[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Colonialism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Was it good or bad?
Personally, I'm mixed on the African colonization, but the American colonization was definably just Europeans crushing civilizations and tribes for their own benefit.
>>
>>40023
>good or bad
History doesn't deal with "oughts" it deals with "is"es. "Oughts" is the proper domain of politics. Fuck off back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>40023
What would Europe be if not for colonization of the Americas? It'd continue to batter itself into poverty and strife, as well as keep an entire collection of cultures isolated from the exchange of ideas (and a few diseases that killed hundreds of thousands) that we value today.

I think colonization was what Europe needed. I'm sorry for the NAs, but nations do what they gotta do to survive. They shouldn't be begrudged it.
>>
Generally good for some, bad for most at the time. But good for people today, due to increased globalization
>>
>>40092
This. Morality has nothing to do with history
>>
>>40092
>>40161
>namefag trying to samefag
good job.
>>
File: image.png (33 KB, 325x217) Image search: [Google]
image.png
33 KB, 325x217
>>40023
Colonization of Africa set up cities, infrastructure, hospitals, Christian missions and ended barbaric practices.
What's bad is the staple genocides in the Congo and Namibia, giving the locals borders based in business dealing and diplomacy in Europe, and the direct minority rule and resulting segregation in Algeria and South Africa.
Otherwise else it organized Africa, and since it was long aftet the enlightenment, the rule was relatively benevolent.

Most of the Americas were just meant to be an extension of Europe. So yes, it was inherently for self gain, but the vas majority of actions taken against the natives were done so by the colonial governments, not the European nations themselves.
See how Canada and the US treated their natives differently, when Canada was under much more direct British rule and the US was an independent country.
>>
>>40219 (You)
Do you realise how namefagging works?
>>
>>40351
>mfw the french parts of my city are now the worst
thanks colonization
>>
>>40436
Yes I know. I just don't think a separate person typed in the same gibberish name and replied to you. You replied to yourself to make it look like people agreed with you, but forgot to remove your name.
>>
>>40219
>>40436
BTFO! Fetch some ice for this burn
>>
>>40482
>french parts of my city
Canada?
>>
>>40559
tunisia
>>
>>40602
neat
Thought Italians always formed the majority of Europeans there.
Are there still many Europeans there?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.