[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Colonial africa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Lets talk about Colonial Africa
What happened culturally, technological, and politically during this period and how did the local populous react? How did people in the colonial cities fair? Did the European migrants take interest in African culture? Ignoring Belgian Congo, how were they treated?
Pls no Rhodesia posting.
>>
Africa, a Voyage of Discovery, episode 6
https://youtu.be/ytgacA-R8N4
>>
File: zcolonialismrace.jpg (38 KB, 507x420) Image search: [Google]
zcolonialismrace.jpg
38 KB, 507x420
>>401085
>Pls no Rhodesia posting.
I'd appreciate some insight into pre-UDI (Southern) Rhodesia
>>
>>401100
Ok, thats fine, but I hate how most threads about Africa are Pro-colonialist whining about how "the dirty revolutionary peasants" revolted against "the happy peaceful advanced ruling class" in Rhodesia
We get it, Something bad happened. What more is there to discuss?
>>
>>401097
thanks man
>>
>>401168
It's a good series. Episode 2 is my favorite.
>>
Germany committed their first genocide. To be fair, it was merely thousands of people and it can be more comparable to the Armenian genocide then that of the Jews if only for the fact most of the Herero died from starvation and dehydration from displacement, not directly at the hands of Germans.

From what little I know about the situation it seems like the violence started with the Herero after they rebelled over implementation of European policies regarding owning property. Seems like a similar situation to the Israeli settlements in Palestine.
>>
Who was the most benevolent colonizer?
>>
>>401508
I'd say France.
At least they had the IDEA that they were people, and not just meat-bots. Its shows in places like reuinion and their other island colonies, though, they consisted less of Africans and more of Indian imports for the most part.
They were still "colonizers" though, so they still fucked it up enough that they cant really be called "Benevolent"
>>
>>401553
>france
>benevolent
Their current policy towards former colonies is to keep them as puppet states sucking their dick.
>>
>>402770
That's current policy - this thread about historical Colonial Africa

All I know is the church was heavily involved (education and missionary activity) and most infrastructure was built either for natural resource transportation or imperialist pomp (the Cairo-Cape Town telegraph line)
>>
>>401508

I don't think many can argue a country besides France. They at least adopted the idea of assimilation for their colonies despite its half-assed application.
>>
>>402788
There was actually some effort to involve the Africans not just in local government, but the the French government. They actually had some African ministers after WWII.
>>
>>403160

There was a Senegalese man who served in Parliament before and during WWI. His name was mother fucking Blaise too.
>>
>>401508
It, like usual, is france
>>
>>401100
Excuse the terrible sound quality, but this is one of the best/only documentaries on the entire Federation. The next episode is just Rhodesia, though mostly after the UDI. The entire series is great in general.
>>
>>403672
link would be good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZbPTDZAM4o
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.