[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If anyone was gonna find the point to existence it definitely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: jean-paul-sartre.jpg (67 KB, 720x542) Image search: [Google]
jean-paul-sartre.jpg
67 KB, 720x542
If anyone was gonna find the point to existence it definitely wasn't this guy lmao
>>
>>397941
does someone look a certain way to be smart?

You are a dumb cunt.
>>
>>398042
OP wasn't making fun of his looks, I thought the same thing before I ever saw a picture of Albert "Poo in the Absurd Loo" Camus
>>
Wow sure is /lit/ in here
>>
I'm surprised that /his/ never talks about this memelord considering people herre slobber over other memelords like Židek and Nietzsche
>>
>>398042
Excuse me but I don't give a shit about how he looks

From what I can tell, or to break sartre down into a TL;DR

"I AM DEPRESSED SO MY VIEW ON LIFE IS MORE TRUE AND VALID"
>>
>>398408
What works of his or about him have you read?
>>
>>398415
Is this important for you to know to be able to construct some sort of argument?
>>
>>398423
Not but if what you're getting from him is "I AM DEPRESSED SO MY VIEW ON LIFE IS MORE TRUE AND VALID" it tingles my curiosity.
>>
>>398428

Being and nothingness and search for a method

I have never read a critique of him
>>
>>397941
Is there anything by Sartre I should read? I do not buy into existentialism and especially it as a humanism... Is his literary criticism any good??
>>
Literally the worst philosopher in history.
>>
>>400297
that's a bit harsh
>>
>>400297
He's a less retarded version of Ayn Rand.
>>
>>398392
Kill yourself.
>>
>>400836
That's not saying much
>>
>>400297
How so?
>>
>>401590
>basing your entire fucking philosophy on a lie (free will)

He's a fucking charlatan.
>>
>>403933
There are a lot of good reasons to hate Sartre but I don't think that's one of them
>>
>>401480
It's saying he isn't the worst philosopher in history. All I wanted to have said desu senpai.
>>
>>403951
Are you fucking retarded

You don't just take factually incorrect things and base your fucking philosophy on it. That's religion tier shit.
Noone took free will seriously in his day and age anymore because people like Spinoza and Schopenhauer proved it wrong.

Even his fellow existentialist Camus didn't buy this shit, which is why he ended up being the far superior philosopher.
>>
>>398408

but realy what hes saying is that all things are essentialy absurd, when analised, and this basicaly is true, every thing in itself is absurd, life is absurd and there si no escaping this

so his point was that humans should invent their own point

the fun part here is that you could use this to suppot anything, or in other words, his decision to be anti-fascist for example, was purely idological then, nationalistic even, since he could as well have been a cardcarying nazi, if he made a point out of it, everything being absurd any way

the best part is he is right
>>
>>403992
>mfw Camus BTFO'd Sartre by calling out his worship of communism and apologetics of stalinism

Between a handsome guy and an ugly frog, never trust the ugly frog.
>>
Sartre was an insufferable faggot

Camus teaches you how to be a real man

Reading L'Entranger will change your life for the better
>>
>>404015

>Reading L'Entranger will change your life for the better

how so?
>>
>>404046

It will show to you via a quick and well paced narrative the absurdity of your existence and the inanity of living life under the expectations of those around you
>>
>>404067

but... i know that allready, its part of the hell i live dayly
>>
File: 123933.jpg (99 KB, 317x475) Image search: [Google]
123933.jpg
99 KB, 317x475
Don't know much about his philosophy beyond the basic tenets, but No Exit is a very good play. I really recommend reading it.
>>403933
Humans are sentenced to free will :^)
>>
>>404079

Hell?

Accepting the uselessness of others to your own conception of life is what truly frees a man
>>
>>397941
One eye on the importance of free will, one eye on the streets
>>
>>404067
>>404138

Shedding others is a freeing experience for a while, but it pales in comparison how much shitty your life gets when you realize how absolutely absurd the existence is. How its freeing for some people i never understand.
>>
>>404159

You don't have to shed others. Companionship to me is the purpose for existence at all. The problem is to find a circle of friends and lovers you truly believe in as independant actors instead of allowing yourself to behave among society in-congruent with how you truly feel

Constant desire and it's inherent inability to be filled being the essence of suffering is the oldest philosophical truth in the book and though I don't believe Buddhist material shedding is the right response to that knowledge, certainly I find more peace escaping into the people I know and their minds than money and careers.
>>
>>403957
I know that a lot of people considers Ayn Rand a philosopher, but isn't her more like just a novel writer with weird ideas?

