[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misc. Questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: orpheus3.jpg (51 KB, 640x487) Image search: [Google]
orpheus3.jpg
51 KB, 640x487
Felt like making a thread about a specific question I had but other questions that don't deserve their own threads are also welcome.

Maybe somebody here will know what I am talking about, a few years ago I read what seemed like an academic paper or some kind of essay concerning tyrannical mothers in the ancient world. It described several extreme practices, specifically of women abusing their children in strange and perverted ways. If I remember it correctly it was trying to explain why grown men preferred their own sexual company in the ancient world and what the reciprocal relationship it had with these insane mothers and women. I have a hunch that it probably wasn't historical fact but a fringe interpretation of certain practices and lifestyles. Never the less I would like to read it again because it has a sort of Satyricon feel to it. Anyone know the author or essay title?
>>
>>396715
No, but you might be interested in the Golden Bough.
>>
>>396715
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18002203-the-origins-of-war-in-child-abuse

maybe this?
>>
>>397376
Wow, based.
For anyone who wants to read: http://psychohistory.com/books/the-origins-of-war-in-child-abuse/chapter-8-infanticide-child-rape-and-war-in-early-states/

>>396975
Thank you.
>>
I've got two questions that don't deserve their own thread (since captcha blocks the "select file" button on my phone).

Why did the christian God need a sacrifice to forgive our sins, when he's omnipotent ?

What happened to titled nobles in France when the royal domain came to cover the whole of the country ? How did comte and marquis become empty titles ? Did the king own all the land ? Were all landed nobles his direct vassals ?
>>
>>397717
>Why did the christian God need a sacrifice to forgive our sins, when he's omnipotent ?
Stop being french or vietnamese. Or punctuate like an English speaker.

Also, because of the Jewish context of Christianity combined with the multi-theistic sacrifice religions in the Levant and Empire.

>>397717
>What happened to titled nobles in France when the royal domain came to cover the whole of the country ?
The royal domain never covered all France, it only covered the isle de france. Pre revolutionary France was a patchwork of different feudal de jure relationships, centred on the Versaille system of state coordination. New Left Review has some good articles in the IIRC 1960s-1980s.

>Did the king own all the land ?
God no, look into the revolutionary assignats.
>>
>>397769
But the way english speakers punctuate is ugly...

Is there a theological answer to my first question ?
And for the second one, the royal domain did cover a lot of ground : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Map_France_1477-en_sovereign_B%C3%A9arn.png
>>
>>397934
>...
You mean …
>ugly
Culturally dependent. Not using English on 4chan outside of /int/ is a reportable, bannable rule violation. ;).

>Is there a theological answer to my first question ?
Yes, but I'm not up on that section of theology, I find it to be special pleading and go back to my games with post-spinozans.
>>
why is there no thread dedicated to communication ?
>>
>>396715
Well, considering most, if not all, of the ancient texts describe the lifestyles of the elite and practically ignore the commoners, I would suggest it is a social outlier rather than than a norm. There has always been a difference in the lifestyles of the well off and the dirt stragglers
>>
>>398702
>why is there no thread dedicated to communication ?
GOSUB linguistics thread
>>
>>397717
>Why did the christian God need a sacrifice to forgive our sins, when he's omnipotent ?
There are many interpretations I am sure but omnipotence is not always understood as the ability to do anything in any way but rather the ability to do anything that is logically possible. Perhaps God is bound, to at least a certain extent, by the laws that He established. That being the case it might simply be an established law in this universe that in order to forgive sin God needed to sacrifice Jesus.

The other potential reason I am thinking is more of a practical one. Perhaps God could have simply forgiven sin without the crucifixion. But remember, humankind still has free will and God does not force men to seek his forgiveness. The Old Testament is riddled with populations that knew God yet openly disobeyed him or distorted his laws. It may be possible that the crucifixion was the method determined to cause Christianity to spread farthest and last longest.
>>
>>398761
what does that mean ?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.