[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If when you die there is an afterlife could you willing give
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: lucy-scarlett-johansson-picture.jpg (186 KB, 1363x788) Image search: [Google]
lucy-scarlett-johansson-picture.jpg
186 KB, 1363x788
If when you die there is an afterlife could you willing give up being your individual self?

Simply a thought experiment, that questions how much you need to be you verses letting go, and possibly becoming part of a multi-consciousness that no longer resembles your own individual free will.
Like a droplet of water you dilute into an ocean of consciousness that no longer allows individuality.
Could you let go?
>>
a lot of NDEs "confirm" this is the case, as well as the tibetan book of the dead. if you're able to let go the instant the barrier between your mind and the Mind break down, and not instinctively grasp for corporeality, you will be liberated from death and rebirth.

idk man, I'd like to but I don't think I'd be able to
>>
I don't believe anyone could honestly answer this question.
>>
I don't think I'd be comfortable with that just yet. So if the hindus are right I'm not ready for Moksha and would get reincarnated.
>>
>>394915
M
>>
>>394974
M?
>>
>>394915
How is this shit movie relevant to the topic at hand
>>
>>395249
Not that it should matter, but in the movie Scarlett Johansson's character Lucy gains self awareness with the Universe in a sense losing her individual sense of being. It is fiction that contrives the outcome of losing one's self but she is sexy, and kind of to the point of losing individuality.

Must everything be explained for you?
>>
Sure, why not. I'm just an motley assortment of memes and genes anyway.
>>
>>395477
But are you certain this feeling of emptiness wouldn't leave you wanting to take another chance to live?
If you feel that your life is unfulfilled then you might have an even stronger interest in regaining a more fulfilling life if given the choice instead of diluting into a collective.
>>
No. I want to be a person

There's a good art bell interview where the lady does all of this and goes into the light... and finds it incredibly boring despite the pleasant sensation. Just saying, being dead is dumb
>>
>>394915

Hell no I saw The End of Evangelion! I don't want to be a puddle of Tang. I would be that one guy who was hiding under the desk during instrumentality.
>>
>>395857
>this documentary told me all about what being subsumed by the infinite is like guise
>you can't even play candy crush in it what a joke lmao
>>
>>395857
>>395894

Since those are movies you can't truly expect them to accurately represent the unknown. Movies are made to appeal to the masses, not specific to everything you know, and feel by being you. Most of what an all knowing collective is represented of is left unanswered because it wouldn't make any sense.
Imagine, all people that all ever existed combined as one, how could you imagine that?
People that hated each other null each other out. Conflicts cancelling each other. Envy, hate, love, jealousy, pain, all cancelled out as all become one.

This requires the kind of imagining that I don't believe any of us could.
This is not hollywood movie stuff where the bad guy has different heads morphed into its body, this is imagining all consciousness that ever existed combined as one no longer a single one of us. An all knowing where all lies, and deceptions are void.
>>
>>395958

No. I would not want to be part of a hivemind. Even if the alternative is the lights going out permanently and I cease to exist. I have had a good life. I am not particularly looking forward to the grave but I sure as fuck don't want to be stuck anywhere with every other fucktard that has died throughout history.
>>
>>395910
it's a talk radio show, the woman was screened and referred by a NDE association before even showing up. It was pretty convincing, unlike your tears fag
>>
>>395843
It don't matter.

I'd make the bucket of water slightly more me by being dropped into it. I don't carry any delusions of cosmic importance therefore I'm not that frightened when my insignificance is made glaringly apparent by being averaged out with the rest of humanity.
>>
>>395958
>>395971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lxJTWNy0g4

ignore the tibetan thing, and for all we know she was hallucinating. But it's an interesting view of the topic
>>
>>395971
It's literally the fucking infinite dude, it transcends every category we can think of. Sorry but if that's boring IDK what to tell you
>>
>>395988

I agree, she has no way of affirming it wasn't hallucinations. The floating in blackness she describes reminds me of dreams from my childhood.

I don't know. It is so easy to say this is all paranoia, or any kind of mental disorder. I remember instances of drunken induced confidence, in which there were feelings of:"Of course I knew it without being told." or just some sense of familiarity.
Maybe it is just developing memories of being a baby, being carried. IDK
The topic of when each of us became self aware is more complicated than it seems. The brain doesn't just kick on, and suddenly it all works. We could get instances of brief sights, sounds, and smells as our awareness takes shape.
>>
I tend to lean towards the idea nothing exists after death. However the idea you choose between rebirth and a collective intelligence like a hive terrifies me more than nothing to be honest. You are forced to consciously choose between two options that cause you as an individual to cease existence as if you never were an authentic being anyway. It is literally torture. At least if there is no afterlife you wont be aware of it. I For all the times I hate myself I still believe I would rebel against the idea of stopping being me.
>>
>>398654
'Torn between unreality and illusion' as Cioran put it. No wonder we instinctively choose to reincarnate. Earthly life, relatively speaking, is just comfy af
>>
>letting go, and possibly becoming part of a multi-consciousness that no longer resembles your own individual free will.

Or to use another word, slavery
>>
>>398970
>applying earthly notions to the absolute
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.