[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Great achievements of your family thread. My great grandfat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
Great achievements of your family thread.

My great grandfather sunk Blucher.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Blucher
My grandfather designed/invented the Penguin missile.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_(missile)
>>
My ancestor was the Templars Confanonier at the Battle of Montgisard
>>
File: ZuluShot[1].png (2 MB, 1024x580) Image search: [Google]
ZuluShot[1].png
2 MB, 1024x580
You know my father was at Waterloo. He got his colonelcy after that. And my great-grandfather, he was the johnny who knelt beside Wolfe at Quebec.
>>
File: 1425976309540.png (249 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
1425976309540.png
249 KB, 495x498
You make it sound like they did those things single-handedly.

Why are people from irrelevant countries like Poland, Norway, and Australia always so quick to be obligatorily patriotic about their irrelevant heritage.
>>
my grandma is the queen :)
>>
>>398239
Penguin missile was designed singlehandedly, I recall there were improvements made by a group of people later on. Including my grandfather. Blucher, my great grandfather got the fatal shot.
>>
>>398065
One of my great-Nth-grand-fathers was a German mercenary who fought for Emperor Maximilian.
>>
>>398239
>Poland, Norway, and Australia are irrelevant

And soon you'll be too American :^)
>>
>>398239
In Australia I think we have a kind of patriotism which is taught a lot different than americans which could answer your question

I believe American patriotism is very blind to the culture and countries faults and sometimes even contradicts itself completely. for example conservatives love reagan even though he expanded government and increased national debt by like 190% or something because he did it to 'make america great again' you can even see it now with trump, that guy is literally attacking a founding ideal of the US but people will not care and will vote for him for the idea of making america great

I don't know about those Euro countries but I can tell you in Australia the patriotism is different, we see ourselves as lucky and we believe that our system of democracy is maybe less corrupt and more transparent
our patriotism also takes into account the bad and can even be somewhat ironic

To answer your question, I think the underlying reason so called irrelevant countries enjoy posting about their heritage is the same as anybodies, to feed the ego. I just wanted to shit on America a little bit.
>>
My great grandfather fought in the Scottish Army in WWI. His brother was in the Black Hand.

My grandfather tested nukes out in Nevada during Korea. They caught the cancer a few years back before it really became anything.
>>
>>398390
Australian patriotism is just as superficial and self deluding, don't kid yourself. It completely ignores the many significant negatives such as genocide against the first peoples, xenophobia, embarrassing environmental policies
>>
My father is the general manager at a cracker barrel
>>
>>398518
Is that a hereditary title?
>>
>>398518
Thank you for your service ;_;7
>>
>>398516
no i think you are not correct, I think that sort of patriotism is harshly looked down upon here look at the UPF or the Aus first party

all they get is harsh criticism but we can still carry that identity with us

the common blindness in the face of contradiction is typically an American value
>>
>>398527
>the common blindness in the face of contradiction is typically an American value
It's called cognitive dissonance, and it's typically a human value.
>>
>>398065

My family toiled in the dirt and scraped a meager living from the Earth for generations unknown.

t. peasant
>>
>>398164
Lol! Hysterical.
>>
>>398289
>Penguin missile was designed singlehandedly

Did he design everything by himself? Rocket motor, aerodynamics, airframe, warhead, seeker, software for different launch platforms computers, launch rails for aircraft and launch tubes for surface units and so on... you know, fucking everything. Is he some sort of polymath with dozen different degrees in engineering, chemistry and physics?

I'm starting to suspect staff officer level delusions of self importance or possibly some defense analyst in ministry of defense or random military affiliated think tank, like Pierre fucking Sprey for example.
>>
>>398065
My family owned a lot of slaves in Jamacia and Louisiana

My Great X5 Grandfather was an officer in the Confederate 4th Cavalry but moved to Canada after the war because he lost his livelihood and his home was burned down
>>
My grandfather fled from soviet Russia. That's about it.
>>
A guy with my same surname lead an Italian infantry charge of an unit called "Garibaldi" against Austrians during WW1

btw it's a not common surname

About relatives we did nothing, our country didn't have war they fought on nor invented something, according to my mom my great grandfather was the first to have a ford agency in Argentina and my grandpa send to kill two officers who ask him for money
>>
My grand grandfather was a french soldier at the second Mexican empire, he survived 5 de mayo
>>
My paternal grandfather was a marconist (the gym with the phone backpack who yells for reinforcements), was caught with his unit by the Germans after Italy switched sides and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp in Austria. They were freed by Americans, who gave them a lot of potatoes to eat. As a result nearly everyone died, because binging on food when you're starved is a bad idea. Grandpa was sick and couldn't eat anything, so he survived.