I always had a hard time seeing her as an actual philosopher.
>>
>>404256

By shedding others i meant truly living for yourself and being truly responsible for your own well being first. I didn't meant lack of empathy or ignoring anyone else beside's yourself. I might choose a bad word for that i don't really have that great english and sometimes im kind of 'lost in translation' but i meant mostly, and i agree with what you typed.

I had great interest in Buddhist thought but i also agree with you on that. Its hard not to agree with them on the whole apparent absurd and illusion of existence but i wholeheartedly don't like the whole 'turning a blind eye' on life.

Most of what i understand of it is very contradictory and some just plains silly.
I might to shoot over my abilities tho, im a simple fucking normie after all.
>>
>>404343

Honestly Buddhism has some great principles but despite the meme it is in fact a religion and I feel like metaphysics are entirely too broad for me to ever be able to justify engaging it entirely

Coming back to my original point about Camus though I personally felt like L'Etranger is almost like a guidebook for Buddhist living in a secular flavor

The path of Mersault from the initial banality of his life into his full embrace of motive and consequence, to me, is something that parallels the journey you take into adulthood that I feel so many people struggle with

Being conditioned into reliability upon an over arching establishment while convenient just feeds into the instability of one's sense of self and sooner or later you will either lose the spark of humanity that makes you unique or you will come into your own as an independent actor, and the sooner you make that choice the sooner you can embrace the freedom and positivity of Absurdism
Maybe I'm just reading into it too much but I've never read a book that effected me as much as L'Entranger did
>>
File: 1447598255131.jpg (412 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1447598255131.jpg
412 KB, 800x800
>>404389

No, i think you got that right.
I will definitely read it thoroughly again with little bit less negative mindset and who know's... take care /his/bro.
>>
>>404273
Funny since this is basically exactly what Heidegger said about Sartre.
>>
>>404424

Glad I can pimp Camus out at all! It helped me grasp a lot of difficult thoughts as a young adult, should be taught in schools desu
>>
>>404485
He wasn't wrong
>>
>>397941

Nigga can't even see straight, let alone think straight

He's lucky that Simone groomed and drugged all those college girls for him to assault
>>
File: simone_de_beauvoir_2.jpg (169 KB, 1344x1344) Image search: [Google]
simone_de_beauvoir_2.jpg
169 KB, 1344x1344
>>397941
>tfw no commie philosopher gf to ignore your fucked up eyes.
>>
>>400836
I think he's the opposite of ayn rand... but still retard by a fair bit
>>
File: 1448152058595.jpg (8 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
1448152058595.jpg
8 KB, 300x199
>>397941
>>
>>403961
I'm pretty sure the question of free will is still hotly debated.
>>
>>407541
No it's not you degenerate.

Just because someone says "nu-uh lalala i can't hear you" doesn't mean there's a fucking debate going on. It was settled by logic long before science confirmed it.
You can't even define your free will because it's just a made-up word with no coherent meaning about your retarded sense of autonomy.

FUCK
YOU
NIGGER
>>
File: nihilism.gif (1 MB, 700x552) Image search: [Google]
nihilism.gif
1 MB, 700x552
I wonder if Nihilism is ever going to be prove as the correct life philosophy/meaning of life.
>>
OP here desu this was a joke thread but sartre does have some important things to say I just can't get over the whole idea of him being a hack but that's my personal problem
>>
>>409100
Prove to me with your logic that free will doesn't exist
Right fucking now if you wanna make claims like that you better back them up
>>
File: satyr.jpg (14 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
satyr.jpg
14 KB, 304x475
>>397941
Googly eyed goy btfo
>>
>>409130
How it can exist? If you choices are caused by something then free will is just part of mechanism and there is no real choice. If choices aren't caused by something then they are totally random and you has zero influence over world full of tossed coins.
>>
lmao I never knew he looked like a despicable hentai villain
>>
>>409151
Oh fuck guess you just proved free will doesn't exist, quick go write a book with that thought people need to know what a radical thought man IDK how you disproved free will in two sentences but you did it somehow man congratulations

I'm sorry man but are you fucking serious?

Justify that the world is chaotic or causatic

Please man I really want to hear how you got to this point
>>
>>409130
Read Schopenhauer and Spinoza, degenerate.
>>
>>409172
>Justify that the world is chaotic or causatic

Look everyone, the mystic is mentioning his magic again.
>>
>>409100
Dude, grow the fuck up. The debate between compatabilists and incompatabilists still goes on.
>>
>>409222
>degenerate
>namedrops degenerates
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.