[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SUMER THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: sumerian1.gif (103 KB, 600x1723) Image search: [Google]
sumerian1.gif
103 KB, 600x1723
NEVER FORGET TO
>START WITH THE SUMERIANS

SUMER THREAD
POST SUMER
READ SUMER
WRITE SUMER
WATCH SUMER

ALL THINGS SUMER AND SUMER RELATED ARE TO BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD, THE SUMER THREAD

>INFORMATION ON THE SUMERIAN LANGUAGE
https://mega.nz/#F!D1BxgbRC
>>
>>39718
What's the password?
>>
I didn't do my Akkadian translation homework for tomorrow. Fuck you for reminding me.
>>
>>39718
Do you think the Sumerians had memes? There's examples of wit from Greeks, Romans, and a bit from Babylonians and Carthaginians. There any Sumerians with a sense of humor?

Also, is there a difference between Sumer and Sumeria?
>>
>>39909
I HAD FORGOTTEN TO INCLUDE THE PASSWORD, MANY APOLOGIES.
!RaGObiDwNNY3WhBxIskJpQ
CARRY ON
>>
>>40025
I bet most of the memes weren't written down.

When literacy is so rare that being able to read and write is a craft in and of itself, you don't waste a lot of time.

So they'd probably have about as many dank memes as most tribal societies did.
>>
>>40025
>Do you think the Sumerians had memes?
Absolutely they did. Reading through their popular proverbs is hilarious

http://oaks.nvg.org/sumer-proverbs.html

>Ignoramuses are numerous in the palace.
>A malicious wife living in the house is worse than all diseases.
>For his pleasure he got married. On his thinking it over he got divorced.
> Something which has never occurred since time immemorial: a young woman did not fart in her husband's embrace.
>>
>>40107
But as a civilization rather than a tribal society, wouldn't they have the sophistication that tends to beget things like mantras, sayings, or stances?

I man, hell, look at the Dialogue of Pessimism.
>>
>>40195
>Something which has never occurred since time immemorial: a young woman did not fart in her husband's embrace.

10/10. Sumeria, you did not disappoint me. I knew you were good for something aside from being the oldest civilization in existence and the forerunner to what would become Western tradition.
>>
File: 1431494209281.jpg (125 KB, 723x572) Image search: [Google]
1431494209281.jpg
125 KB, 723x572
>>40195
>The dog gnawing on a bone says to his anus: "This is going to hurt you!"
>>
>>40025
>is there a difference between Sumer and Sumeria?

Nope. "Sumer" is the accurate name, however.
>>
>>40195
Here are some more:
https://legacy.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/2000sumer-proverbs.asp

>He who drinks too much beer must drink water.
The Sumerians knew their shit about avoiding hangovers.
>>
File: might guy.png (373 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
might guy.png
373 KB, 1000x666
>>40195
>To eat is good. When it comes up again, it is bad.
>>
>>40346
>The fox, having urinated into the sea, said The whole of the sea is my urine.

Very profound.
>>
>>39718
Anyone know where the Sumerians come from?

Considering their language is an isolated language (has no roots in other languages) it is most likely that they were there since the neolithic times and developed into what is known today as Sumer.

Compare this to their neighbors, the Semitic speaking nomads and city states who's language may have come from somewhere in north Africa. Meaning they migrated to the Levant at one point.
>>
>>39718
The helmet of Meskalamdug.
>>
>>40463
Try this?
https://www.academia.edu/16374624/Physical_anthropology_and_the_Sumerian_problem_
>>
>>40463

They had a separate Alien clan teach them how to read and write.
>>
File: img_3125.jpg (170 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
img_3125.jpg
170 KB, 1200x1600
A Sumerian royal head dress
>>
>>40463
Some of the places there were probably named by a different culture that was there before the Sumerians, which is why nobody knows what the names meant. Theories say that Sumerians came from the sea and many of the old Sumerian myths are linked with the east, so some people believe they came from nowadays south Iran or something, but everything is just speculation at the moment.
>>
>>40976
Two neat theories I've seen:

First, the Marsh Arabs of Iraq are the descendants of the Sumerians. That region is where Sumer came from (Both refer to themselves as "People of the Marsh" in the Sumerian language, both live the same lifestyle, same agriculture, etc), marsh dwellers who happened upon greatness.

Second, they came from what is now the Persian Gulf. Long ago the gulf was wetlands crisscrossed with rivers. The slow rising of the rivers (As the marshland filled in with water) drove the Sumerians out into the surrounding marshes from which they would then build cities.
>>
>>40195
What does the [mod] beside some of them mean indicate?
>>
>>42362
Maybe they had to modify it a bit to make it understandable in our languages. Babylonian and especially Sumerian has a bunch of metaphors or words that can't be directly translated.
>>
http://www.mycuriousbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/files/LBoE.pdf
>>
>>44579
Please don't. Please never again.
>>
>>45090
What?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.