My maternal grandfather was a police captain and among the first to respond to distress calls after the terrorist attack in Milan in 1969 (today's the anniversary) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_Fontana_bombing
>>
>>399156
*guy not gym, typo
>>
File: 220px-Lucius-d-clay-80-87.jpg (13 KB, 220x274) Image search: [Google]
220px-Lucius-d-clay-80-87.jpg
13 KB, 220x274
Related to this crazy, balls the size of bowling balls bastard on my mother side. No explanation needed for what he did. I hear Russian school children still use his image to scare younger children.
>>
My dad beat the shit out of Bill O'Reilly, twice!
>>
My great grandfather was a farmer who got keked by russians
>>
>>398164

"Shall I have my man do your kit?"
>>
>>398065
were the vanderbilts of the lard market in the 40s
kind of inbetween stupid and interesting
>>
I'm a direct blood descendant of William Clark on my mother's side. Other than that and some far-off ties to French aristocracy my bloodline is kind of boring.
>>
File: Bacons-Rebellion-colored.jpg (4 MB, 2187x1500) Image search: [Google]
Bacons-Rebellion-colored.jpg
4 MB, 2187x1500
Supposedly I'm a decedent of Nathaniel Bacon.
>>
>>398065
My great uncle was an important Rabbi in my city, other than that my family is pretty normal.
>>
>>398065
my great uncle did some stuff for some crime organization where he was actually pretty well known to be good at what he did

he died recently but he had some pretty good stories
>>
>>399478
Is your family mad about partially hydrogenated oils?
>>
>>398518
Now that I think of it, I've never seen a black person in a Cracker Barrel.
>>
>>398065
great part of my family died fighting Napoleon on Austrian side , then they fled to Vojvodina, then my greatgreatgrandfather died fighting Russians in WWI, such is a life of a Serb
>>
>Fucks over Gaeta
>Is granted the title of "Duke"
>My great great great great grandmother is a maid
>He bangs her
>She runs away due to the shame of being keked

And thats how I got here
>>
>>398065
Great grandfather was a Regia Aeronautica pilot who was such a die hard fascist he followed Mussolini to Salo.
The he started spying for Badoglio and the Americans, got caught and escaped to France.
And yet he genuinely believed in fascism until his death
>>
My grandfather worked on all Apollo missions including Skylab and Voyager and spent lots of time in the control room you always see on TV. It's neat to hear my mom tell me how their next door neighbor was the voice of Houston ("Houston we have a problem") and all the astronauts families we're friends and teachers and stuff. He's got some neat memorabilia.
>>
>>398516
>muh dead natives
>>
Great grand uncle was the governor of massachusetts, Paul a dever. His cousin William dever was the mayor of chicago
>>
>>398065
my dad helped design the vtol engine in the harrier
>>
Greatest achievement of my family is probably coming to the US in the 19th century.

Thanks senpai.
>>
My grandfather was one of the men who arrested Tojo, he got to learn about radiation from a medical center he was stationed at in Japan after the war, and he fucked a legit hot japanese nurse. then in the 60's he built and sold fallout shelters after the Cuban Missile Crisis.
>>
>>398065
My great grandfather was head of an IRA battalion.
He personally killed 2 British officers and 5 spies.
>>
>>398065
Great-grandparents had Frank Lloyd Wright design their house.
>>
>>398065
One of my ancestors almost became king of England, until he took an arrow to the eye, fucking longbows....
>>
How does one go about discovering their family's identities? I'm from a pretty small family, all my grandparents are dead and I have next to no ties with the past
>>
>>398239
Norwegian patriotism is basically
>richest country on Earth
>least corrupted country on Earth
>vikings
>contribution to culture and art (Grieg, Munch, Ibsen, Wergeland)
>nature
>pretty people
>born with skis on our feet
>>
>>404100
To add on to that, I'm a descendant of Edvard Grieg.
>>
>>398138
So now that I've read the thread it's safe to say I have you all beat

My ancestor is better than your ancestor ha ha !
>>
my great-grandfather was the governor of kalimantan untill the japs had to ruin it.
>>
>>399234
a true hero
>>
One of my great great or whatever grandfathers was a sargeant or something in the Union during the burger civil war and was awarded land

That's it.
>>
>>404105
So I take it you're a manlet too.
>>
my ancestor was Charlemagne himself
>>
>>398065
Related to Priscilla Mullins on my mother's side, so there's that.
Southern family, so of course someone somewhere was in the battle of Hastings.
On my dad's side in India my great great grandpa started a local rebellion against the British at the time.
On that same side, my great uncle ran the Indian Mafia until he was killed during a religious holiday by mudslime competitors.
And one of my other great great uncles and his son owned 3000-4000 villages until the government stripped all that away from us.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 353x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 353x245
>>398065
Great great Grandfather fought with the dervish state, grandfather fought with the Duke of Aostra in WW2 and watched him die, father fought in Ogaden war.
I also dated the daughter of a pirate
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.