[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical events that no one talks about but influenced history
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: bonshinwar.jpg (243 KB, 1065x515) Image search: [Google]
bonshinwar.jpg
243 KB, 1065x515
Historical events that no one talks about but influenced history more than people think.
I'll start.

Boshin war.
Just imagine how irrelevant Japan would have if the Shogunate won.
>>
File: feetstuckonspear.png (107 KB, 380x332) Image search: [Google]
feetstuckonspear.png
107 KB, 380x332
lol dis nigga must have had a bad time

>be imperial infantry
>get charged by tokugawa yari cavalry
>spear penetrates lower leg
>samurai pulls up spear
>you go up, feel several Gs, the pain of a spear in a highly sensitive part of the body
>cavalry continues to charge
>you get dragged arround the battefield because your foot is stuck to a spear
>people run over you, a horse steps on your elbow, knee gets shot, etc

rip in pepperoni
>>
File: 03.jpg (4 MB, 5512x2520) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
4 MB, 5512x2520
Iran-Iraq War. It set the stage for the 1990-91 Gulf War, radicalized the Iranian regime, relaunched Iran's nuclear program, and Western military presence in the Gulf was strengthened (navies guarding ships in the Gulf during the war, and Gulf monarchies negotiating big arms deals).
>>
>>401088
The shogunate was not anti-modernization or anti-western.
>>
If this faggot was aborted then the Cold War would never have happened. The US would just nuke the living fuck of the USSR then everyone else. Only America would have nukes. Nobody else should have nukes.

>>401108
>what is tokugawa shogunate
>who is tokugawa iemitsu
>who are the tozama daimyos
>what is tokugawa ban on trade
>what is operation kanagawa
>>
>>401124
Irrelevant to the context of this discussion. At the time of the Boshin War it was in fact the Imperialists who accused the Shogunate of being too pro-western, degenerating japanese values etc.

Of course when they got into power they more or less continued the policies of the Shogunate in terms of how they dealt with the West.
>>
>>401185
>"historical evidence, documents, evidence, etc, that support a claim widely considered as truth among historians is irrelevant to the discussion"
>"the fact that the enemies of the shogunate threw rhetoric at them is evidence the shogunate was wrong!"

You're embarassing yourself.
>>
>>401101

>i should have stayed in bed
>>
>>401088
Oh yeah with Tom Cruise
>>
>>401124
Nah bro even the Shogunate realised that unless Japan modernised they were going to end up like China in some way or the other. It was mostly samurai clans that were really anti-western and even the Satsuma clan spent the decade before the rebellion trying to create one of Japan's first modern navies.

http://www.ndl.go.jp/france/en/introduction/s1.html
>>
>>401101
kek
>>
>>401088
Battle of Talas. The Muslims managed to capture Chinese paper makers and thereby learned paper-making techniques. Eventually those techniques spread to Europe.
>>
>>401101
Chuckled.
>>
>>401088

Kublai Khan - Ariq Böke war. Sedentary vs Nomadic.

Imagine if the Mongols stayed nomadic and only collected taxes/tribute from it settled population (ala the golden horde). Every so often they would have to decimate a city but people would be happy enough paying taxes, their kings would be locals (mongols would keep them honest) etc. Leave the mongol army free to conquer as they wish without having to garrison the entire continent. The mongols would stay tough, strong warriors.

I dont think its a coincidence that the two settled Ulus' were the first to get overthrown by locals.
>>
>>401124

I'm glad he stole the nukes and gave it to the Soviets. I would not want to live in any world where there's only one nuclear power. Especially not US.
>>
>>401101
Poor bastard
>>
>>402122
And also spread Islam to Central and South Asia.

Imagine if the Tang army had won...the 'Muslim' world as we know it would be radically Daoist.
>>
>>401088
>Historical events that no one talks about but influenced history more than people think.

Chinese Civil War.

Could have change the geopolitics of the entire Asia region and the outcome of the Cold War.
>>
>>403605
>I would not want to live in any world where there's only one nuclear power.

Fair enough. I'm American and even I don't like to think about what we would've gotten up to with an unstoppable bomb and dirty Commies on the horizon.

> Especially not US.

You're either shitposting, Russian, both, or a deluded Marxist. What other nuclear power would you have be the singular force? I don't think there's any good answer, but I think the US is by far the least bad of the possibilities. Would you want Stalinist USSR, that was only too happy to roll through Eastern Europe as it was? China? Maybe if it was France of England that were the only ones with the bomb, I'd be ok with a unipolar nuclear world, but a) I don't think they were ever close to developing it on their own, and b) I could definitely see some hotheads deciding some bombs were just what was needed to right the situation as their colonial empires disintegrated post-WW2.
>>
>>403400
Yeah, but they were only able to decimate cities because they incorporated siege soldier and tech that required a settled civilization to back them up. If you go pure nomadic, you can take maybe take down low-tech shit-princedoms like the Rus', but any proper city will turtle up and see who starves first.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.