[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How great was Ayuttaya Empire?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: K12886613-1.jpg (188 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
K12886613-1.jpg
188 KB, 700x525
How powerful would Thailand be today if Ayuttaya was not destroyed in the Burmese invasion?
>>
>>400689
chinese refugees defined thailand and burma not ayuttaya
>>
>>402670
What.
>>
>>402701
I think he's referring to the Chinese Diaspora in Southeast Asia that essentially was and still remains the de facto ruling class. Heck even today Thailand's Monarchy is descended from the Chinese.
>>
>>402710
That's complete bullshit though.
>>
>>402716
How so?
>>
>>402724
China never had much direct impact on Southeast Asia before modern times. Most of Southeast Asian civilization was derived from India and carried by the natives of each country. Thai civilization itself is derived from Angkor, which adopted its culture from Java and India.

Chinese influence in Southeast Asia was and is mostly mercantile; basically they're the Jews of the region. They never had any real cultural or political impact. The Thai monarchy is definitely not Chinese.

Vietnam is the only exception, since its civilization is derived from China rather than India and it's culturally East Asian, though even in their case they were never just dominated completely by the Chinese. The adopted culture from them in the same way the Koreans and Japanese did.
>>
It would still be irrelevant for anything other than sex tourism.
>>
>>402744
>The Thai monarchy is definitely not Chinese.

Except it is. Feel free to search it up if you don't believe me. In fact historically almost all Southeast Asian Kingdoms were either controlled by chinese/part-chinese monarchies or tributary states to China. Culturally Southeast Asia was more impacted by India, but China had considerable influence in the region.
>>
>>402784
I'm Thai, and this is rather true. Southeast Asian culture is very Indic, but we are definately in the East Asian Sphere of influence. East Asian facial features are more admired than ethnic more Indo-Austonesian features. We associate East Asia with class, and look up to China even though China has a lower HDI than Thailand.
>>
>>402784
>>402940
What the hell are you on about? No Southeast Asian dynasty was Chinese, that is utter bullshit. China had no more than symbolic influence outside of Vietnam. What modern Thais think of China has nothing to do with this.
>>
>>402967
I don't know about the Malay Archepelago, but in mainland Southeast Asia, China does have great I influence. Thai, Cambodian, and Burmese kings all have partial Chinese ancestry. Chinese influence is rather recent though. From about 500~300 years ago
>>
>>402967
"The Thai Chinese have been deeply ingrained into all elements of Thai society over the past 200 years. The present Thai royal family, the Chakri Dynasty, was founded by King Rama I who himself was partly Chinese. His predecessor, King Taksin of the Thonburi Dynasty, was the son of a Chinese immigrant from Guangdong Province and a Thai mother."

Many Southeast Asian countries were ruled by Chinese or part-Chinese families. Not to mention the Kongsi Federations such as the Lanfang Republic.

I'm not sure why your getting so upset over this. I'm not implying anything about the Suotheast Asians. I mean virtually all the advanced architecture and culture was created by the native Southeasterners. I'm simply asserting the fact that the Chinese have historically dominated Southeast Asian politics.
>>
>>400689
Even if they were able to conquer the Burmese, they would still be fucked.

They were sandwiched between a succession of equally powerful states in the East, Srivijaya if they expanded South, and the strongest parts of the Mughals in the West.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.