and hurt Egypt.

Brief contact was re-established with Christian Europe throughout the 13th-18th century, but Ethiopia, already Orthodox, heavily resisted the catholic influence of Rome.

>This is all hearsay so feel free to correct me

I do wonder though, if Ethiopia had maintained consistent contact with Europe, would they have, in turn, flourished? Would Ethiopia have expanded deeper into Africa, or would classical central African diseases have kept them out, like it did the Europeans?
>>
>>40957
>Would Ethiopia have expanded deeper into Africa, or would classical central African diseases have kept them out, like it did the Europeans?
Most likely diseases would have kept them out. I see little economic initiative to expand into plague-ridden lands. Although, Christianity might have become the dominant religion there instead of Islam due to Ethiopian missionaries and a stronger economic presence. I can, however, see a more powerful Ethiopia expanding along the East African coast and Sudan and maybe even into Arabia.
>>
File: 1425178277828.jpg (305 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1425178277828.jpg
305 KB, 1600x1067
>>
>>40957
>This was compounded by the same climate change that laid waste to Sudan and hurt Egypt.

I've never heard about that, but it seems interesting. Got any more information about it?
>>
File: Tuareg_area[1].png (11 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
Tuareg_area[1].png
11 KB, 400x395
>>40474
why did you label 'autonomous settlement' as north african? Timbuktu was founded by Tuareg who are a mixed Sahelian and North African people.
>>
>>40400
>Timbulku maniscript were made by north african or /and when Timbuktu was under north african rule.

also the manuscripts were being pumped out throughout Timbuktu's history. It's dishonest to claim "they were made when it was under NA rule", a more accurate statement would be "the earliest ones were made during Tuareg rule.
>>
>>42141
https://books.google.ca/books?id=Q0pZPp032c0C#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book makes the initial claim.
I'm sure a bit of digging in Google will find you more info.
>>
>>42268
>Sahelian
sorry, meant saharan
>>
>>40835
This is a skewed view of Africa, friend.

Colonialism was the biggest detriment to African progress. European underdevelopment of the continent has left it in the hole that is is in today.
>>
>>40835
>>42408

The colonization brought straight borders cut on a map with no regard for the local circumstances leading to almost endless conflict in major parts of Africa.

>This is hearsay, correct me if I'm wrong

t. not the guy who wrote about Ethiopia
>>
>>42268
That's extremely inaccurate, the basis of Sahelian civilization stems from Nilo-Saharan Toubou with Kanem.

Tuareg and Fulani stem from Berber-Nilo Saharan-Bantu Garamante.
>>
>>40360
>Africa had wealthy, organized, and technologically decent empires.
No it didn't.
>>
>>40957
>Axum (Aksum, etc.) was among the 4 greatest empires in the ancient world due to their favorable trade position.
I hate this meme
>>
>>42853
Yeah, it gets pretty stale after 1753 years.
>>
File: 1415402717451.jpg (257 KB, 1140x876) Image search: [Google]
1415402717451.jpg
257 KB, 1140x876
>>40400
>>
With the exception of North Africa and Ethiopia, Africa's huge deserts and rainforests meant warfare and trade across several kingdoms and empires was almost impossible and warfare and trade was what made Europe and to some extent, the Middle East, more advanced and superior. Also, the majority of Africa had no interaction with Ancient Indian and Persian civilizations and had no interaction with the Roman empire
>>
>>43486
story?
>>
>>42408
>European underdevelopment of the continent has left it in the hole that is is in today.
This the dumbest talking point, the resources pourded into Africa after WW2 is immense. All of the scandinavian countries had 1-2% budged spending on charity. Every year since 1990 Norway has donated more than 100 million NOK to Tanzania, the last t decaded is has useually been around 400 million. This is just from the statebudget, there are also priavte charities that donate sveral million every year in equipment, volunteers, food etc. Then there are the donations from all the other european countries, nort america and the developed asian counties.

https://www.frieord.no/innenriks/norge-i-verdenstoppen-i-bistand-gir-32-milliarder-kroner/
>>
File: 1445909974924.gif (437 KB, 255x145) Image search: [Google]
1445909974924.gif
437 KB, 255x145
>>42581
so, multiculturalism doesn't work then.
>>
>>44109
That didn't do much to counteract the damage already done, much of the money donated was for slums that were only created due to colonialism. For example, Kibera is one of the biggest slums in the world and it was started by Sudanese soldiers who were literally just left there by the British. Also, most countries were "uncolonised" quite carelessly and recklessly with left a lot of political instability, leading to dictatorships, civil wars, endless coups, warlords, etc. This also lead to horrible situations such as the Partition of India in which millions of Hindus and Sikhswhere expelled from and killed by Muslims in Pakistan.
>>
>>44152
M8 multiculturalism actually has historical precedent and has been proven to be possible as long as there are no outside influences (like radicalism in Saudi funded wahabi mosques)
>>
>>40360
Once Europeans shifted away from slaves as a luxury good and toward slaves as essential equipment for the plantation schema they turned on former allies like Angola and started supporting less civilized/stable African tribes in attacks/slave raids against the kingdoms. The cultural core of Africa got eviscerated then replaced by European tyranny which meant that after decolonization there was no real cultural basis to build on.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.