[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What explains the survival of provincial Latin in some places
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Romance_20c_en.png (301 KB, 3355x2372) Image search: [Google]
Romance_20c_en.png
301 KB, 3355x2372
What explains the survival of provincial Latin in some places that eventually developped their own Romance language, but not elsewhere? Later peoples invaions? Differences in province organization/development?

Dalmatia and Pannonia for example were quite developped, and part of Rome for lot of time, while you got Dacia that Romans only held onto for less then 2 centuries. And still theres no Pannonian but theres Romanian.
>>
Actually there was a separate Romance language in Pannonia back in the day, but it got wiped out by Magyars.
>>
because the trojans were a lost tribe of dacians or somesuch, thus they all had more or less the same language
>>
>>399784
Why is Romania not slavic
Like seriously who the fuck are they
>>
>>399784
Because the other latins didn't survive the migrations. The latin language ib former yugoslavia was wiped out by the slavs and the pannonians were wiped out by Magyars. Romanians were conquered often but they managed to keep their culture and language alive.
>>
>>399846
dacia spoke latin
>>
>>399784
romania survived cause it kicked ass bud
>>
>>399884
I don't think their states done the preserving part, there wasn't a Romania until the 1800s and the principalities only emerged in the 1300s and were almost alway vassals to someone. There must be some other pecularity here.
>>
As a Romance speaker (Portuguese) I can recognize several words and get the general gist of what certain sentences are saying. Can Greeks and Germans do the same? How much have their languages changed over time in comparison to Latin?
>>
>>400274
Greek and German are from separate branches, so not much.
>>
Why are there so many Italian languages?
>>
>>402505
because italy has only really been a full country for ~200 years

in the past it's generally been a bunch of vaguely-affiliated states with lots of different cultures and stuff
>>
>>399784
Does Sicilian have any connection to Greek? Dat Magna Graecia
>>
>>402505
Mountainous land = more dialects and diversity in speech.
>>
>>400178
Not actually united but everyone was stubborn as fuck. Spread of Christianity was pretty important too, I guess.
>>
>>400178
All parts spoke the same language, and worked as one.
The leaders of the states were usually brothers throughout history.
>>
File: 266.png (1 MB, 2000x1468) Image search: [Google]
266.png
1 MB, 2000x1468
>>399784
In england, the anglo saxons germanized the locals. In the balkans, the slavs and bulgars slavonized the locals, the rest remains latin.

Though both English and Bulgarian have developed analytical grammar similar to the modern latin languages as opposed to the other germanic and slavic languages which are inflective, this could be from vulgar latin influence.
>>
>>404466
Most Germanic languages are analytical though
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.